PDA

View Full Version : How long do you have to live?

Nostroke
03-27-2005, 11:04 PM
Take this test or maybe you better not. i kinda wish i hadn't. Turns out my number should be up in 3 years.

http://www.agingresearch.org/calculator/

Deeman2
03-28-2005, 06:52 AM
I have 8 years left....

Barbara
03-28-2005, 07:43 AM
I've got 40 years to go... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Barbara

Cueless Joey
03-28-2005, 07:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> I've got 40 years to go... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>
2o years from now, they'd be able to clone us and preserve our memory. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I'd probably still suck at pool even with a new body.

9 Ball Girl
03-28-2005, 08:15 AM
I got:

Your calculated health span is 95.5 years.

Cueless Joey
03-28-2005, 09:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> I got:

Your calculated health span is 95.5 years. <hr /></blockquote>
They forgot to factor in pool.
Pool cuts down your life expectancy by 60 years. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Smoking-allowed leagues and gambling takes another few years as well.

LARRY_BOY
03-28-2005, 09:40 AM
I owe the grim reaper 2.5 years........typical Monday. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

landshark77
03-28-2005, 09:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> I got:

Your calculated health span is 95.5 years. <hr /></blockquote>

Dang, what are you doing to live that long...it says I'm dead at 67. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Cueless Joey
03-28-2005, 10:22 AM
70.6 year for me. :-(
I'm not planning my retirement then.

9 Ball Girl
03-28-2005, 10:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark77:</font><hr>Dang, what are you doing to live that long...it says I'm dead at 67. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif <hr /></blockquote>I haven’t the slightest. I don’t smoke, drink occasionally—ah I know, I workout and eat good. Maybe that’s it?

sack316
03-28-2005, 04:03 PM
I got 65.2, hate to see what it woulda been if I hadn't quit drinking. Oh well, I'm young and have a good 40 years of abuse yet to do on my body

Popcorn
03-28-2005, 07:17 PM
Mine was 93.4 years. I hope I have enough money to live that long.

Popcorn
03-28-2005, 07:51 PM
"I don’t smoke, drink occasionally—ah I know, I workout and eat good. Maybe that’s it? "

I think that is one of the key factors. I have never drank or smoked and have been a vegetarian for more then 30 years now. I have never been over weight. I just checked and I am 158 today. I think most early deaths are self induced over time. Exercise is real important. I do the tread mill and hit a heavy bag every day plus light weight lifting and stretching. My sister-in-law just had a mini-stroke only two weeks ago (T I A) she is 53. It was a REAL wake up call for her. She now wants to join my wife's yoga class is getting a membership in the wellness center at the hospital, my wife goes there but I like working out at home. Here is the ironic thing, we have dinner at their house from time to time and they used to actually make fun of us because we don't drink or eat meat, we are always the butt of their jokes, now we can't answer all the questions they have for us. I think if you have room, and even if you don't, you should have an exercise place in your house or apartment. Forget building a media room or crap like that, have an exercise room with weight equipment a tread mill and floor mats for the whole family to use. Make it a family thing. Good health is no accident. Now I am off my soap box.

landshark77
03-28-2005, 07:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Quote
"I don’t smoke, drink occasionally—ah I know, I workout and eat good. Maybe that’s it? "

I think that is one of the key factors. I have never drank or smoked and have been a vegetarian for more then 30 years now. I have never been over weight. I just checked and I am 158 today. I think most early deaths are self induced over time. Exercise is real important. I do the tread mill and hit a heavy bag every day plus light weight lifting and stretching. My sister-in-law just had a mini-stroke only two weeks ago (T I A) she is 53. It was a REAL wake up call for her. She now wants to join my wife's yoga class is getting a membership in the wellness center at the hospital, my wife goes there but I like working out at home. Here is the ironic thing, we have dinner at their house from time to time and they used to actually make fun of us because we don't drink or eat meat, we are always the butt of their jokes, now we can't answer all the questions they have for us. I think if you have room, and even if you don't, you should have an exercise place in your house or apartment. Forget building a media room or crap like that, have an exercise room with weight equipment a tread mill and floor mats for the whole family to use. Make it a family thing. Good health is no accident. Now I am off my soap box. <hr /></blockquote>

I can agree to that, however, my grandfather never smoked or drank in his life. He died of cancer...it was all over his body...even his liver and lungs...go figure.

SecaucusFats
03-28-2005, 09:40 PM
I wonder just how much of a role genes play in longevity.

My grandfather smoked cigars until he was 85, he drank 6 to 8 glasses of wine everyday, and was overweight most of his life, yet he lived to be 95. He died of pneumonia. His brother smokes cigarettes and drinks rum, and he's still sharp as a tack. He gets around perfectly well on his own at 100.

My grandmother smoked two packs a day of Lucky Strikes (no filter) and she got cancer and died-- at 90 .

My aunt never smoked, was never overweight, was very picky about her diet, and died from cancer at 64. Go figure.

BTW according to that lifespan calculator I've got eight more years. Hell I better start playing more pool and partying harder, cause time's running out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Popcorn
03-28-2005, 10:12 PM
Genes I am sure have a lot to do with it but you don't need to make your odds worse. Cases like you site are always pointed to but are the exceptions. The main goal is to be active and in good health for your entire life regardless how long that may be. To be over weight barely dragging yourself around, and we see these people everyday, or a smoker gasping for your next breath is not the way to live your life. You can't even do the things you would like to do. They will say that they are enjoying life drinking, smoking and overeating but they are deluding themselves.

SecaucusFats
03-28-2005, 10:29 PM
Just having fun with it Popcorn. Even death can be made light of. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
http://www.offthemark.com/Images/grim/grim07.gif

Rich R.
03-29-2005, 05:00 AM
Nostroke, I'm sorry, but I'm not going to check.
I think I'm on borrowed time now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Keith Talent
03-29-2005, 08:45 AM
These things give me the creeps ... but I can't resist. Gave me 87.4.

And SF ... I wouldn't advocate those bad habits too strongly. My folks have been smoking like chimneys and drinking too much for more than 50 years and are still hanging in there at 75 and 76 ... but that's about all they can do. Hardly would have the energy, and have zero desire, to even take a walk around the block. They'd see us, and their grandkids, a good deal more if they'd give up the puffing, for sure. And if they were just more energetic and able.

DickLeonard
03-29-2005, 02:53 PM
Popcorn my age was 101.2 it is the good eating that does it. The only thing you have wrong is the drinking, the French have been out living us for years and their diet is heavy sauces etc.

The real secret to their diet is they drink one or two shots of a good Brandy a day.####

SpiderMan
03-29-2005, 04:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SecaucusFats:</font><hr> I wonder just how much of a role genes play in longevity.

My grandfather smoked cigars until he was 85, he drank 6 to 8 glasses of wine everyday, and was overweight most of his life, yet he lived to be 95. He died of pneumonia. His brother smokes cigarettes and drinks rum, and he's still sharp as a tack. He gets around perfectly well on his own at 100.

My grandmother smoked two packs a day of Lucky Strikes (no filter) and she got cancer and died-- at 90 .

My aunt never smoked, was never overweight, was very picky about her diet, and died from cancer at 64. Go figure.

BTW according to that lifespan calculator I've got eight more years. Hell I better start playing more pool and partying harder, cause time's running out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
<hr /></blockquote>
My guess is that you will live much longer than that, as your family does seem to be genetically predisposed to longevity. Having arents and grandparents who were active and virile into their 80s and 90s is the single greatest predictor of your own longevity. So, do you want to spend all those extra years in a wheelchair, or dragging around an oxygen bottle?

SpiderMan

Popcorn
03-29-2005, 07:42 PM
I doubt many people see it as medicine but as a recreational drug. Alcohol is a poison that your body is forced to deal with when you drink. Fortunately our bodies can to a degree deal with it but at a cost over time. Drink enough and you die of alcohol poisoning on the spot. Wine is often mentioned for it's healthful benefits but studies have shown that the benefits of wine isn't in the alcohol but in the grape. It's funny, kids think it is grown up to drink, when in reality it is a silly self-destructive childish activity. Unfortunately it is addictive and before they recognize the error of their ways, it is too late.

SecaucusFats
03-30-2005, 12:20 AM
Spider,

I absolutely agree that living a healthy lifestyle is a good thing. That means that smoking, being overweight, not watching one's diet, not getting enough exercise, not getting enough sleep, and being over-stressed are all highly undesirable.

I'm sorry if I came across as advocating any of those things. I was just trying to point out that genes, and luck, have to be factored into the longevity equation, which is why I choose to take the calculator's predictions with a dose of (unhealthy?)skepticism. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Keith Talent
03-30-2005, 01:55 AM
You sound like a Southern Baptist on the subject of booze, Popcorn! But I've seen some recent stories about studies -- nobody actually reads the studies, right? -- that say a moderate amount of beer or hard booze is just as good as wine, so it probably IS the alcohol, not just the grape. Loosens things up a little, like aspirin maybe ... like laughing a little everyday. Possibly clears out some of that bad cholesterol, some have suggested.

Of course, a lot of folks don't know how to stop at 2 or 3 ... took me about 25 years to learn that one. Or maybe I'm just too damn tired to get through a six pack anymore. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Popcorn
03-30-2005, 02:05 AM
Too many factors to consider, and each person would be different. Personaly, I thin people should saty away from it all together. Nope, not a Babtist, in fact I'm not religious at all, I don't believe in god, when your dead, your dead.
http://www.heart1.com/news/mainstory.cfm/262/1

Keith Talent
03-30-2005, 08:27 PM
Amen on the afterlife, Popcorn. And anyway in heaven there is no beer, so why bother, I say.

That site provided better news than I expected -- up to 4 is good! Though 600 calories before you sack out can't be so great. Anyway, I envy you your contentment with vegetarianism ... maybe a couple of Singhas with my saag panir could keep me on such a regimen.

Troy
03-30-2005, 09:32 PM
I'm just fortunate to still be here. I should have died 3 years ago.

SPetty
03-31-2005, 09:03 AM
In heaven, there is no beer
That's why we're drinking it here
And when we're gone from here
Our friends will be drinking all the beer!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif