PDA

View Full Version : best sneaky petish cue? custom collectors= bad!

06-03-2002, 11:05 PM
nearly all current custom makers have at one time or another dabbled in inexpensive cues that offer great value and thought. many of these usually early career cues are now worth big money. arrggg..the cue collectors out there are messing things up for the player. aren't cues meant to be used? the idea of holding onto something unchalked regardless of price is just wrong to me. cues should be used not hoarded. there are better investment opportunities out there. cues, in my opinion should cost 1/4 of what they do now. it's the damn collector investment folks that raised the prices for all so much recently. perhaps i'm still reeling because i had a chance to buy a Southwest 7 years ago for a fair price..i honestly didn't like the cue that much..i wasn't overwhelmed. still no regrets due to my earlier statement..they are meant to be used. i would have re-sold it by now anyway.
i'm still in the market for an inexpensive yet custom cue..one that i can specify joint style, materials, etc. surely the best available for the price would be from a talented yet unknown cuemaker..they have alot to prove and a following to build. any suggestions? i vastly prefer to purchase something created with care than something mass produced...so i'm leaning now against my Meuccu sneaky pete purchase idea..although i want the cue made with the 5/16-18 joint. any suggestions greatly appreciated. i've been very impressed with Barringer's web site and also with the complete absence of these cues on ebay. unfortunatly they will not make a cue with the said joint.
best regards,
^v^
by the way..for those of you that have kept up with my posts..i'm back in force now. i placed third(*my usual continous third but still great) in a tournament Saturday with a strong competition. even though i haven't had time to practice properly. now i have won a new cue to further experiment with. thanks to all that posted to my questions to catch me up.

06-05-2002, 12:02 AM
predator makes the best sneaky petes so deal with it predator has the better joint and other technology predator plays the best and you can buy one for 300 predator is a custom cue and you can buy one like you want
mike

SPetty
06-05-2002, 09:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> predator makes the best sneaky petes <hr></blockquote>That may be true, but they're so darned ugly!

Kato
06-05-2002, 10:11 AM
Not true!!!!!!! The butt of my Predator Sneaky is both light colored and dark colored, very pretty.

Kato

06-05-2002, 10:56 AM
Possibly for you it might be but not everyone likes that hit style !!! I have played with three one of which i owned and couldnt play with it at all... I also buy and sell customs occassionally and feel that it is a personal preference or otherwise dont you think that all the other cuemakers would go out of business?? Making a statement like that makes me think you dont have a clue to what you are talking about at all !!! Q-BALL

SPetty
06-05-2002, 11:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> Not true!!!!!!! The butt of my Predator Sneaky is both light colored and dark colored, very pretty.

Kato <hr></blockquote>
hahaha. Yes, I agree those parts are nice. It's actually the green part that you didn't mention that I think is nasty and totally ruins it for me.

Cueless Joey
06-05-2002, 11:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Q-BALL:</font><hr> Possibly for you it might be but not everyone likes that hit style !!! I have played with three one of which i owned and couldnt play with it at all... I also buy and sell customs occassionally and feel that it is a personal preference or otherwise dont you think that all the other cuemakers would go out of business?? Making a statement like that makes me think you dont have a clue to what you are talking about at all !!! Q-BALL <hr></blockquote>.............
QB, get a spliced shaft. Drill a 5-inch hole. Fill it up with foam. You might like it. :-)

06-05-2002, 04:21 PM
sounds like you should consider ballinger cues. i have a friend with one and i want one now. get on the end of the list with me.
DUD

06-05-2002, 08:28 PM
Q, the Predators DO require a period of adjustment, as the shooter must get used to NOT compensating for things like English and deflection with regard to the contact point on the OB. The better a player is, the shorter this adjustment period is. The best player I know, who routinely beat world champions in his playing years, took three hours to adjust to my cue. After that, he loved it!
Predator's weakness IMHO is their designs. Most of them are weak at best, the only one I ever cared for is the one Gerda still uses to this day. Still, world domination is probably not a good idea right now anyway. After all, other folks need to make a living too! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

06-06-2002, 11:51 PM
anyone have a recommendation other thgan predator? i plan on adding a 10 spliced predator shaft soon so i would rather an inexpensive cue form a terrific and skilled maker. not necessarily a sneaky pete but in that lower price range. any suggestions?
best regards,
^v^

06-08-2002, 09:17 PM
i like the green it looks good notice how everyone says peradator cues are the best poor guy can only buy predator cue poor guy hah! lucky guy
mike

06-09-2002, 04:52 AM
Also Predator is not considered a custom cue but a production made cue...................................

06-09-2002, 04:56 AM
I know alot of custom cue makers but ill have to say that the wait time for a newly built cue probably would be longer than you want to wait.. I could give you a couple of names if interested e-mail me or private message me and i will reply ..... Q=BALL

06-09-2002, 04:58 AM
Only "lucky" if you like the way they play........

Mike H
06-09-2002, 05:40 AM
I used to own a Ted Harris pete, made from an old Brunswick house cue....it hit great, but the wait for his cues is pretty long....8 mos. to a year.

06-09-2002, 01:45 PM
Alright, with regard to sneaky pete cues, there was a cue maker in Virginia Beach by the name of Dave Bolman, who made an incredible cue. He would custom make any cue or shaft that you wanted, and as fat as I know he could even match the joint that you want.

He works at both Shooters in Norfolk, VA and in Q-Masters in Va. Beach, VA.

If you do get ahold of him, tell him that Doc sent you...

Another good sneaky pete I've shot with was the Players sneaky pete... very good english, and very little deflection... but again, it's your call

Michelle
06-11-2002, 04:52 PM
I definately agree that Predator is a great sneaky pete, but if you are looking for something custom, try Jerry Powers of Jerico cues -- he'll do pretty much anything you want! www.jericocues.com (http://www.jericocues.com)

06-11-2002, 07:38 PM
yeah dave bollman does make a great playing cue, i used to shoot with one, if you want the number it's 757-499-8900, i currently own a phillippi sneaky pete that hits em great, the web address is phillippicustomcues.com

06-11-2002, 10:46 PM
thanks everyone for the suggestions, i'm loooking into them now.
best regards,
^v^

Vagabond
06-11-2002, 10:56 PM
Hi Michele,
I am not going to fall for your tricks and follow u to your store anymore.I maxed out on my plastic after my visit to your store!!! LOL Nah,Just kidding!!
Vagabond