PDA

View Full Version : Opening Match dialog...

Barbarella
03-27-2005, 08:42 PM
I have a dilema.... I play in a lot of amateur women's tournaments, and at the beginning of a match, my opponent walks up shake hands and says "Good Luck". If I am the first to approach, I am expected to say the same thing. This also happens in league play.

I have always struggled with this terminology, because quite frankly I DO NOT wish my opponent good luck! I am there to try to crush her and want the good luck to shine on me! I know this is just habit or tradition for people, but I feel like such a hyprocite when I either say it or receive it because I know neither of us are really wishing the other good luck.

Is there a better opening statement out there that others are using that I could plagarize? (recently when I have to take the initiative, I have just shook hands and mumbled "luck". It seems lame.) Any suggestions? What do the pros say?

Bob_Jewett
03-27-2005, 08:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbarella:</font><hr> I have a dilema.... I play in a lot of amateur women's tournaments, and at the beginning of a match, my opponent walks up shake hands and says "Good Luck".... <hr /></blockquote>
If I want to be irritating, I respond, "I hope we both play well and luck has no part in the game." (Of course there is always some luck in the game.) You can beat them to the punch by saying what I've heard the Europeans say: "Play well!"

RedHell
03-27-2005, 08:48 PM
Barbarella,

I understand your point and share it. I never wish them luck, I find it to be an insult, you know, like; "Good luck, you're gonna need it..."

Instead, I wish them a good game. I'm not sure it works in english as I am french. But I guess, if you walk up to your oppenent and say "Have a good game"... it could work.

I also something wish them fun, something simple that sometimes us, amateur, need to remember... we should always play to have fun !

my 2 cents...

Tom_In_Cincy
03-27-2005, 10:36 PM
Bob,
There are alot of US players I know that also say "Play Well"

I think it is much better than saying 'good luck'

Leviathan
03-28-2005, 05:18 AM
You could smile a pleasant smile and say "Break a leg!"

AS

Later: Or you could quote from Color of Money--"You're goin' down, Eddie."

theinel
03-28-2005, 05:38 AM
I've spent a lot of time on this one over the years and still stuggle with it when it happens. My best answer is just a smile and a nod with the hand shake. If I feel the need to speak I go with "Play well" or something like "Let's give them a good show" but it's mostly the smile and nod for me these days.

I have my biggest problem at the end of a match I just won. If I lost it's easy for me to be gracious but when I win I want to be symathetic yet honest without being rude or arrogant or anything else that could be taken negatively. My best/current effort is just "Thanks" even if they dont say anything or the good old smile and nod which I try to follow up at a later/better time with something more human if I can find a good situation.

Anyone have anything better for the victory acceptance handshake?

cheesemouse
03-28-2005, 10:13 AM
Barbra,

I've always thought about this too and what I like best is the way umpires start a baseball game; "Let's play ball"....with a nice smile, handshake, or whatever......at the end of a match I just won I wait for the loser to speak first and I react to what he/she has said. If I lose the match I just normally shakes hands and try to be gracious (this is a tough one)... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BigRigTom
03-28-2005, 10:29 AM
I like "Let give them a good show."
I like "Have a good game."
I like "Play well."
I like the "Smile and nod."
I like "You're going down...oponent's name here!"
I like to play pool.
I like to win.
I do not wish the other player "Good" luck but I usually say "Good Luck." as a habit.
Now I plan to break that habit.
Thanks Barbara for bring this subject up...it's like the elephant in the room that no one is talking about. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Duckie
03-28-2005, 11:13 AM
One of the nice things about ccb is that I have found alot on here are or have gone through the same things as I do. Normally, what I did has been what others have done in those same situations which makes me feel not so alone.

Same with this subject. Both players are there to win, hopefully in a sportsman like way. I think saying good luck or play well or whatever is just one way to show good sportsmanship.

Me, I say "Thanks" when someone wishes me good luck. Nothing says you have to return the good will, but saying thanks is a way to be nice and show good sportsmanship.

The harder part is at the end of a match. Depending on how the match goes greatly influences how I act or don't. Its not always easy to show good sportsmanship, but I try.

On a side note, The only time I consider my opponet is when I am playing a safe. I didn't come to play to crush anyone, but to play my best, to win, which has nothing to do with who you are playing. When I get to the table, the outcome of the game is in my control not my opponent. I think this attitude has made it easier for me in the before and after in a match.

BigRigTom
03-28-2005, 11:53 AM
Good sportsmanship is easy with the nice guys.
It's those others that are the question marks and seems like too many people fall under "those others" category lately. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif
Anyone got good advice on how to respond to a "dick" who just kicked your butt and now wants to rub it in with UNSPORTSMAN like comments.
"Thanks" doesn't work for me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Deeman2
03-28-2005, 12:04 PM
I usually say' Good Luck" as I don't find it that big a deal. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I might suggest:

A) May your infidel cue burn your insolent hands, you heathen dog...
B) May the force be with me...
C) You're gonna shoot with that?
D) So, everybody says you're a real slug...
E) You might want to pray about now.
F) I did not sleep with your sister...
G) Like racking huh?
H) Hold my chalk would you?
I) May all you're rolls be jelly...
J) Did you want to shoot?
K) How'd you get in the winner's bracket?
L) What happened to your cue stick? Is it supposed to look that way?
M) Can I borrow your chalk, you won't be needing it.
N) Have you racked for me before?
O) Just stay out of my way and you won't get hurt!
P) First tournament, huh?
Q) My sister needs surgery, so....
R) Can I play right handed?
S) That's not your real stroke is it?

Others????

Deeman /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Duckie
03-28-2005, 12:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> Good sportsmanship is easy with the nice guys.
It's those others that are the question marks and seems like too many people fall under "those others" category lately. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif
Anyone got good advice on how to respond to a "dick" who just kicked your butt and now wants to rub it in with UNSPORTSMAN like comments.
<hr /></blockquote>

You don't deal with jerks. Why waste the time. What will you remember more next time you play this guy, that he was rude, or what you need to do to win? I'd go with the latter.

cheesemouse
03-28-2005, 12:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> Good sportsmanship is easy with the nice guys.
<hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Ask him if he looks at the cb or the ob last just before he shots....... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

BigRigTom
03-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Deeman,
I like em all!
How bout this one,

Did you hear what your last opponent said? Well, anyway, don't worry about it, he's just repeating what everybody said.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Steve Lipsky
03-28-2005, 03:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Duckie:</font><hr> Me, I say "Thanks" when someone wishes me good luck. Nothing says you have to return the good will, but saying thanks is a way to be nice and show good sportsmanship.<hr /></blockquote>

Hmmm... the few times I've said "good luck" to an opponent before a match and he's responded with "thanks", I've considered it anything but nice or sportsmanlike.

My personal opinion is people are overreacting here. When someone sneezes, are you consciously wishing that God blesses him? Or are you just saying something entirely silly because that's what we do when someone sneezes?

If you feel the need not to wish your opponent luck, that's perfectly cool. But I think you should offer up something - "play well", as has been suggested. I find "thanks" to be the worst possible response. I still remember the first time someone answered me with that, so that's usually not a good sign of how it can be taken. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

- Steve

MrLucky
03-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Until reading this post I never considered wishing my opponent "Good Luck" a problem! My suggestion for those that have a problem with this courtesy is to just say lets have a good game! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif that for me at least would be a honest approach and desire! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
03-28-2005, 04:45 PM
Barbarella reminds me of the old Jane Fonda movie. LOL At any rate I just say lets have a good game. There are others but nothing to shark me or them, lets play. I mean the whole object of the deal is to play, so why not make yourself comfortable while not trying to intimidate the other.

If someone comes at me, trying to intimadate I don't even aknowledge such comment. That is unless I know them well, then my comment is approriate for the situation. It's not a big deal most of the time. Just be yourself but in some cases I have wished the other good luck. I say that sincerly, knowing it's for all the beans and we both will probably play well. BTW I know I will get the same respect from my opponent as I know them well.

Rod

Wally_in_Cincy
03-29-2005, 06:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Barbarella reminds me of the old Jane Fonda movie. <hr /></blockquote>

caution-partial nudity (tasteful) (http://www.zenskaveznice.cz/images/fotogalerie/fonda-barbarella-hugo-n-102.jpg)

SplinterHands
03-29-2005, 06:43 AM
Thanks Wally. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif