PDA

View Full Version : Phenolic tip / ferrule installation instructions

christopheradams
03-26-2005, 08:09 AM
I'm considering putting the phenolic tip/ferrule(all one piece on myself or have it done by my pool tip guy, Can someone point me in the right direction as to how to properly replace a ferrule and especially a phenolic tip/ferule. It seems easy but want to make sure I do it right and won't do it till I see some type of formal instructions. What is the best adhesive? 2 part epoxy? I have some for when I use to put golf clubs together. Can't wait to get this tip installed it looks great, got it on Ebay.

Billy_Bob
03-26-2005, 09:10 AM
The problem is removing the old ferrule. Some of these are screwed on with the wood having threads and threads inside the ferrule. I think I read that they heat them to loosen the glue or something.

Anyway from what I have read, I decided I would never attempt to replace my own ferrule especially since I don't have the proper tools or experience doing this. (And don't want to learn on my cue.) BTW, the tools for doing this are quite expensive - like hundreds of dollars. So I would take it to a good custom cue builder. (I do replace my own tips, tools for doing that are fairly inexpensive.)

Troy
03-26-2005, 10:22 AM
1. Buy a lathe.
2. Practice on a few "junk" cues.
3. Go for it.

OR

Take it to a qualified repair person.

Troy...~~~ Being very blunt today... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote christopheradams:</font><hr> I'm considering putting the phenolic tip/ferrule(all one piece on myself or have it done by my pool tip guy, Can someone point me in the right direction as to how to properly replace a ferrule and especially a phenolic tip/ferule. It seems easy but want to make sure I do it right and won't do it till I see some type of formal instructions. What is the best adhesive? 2 part epoxy? I have some for when I use to put golf clubs together. Can't wait to get this tip installed it looks great, got it on Ebay. <hr /></blockquote>

ras314
03-26-2005, 11:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> 1. Buy a lathe.
2. Practice on a few "junk" cues.
3. Go for it.
<hr /></blockquote>
That is my approach. Now a little advise on what glue, gap between the tenon and capped ferrule, ect, has worked for you would be useful.

Cueless Joey
03-26-2005, 11:22 AM
Keep the shaft upright after gluing.
Use slow-setting epoxy if possible as they are harder.
But, their melting temperature is also higher so future replacement would require more heat to melt epoxy out.

Troy
03-26-2005, 11:24 AM
I have yet to install a combination ferrule/tip so I can't talk from experience.
However, I have done many capped ferrules and they all have relief holes. I have also cut slight relief lines along the length of the ferrule.
I use LoctiteŽ Quicktite or 454 Gel.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr>
That is my approach. Now a little advise on what glue, gap between the tenon and capped ferrule, ect, has worked for you would be useful. <hr /></blockquote>

Fred Agnir
03-26-2005, 11:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote christopheradams:</font><hr> I'm considering putting the phenolic tip/ferrule(all one piece on myself or have it done by my pool tip guy, Can someone point me in the right direction as to how to properly replace a ferrule and especially a phenolic tip/ferule. It seems easy but want to make sure I do it right and won't do it till I see some type of formal instructions. What is the best adhesive? 2 part epoxy? I have some for when I use to put golf clubs together. Can't wait to get this tip installed it looks great, got it on Ebay. <hr /></blockquote>I'd point you to the Chris Hightower video or maybe the Unique Inc video (which I've never seen) if you've never even done a ferule. In fact, I wouldn't recommend it. It's like that crazy saying... if you have to ask...

Anyway, the tricky part of the tip/ferrule combo is that there is no relief hole. I've only installed two. One I drilled a relief hole and tried to fill it with leather. The other I put some relief down the side of the ferrule. Both ended up pretty good, and I'm no repairman.

Fred

Popcorn
03-26-2005, 11:45 AM
"I use LoctiteŽ Quicktite or 454 Gel."

To install ferrules?
You know for a tip ferrule is would not be so bad to drill a very very small relief hole in the side of the ferrule and use black tinted epoxy to glue it. In fact depending what color ferrule you are using you can tint the epoxy any color, light brown what ever. It would be hard to see the hole if done right.

ras314
03-26-2005, 12:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> I'd point you to the Chris Hightower video or maybe the Unique Inc video (which I've never seen) if you've never even done a ferule.

Anyway, the tricky part of the tip/ferrule combo is that there is no relief hole. I've only installed two. One I drilled a relief hole and tried to fill it with leather. The other I put some relief down the side of the ferrule. Both ended up pretty good, and I'm no repairman.
<hr /></blockquote>

I've done one with the 5 min epoxy, no threads, relief hole or grooves down the side. Between .005 and .010 gap between the bottom of a square cut and the tenon. So far the thing has stayed on but it sure seems like the job would be more repeatable if there was no air gap between the "tip" and the tenon.

The Unique inc video on replacing tips, ferrules &amp; tenons does not address the one piece tip ferrule.

BTW the LBM rod I used doesn't make a very satisfactory tip, difficult to get it rough enough to hold much chalk.

Troy
03-26-2005, 03:25 PM
Yup... That's what I was taught about 7 years ago and I'm certainly not the only repair person doing it. Zero failures .

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Quote
"I use LoctiteŽ Quicktite or 454 Gel."

To install ferrules?
<hr /></blockquote>

christopheradams
03-26-2005, 04:01 PM
Thanks for all the tips everyone. I did the right thing and brought it to a quailified tip installer. It's GREAT!!! I love it. I'll try to post some pictures of this masterpiece. I hit a few balls at the place I got it installed and really liked it. I'm gonna break some racks tonight.