PDA

View Full Version : question on a late droped ball

justbrake
03-25-2005, 06:51 PM
I new this was going to happen one day to me or in a game with someone , I shot a ball from the side rail into the corner pocket but it hung up in the pocket so I new it was on the edge and I was wondering how it could stay up and so I went to look at it and it droped in the pocket when I got to it , OK I know your going to ask is it a hard concreat flooring or wood flooring it's a wood flooring did i make it drop by going next to it I don't think so , so is this a good shot or a lose of shot for me , the guy that runs the room said if the opponent was on his way to the table and it fell in while I was looking at it he shoots because he was going to the table when it fell in.

GeraldG
03-25-2005, 07:36 PM
What I've always heard is 5 seconds....if it hangs there more than 5 seconds, it's a miss....if it drops before 5 seconds it counts. The question is, if it does drop after 5 seconds, what do you do with it? If you're playing 9-ball, I guess it would stay down and it would be your opponent's shot....some games I guess you would spot it up...or, would you put it back up in the jaws of the pocket where it was hanging?

theinel
03-25-2005, 07:41 PM
You should look at the WPA / BCA World Standardized Rules "General Rules of Pocket Billiards" section 3.31 "Balls Moving Spontaneously". It mentions that "A hanging ball that falls into a pocket 'by itself' after being motionless for 5 seconds or longer shall be replaced as closely as possible to it's position prior to falling, and play shall continue."

If no one is paying attention the five seconds is pretty hard to gauge.

Leviathan
03-25-2005, 08:04 PM
The WPA/BCA rule is as theinel says. The guy who runs the room was probably thinking of the USPPA (Pro Express) 9-Ball rule that says: "If an object ball or the cue ball should stop at the edge of a pocket, and you get up to take your turn and that ball falls in the pocket, that ball is then put back near the edge of the pocket. You may now take your turn at the table." AS

justbrake
03-25-2005, 09:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote theinel:</font><hr> You should look at the WPA / BCA World Standardized Rules "General Rules of Pocket Billiards" section 3.31 "Balls Moving Spontaneously". It mentions that "A hanging ball that falls into a pocket 'by itself' after being motionless for 5 seconds or longer shall be replaced as closely as possible to it's position prior to falling, and play shall continue."

If no one is paying attention the five seconds is pretty hard to gauge. <hr /></blockquote>

Hi, the ball wasn't hanging more then 3-4 seconds as I went to look as to how it could still be up their and then it droped in as I approched it, I tried to put a ball in the same position to see if it would hold the same way and it couldn't but the room manager said if your oponant was in motion to the table and to shoot and it drops in it's his shot so we left the ball down, just thought I'd asked how it would of been handled other then what was said to me.

Steven

SecaucusFats
03-26-2005, 12:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote theinel:</font><hr> You should look at the WPA / BCA World Standardized Rules "General Rules of Pocket Billiards" section 3.31 "Balls Moving Spontaneously". It mentions that "A hanging ball that falls into a pocket 'by itself' after being motionless for 5 seconds or longer shall be replaced as closely as possible to it's position prior to falling, and play shall continue."

If no one is paying attention the five seconds is pretty hard to gauge. <hr /></blockquote>

Hi, the ball wasn't hanging more then 3-4 seconds as I went to look as to how it could still be up their and then it droped in as I approched it, I tried to put a ball in the same position to see if it would hold the same way and it couldn't but the room manager said if your oponant was in motion to the table and to shoot and it drops in it's his shot so we left the ball down, just thought I'd asked how it would of been handled other then what was said to me.

Steven <hr /></blockquote>

I think you already got your answer from the rule quoted in the previous post. If the ball was hanging for less than 5 second, then it counts as a pocketed balll.

The manager was wrong, so now that's over and done with. Show the manager the rule for future reference and be done with it.