PDA

View Full Version : My first masse' (curve) shot - made pocket

Billy_Bob
03-27-2005, 10:45 AM
I bought my own pool table about a year ago to practice jump and masse' shots (most places near me don't allow these shots).

I have been fooling around and practicing masse shots for about a year. Well I finally made a ball into the pocket during a game with a curve shot! The OB was frozen to a rail and another OB was in the way. Before shooting, I told my friends I was playing with, that I had been practicing these shots, but could not make them yet. I shot - then the CB curved right around the blocking ball and shot the OB into the corner! My friends were going "yea sure you can't make these shots".

Anyway I'm glad I bought that table. I read that it can take 4 years of practice to learn masse' shots. Anyway making that shot will encourage me to keep practicing these shots.

And the way I made the shot was not conscious aiming. I just hiked up my cue and shot. I don't think there is any way I could consciously aim a shot like this and make it. I guess this is a "muscle memory"/calculating power of the mind thing? Amazing what your brain can do on "autopilot". And I guess the last year of practicing these shots just drilled into my brain that I need to hike up my cue and hit the cue ball in a certain spot to make it curve the correct amount? I just pictured where the cue ball should go and that is where it went.

One
03-27-2005, 11:31 PM
Good, you can make the basic massť, now it's time to play position from it too! The videos below are close to the maximum spin you can get with draw and follow, you need experience and knowledge of physics to make any massť with any spin.

ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163/bestshots/Concentrator-draw.masse.position.(2005.03.26).avi 326 KB

ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163/bestshots/Concentrator-masse.position.(2004.11.10).avi 250 KB

XviD codec (http://www.koepi.org/XviD-1.0.3-20122004.exe) (To play videos)

nhp
03-28-2005, 03:47 AM
LOL how about you post a video of you playing pool in real life instead of virtual pool? If you are so concerned about your identity, put a mask on your face.

One
03-28-2005, 04:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> LOL how about you post a video of you playing pool in real life instead of virtual pool? If you are so concerned about your identity, put a mask on your face. <hr /></blockquote>
If I had my own pool table I would always record when I play. When I go to the pool room I play minimum 5 hours and the video camera isn't good enough for so long. I have only 1 replacement battery and I would only be able to record little over an hour. There is also bad lighting in the pool room, and I am afraid someone will steal the camera. A webcam would be better, then you would be able to see me play live.

I would be ashamed to be famous after I make those videos. Then people like you wouldn't leave me alone and start arguing all the time. Sort of like Earl Strickland stuff.
It is better to be anonymous so you can focus on improving your skill instead of wasting time writing autographs.
Is it allowed to wear a mask in tournaments?