PDA

View Full Version : Playing the Ghost, A Better way.

christopheradams
03-29-2005, 05:48 AM
I have played the ghost in many of the games to improve my play but recently I found something that has really helped me and wanted to share it with everyone.

Play with another pool stick when you are playing as the ghost. So when its your turn you play with your normal cue and when its the ghost's turn you play with your break cue or a house cue. This has helped me keep track of how I'm doing and keeps me more focused on the game. Its like I am playing another player.
When you are playing the ghost you can have the ghost have a more aggressive game or more of a safety game. You could even play opposite handed when you are the ghost to simulate playing a beginning player. Unless your Efren Reyes and can play just as good opposite handed.

Another thing I thought of is wearing a hat when its the ghosts turn. This may be taking it a bit far but I will try it out. If I do it at my local pool hall I'll really look like a nut case.

I also found playing with another stick when your playing as the ghosts gives you some feedback on how you play with a certain stick. If you are playing better on a regular basis with a house cue or your break stick, chances are your playing cue may have too much deflection or my not suit you.

Playing as the ghost you can do things that you may never do in your own game. If your playing aggresive you can get to shoot some crazy shots you would never try in your normal game.

This may sound crazy to some people, but don't knock it till you try it. It has really helped me to keep focus on long practice sessions. I also found this helps me to keep track of who is who. Sometimes when I just play with my playing cue I tend to just play and by the end of the game I am thinking, how did I do and how did the opponent I was playing against do with no real feed back.

Let me know what you think of this and if you try it out let me know how it works for you. Any other suggestions for playing the ghost?

Heres a few I brainstormed:
1. Playing with the bridge as the ghost
2. Playing opposite handed(all ready mentioned but like the idea)
3. Putting all shots up against the rail
4. Banking all shot
5. Playing safties on all shots except last 2 balls on table.
6. playing all shots one handed
7. Playing all shots with eyes closed after lining up shot(excellent stroke builder)
8. The ghost gets to get ball in hand on every first shot in their inning.

Well thats all I got for now.

GeraldG
03-29-2005, 06:34 AM
That's not really playing the ghost....that's sort of...playing yourself.

To play the ghost, you have to run out to win. The ghost doesn't really get a turn at the table. You break, take ball-in-hand on the first shot and run out. If you miss, the ghost wins.

SplinterHands
03-29-2005, 06:41 AM
Playing the Ghost is the best way I've found to practice nine-ball. You lose if you don't run out, which is normally the case in tournament situations.

GeraldG
03-29-2005, 06:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SplinterHands:</font><hr> Playing the Ghost is the best way I've found to practice nine-ball. You lose if you don't run out, which is normally the case in tournament situations. <hr /></blockquote>

Yep, it's great practice once you get to a point that you can run out at least some of the time starting with BIH. It's not a game you want to gamble on until you can run out pretty consistently, though.

It's probably better to start out playing the 3-ball ghost, then the 5-ball ghost, then the 7-ball ghost, etc.

cheesemouse
03-29-2005, 08:29 AM
Chris A,

I do the same type things in order keep track of who is who when playing races against myself. Join the scatterbrain club kid....LOL

I also play the ghost with any variations I can dream up that change it from a total offense game. Anything to stop the boredom. I like the bridge idea.

As far as your fellow poolhall patrons thinging your a nut case....you'll get more action if they think your nuts......Hahahaha.....

Keep it.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif