PDA

View Full Version : Straight Pool (14.1) racking question

theinel
03-25-2005, 04:22 PM
In the World Standardized Rules (WPA / BCA) section 6.4 "THE RACK" it states "Standard triangle rack with apex ball on the foot spot, 1-ball on the racker's right corner, 5-ball on the left corner."

I was hoping that a 14.1 expert or rules guru could explain what the rational is for specifing which balls are placed in the corner positions as this seems irrelevant to me. I know that these are the balls generally used to contact on the break shot but I still can't figure out why the 1 and 5 are specified. Thanks.

Leviathan
03-25-2005, 04:58 PM
Don't know but I'll venture a guess: it may be because one can see the "edges" of the 1 and 5 better than the "edges" of darker balls, especially in poor light. (This is why it's considered good manners to put a light-colored ball on the spot when you're racking in 8-Ball.)

AS
(not an expert, not a guru--just bored...)

Bob_Jewett
03-25-2005, 05:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> Don't know but I'll venture a guess: it may be because one can see the "edges" of the 1 and 5 better than the "edges" of darker balls,.. <hr /></blockquote>
I think this is correct for now. In earlier versions of the rules for 14.1, the positions of all the balls were specified starting with the 15 on the spot.

nAz
03-25-2005, 09:52 PM
I remember being told by a old timer in Brooklyn that in World tourney play (which he and his old man would sometimes officiated) the balls should always be racked with the 15B in the head spot, the 1B on the bottom left and the 5B on the right. I can not for the life of me remember his reasoning for this, if I ever see him again I gotta ask why again.