PDA

View Full Version : WiFi Hotspot. Ethical Question

Sid_Vicious
03-27-2005, 02:44 PM
Ok there are open, free wifi from business fronts, Hooters being one of them. What's the feeling of simply parking in one of their parking spots outside, and using the connection for half an hour or more? It does take their real estate with your car, but otherwise, would you feel it's OK?

Sid

nAz
03-27-2005, 05:20 PM
nothing wrong with doing that, the airways are free as far as I'm concerned. If the business that have these set up have a problem with someone "war driving" or "LAN jacking" then they should tune down the coverage area of their WiFi. but what they really should be worried about is someone using that network connection to crack outside computer systems where the attacks will be traced back to the wireless network owner not the hacker.

BTW when i log on at home with my Laptop I pick up 4 other wifi networks around my home out of those four two i have not been able to crack they have a strong encryption and so far its been too much trouble to crack. of the other two one is wide open and one I managed to hack in, uh i just did it to see if I can do it. since then I have not bothered to hack in again. ;0

people secure your WIFI! (http://netsecurity.about.com/c/ec/13.htm) /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

check out this site for hotspot spotting in your state. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
http://www.wififreespot.com/

eg8r
03-28-2005, 07:15 AM
That is a tough one. This past weekend I was at a Braves game (that was rained out). While sitting there waiting for the game to start there was a guy surfing the net on his pocket PC. He was using his cell to get a connection. I told him to check if there were any open networks. LOL, sure enough, the Press box network was wide open. It is much nicer waiting for those weather maps/updates to download on that connection rather than his dial-up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

DickLeonard
03-28-2005, 07:35 AM
Naz my sister works in a Developmental Handicapped School, she had one of her autistic students break into a highly
sensitive Defense Computer System. That scares me.

They arrested him and put him in jail and he showed the prisoners how to make long distance calls by whistling the code into the phone. When they opened the phone boxes there was no money in the box, then they decided to send him home before he corruptted the whole system.####