PDA

View Full Version : Last Pocket 8 Ball Rules

SecaucusFats
03-28-2005, 09:22 PM
Does anyone know where I could find the rules for Last Pocket 8 ball, (that is if any official rules actually exist)?

Thanks,

theinel
03-29-2005, 03:56 AM
I would love to see some comprehensive rules on this 8-ball variation but I all I have seen is an image of a small peice of text from the 1980 BCA rule book (on Bob Jewett's site at http://www.sfbilliards.com/lastpocket8s.gif) which contradicts the current rules about the 8 on the break.

Last pocket is a good handicap for a stronger player and is also good for beginners because it forces them to focus on shape and patterns.

Another good one is called "Player's Eight-Ball" (rules can be found in the New Illustrated Encyclopedia of Billiards by Mike Shamos) where both or one player have to make their set of balls in numerical order. It's sort of a combination of eight and nine ball and really makes you raise your game.

randyg
03-29-2005, 05:50 AM
Last Pocket is a trap. Skilled players very rarely lose in Last Pocket......SPF-randyg

Keith Talent
03-29-2005, 07:06 AM
Randy,

You know last-pocket is the game of choice in el barrio, at least in New York? I heard a curious variation on the rules from a guy I know at work who plays at a bar up in Washington Heights, a Spanish neighborhood in upper Manhattan.

Aside from the usual stuff ... scratching is allowed on the 8, provided you don't sink it; ball in hand in the kitchen, no matter where the balls lie, they play with a rule I'd never heard before.

When you're forced to kick from the kitchen after a scratch (or anytime, I guess) the cb only needs to pass within a hand's distance of the ob! Incoming player has option to play it or give it back, I understand. Imagine the debates and the strategies this must create.

Deeman2
03-29-2005, 07:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> Last Pocket is a trap. Skilled players very rarely lose in Last Pocket......SPF-randyg <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Randy,

Of course you are right. But, I can't count the times a player who couldn't stay with me asked to play last pocket! I guess it is a trap but you have to figure out who's trap it is, don't you? </font color>

Deeman

hhilario
03-29-2005, 08:36 AM
This is the way 8Ball is played in here, Dominican Republic!, so Id guess that the NewYork neighborhood where you've seen it played is a dominican one. In some places the "hands distance" you've mentioned has been replaced by a triangle rack distance.
Why is that? as far as I've discovered, since we don't use the rail-after-ball rule the way to declare a hit as fair enough (even if the ball isn'hit at all) is with the "cuarta" or hands distance.
The requirement are:
1) that you don't have a view of any of your balls of your group
2) is only valid after you hit a rail first
3) exception: if a ball lies near a rail (either blocked or not) within a hands distance, you can hit the rail first, otherwise is a fault.
Drawbacks:
1) it's a dependable rule; not many people will measure the same distance with their hands. Sometimes referees are used to avoid discussions.
2) The kicking ability to kick is reduced to some excepcional ocassions.
Strange, but that is how I've learned.

Keith Talent
03-29-2005, 08:54 AM
Certainly, Washington Heights is heavily Dominican! Didn't know that rule was particular to the group, but guess it must be. Some bars I used to frequent years ago that were mainly black, the game was last pocket, but without the hand's distance rule. And though I don't play much in bars anymore, when a Latino guy comes up to the table, they usually ask to play last pocket, which is fine by me. Takes away most of the garbage bar rules and luck.

bsmutz
03-29-2005, 02:50 PM
When I was growing up, we played 1 and 15 in the side (had to shoot into opposite side from where whoever sank the first one went) as well as last pocket, or bank the 8. Cue ball always went to the kitchen on a scratch. We used to spot balls made on a scratch shot as well, including table scratches (missing your group of balls or hitting the 8 or opponent's ball first) (if not coin-op). I'm sure I have seen some rules on these variations, but I don't know where. I'll check my rule book at home tonight if I remember. Try a web search for 8-ball rules. It may turn something up.

hhilario
03-29-2005, 03:28 PM
They appear on the BCA Rules Book. The available variations juggle with where the 1&amp;15 will go. Also can include sinking the 8 in the same pocket.

smfsrca
03-30-2005, 11:37 AM
The rules are the same as standard 8-ball, except of course, for the 8-ball.
The only questions being:
Must each player have a different last pocket?
If so, then how do you determine your last pocket when your last ball goes into your opponents last pocket?

Fred Agnir
03-30-2005, 12:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote smfsrca:</font><hr> The rules are the same as standard 8-ball, except of course, for the 8-ball.
The only questions being:
Must each player have a different last pocket?
If so, then how do you determine your last pocket when your last ball goes into your opponents last pocket?
<hr /></blockquote>The only way I've seen it played was that your opponent can choose which pocket is yours, as long as it's not a side pocket.

Fred