PDA

View Full Version : Sell your pool (cue) soul ..?

theinel
03-26-2005, 02:07 AM
The subject line isn't long enough for me to get the point accross but this came to me as a corrolary to Do you care what your cue looks like? (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ccb&Number=185258&page=0&v iew=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1)

Would you sell your soul to the Pool Gods for a cue (even if it was hideously ugly) that made you play better?

I hope not but I'm guessing that more than a few of us would.

Pied Piper
03-26-2005, 09:55 AM
no. I love the game, and the all the great accesories that come with it. There is a great feeling of spending 5 years to learn to run more than 50 in straights, and even more so when you legitamatly run 100. Money won is twice as sweet as money earned, but satisfication of winning from hard work, is a lot better than lucking out.

Troy
03-26-2005, 10:18 AM
Unfortunately, it ain't the cue, it's the cueist. Aside from having a decent tip, being somewhat straight and a weight you like, there's little difference.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote theinel:</font><hr> The subject line isn't long enough for me to get the point accross but this came to me as a corrolary to Do you care what your cue looks like? (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=185258&amp;page=0&amp;v iew=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1)

Would you sell your soul to the Pool Gods for a cue (even if it was hideously ugly) that made you play better?

I hope not but I'm guessing that more than a few of us would.
<hr /></blockquote>

ceebee
03-26-2005, 10:40 AM
[quote;Would you sell your soul to the Pool Gods for a cue (even if it was hideously ugly) that made you play better? unquote]

First off, I will say that no cue makes you play better. A good cue allows you to play better, because of the comfortable feeling you get in using that particular cue. A good cue is like a good woman. If you can communicate &amp; you are a winning combination, who cares about looks. If you are really, really, dumb enough to get rid of a good cue or a good woman (disclaimer &gt;&gt; unless you find a better combination), you deserve everything you get from doing something stupid.

Most of the cue's feeling is the shaft &amp; tip. The butt is the cue's handle &amp; does provide the weight, length &amp; balance. A decorated butt will NOT necessarily pocket balls for you.

We are all human &amp; we like to display our differences, our station in life &amp; our preferences. So we wear nice clothes, buy a nice case, a nice cue, drive a nice car &amp; mate with other attractive (to us) humans. There are those of us who choose a different direction, than the one defined above, that is their perogative.

The sad part of all this is "players will spend zillions on a cue &amp; not one thin dime on how to use it." You can spend years digging yourself into a level of play, beneath your real capacity, by incoporating poor technique. You could have spent $200 dollars on a few lessons &amp; perhaps have increased your skill level considerably.