PDA

View Full Version : "I can't miss" video

recoveryjones
03-29-2005, 01:06 PM
After watching instructional videos by Bert Kinister, the Monk and various other instructors I've finally thought up a possible way to improve my game.

Here's what I'll do:

I'll get someone to do a video of me shooting pool for an hour.I'll get them to edit out all my missed shots, miscues,headlifts and other imperfections.
I will virtually break and run every rack just like the Monk, Jimmy Reid and Bert Kinister.I'll set up the most complicated of super english shots and record it (when after ten trys,)until I'm finally succesful.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I will watch this tape over and over several times that it is so physcologically and subliminally entrenched into my subconscious.

Does anyone out their think that this could help ones game?RJ

SplinterHands
03-29-2005, 01:19 PM
It might.

BigRigTom
03-29-2005, 01:22 PM
Interesting idea!
My problem would be that I would need an awful lot of tape to get a usuable amount of footage in which I don't miss. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Plummerbutt
03-29-2005, 01:48 PM
Yes, it will work.., and work wonders!! When I was rodeoing for a living, there were 4 of us that traveled together for over a year and a half. One guy always brought his wife along so she could record our bullrides. After about six months of watching all of our rides, both successful and those that wern't, we decided to only watch the best of all our rides. We watched them over and over, complimenting ourselves on our position, foot movement, posture, free arm position and so on. It soon became very apparent that our riding percentages took a positive jump. Ride more and you win more.
Try this. Go have a t-shirt made up that says in large bold letters front and back "I'm The Hottest Thing Going!" Wear it when you play. See what this alone will do for your game. You may be suprised at the difference.
Here's another. Spend 30 days pretending you are Jonnie Archer. I mean really believeing that you are really him. Acting, talking, playing , eating, breathing , sleeping and winning like him. Not just for alittle while each day, but every day all day. Its also important to NOT play any pool in these 30 days (I know, thats a tough one! BUT IT IS IMPORTANT)30 days-4 weeks. Week one. You are Archer (or any world class player), you imagine yourself (Archer) playing 10 games each day. See the game, smell it , hear it, see the ball into the pocket, see the position, always winn by run out. 10 games each day but keep all other aspects alive ("I am Archer and I cannot be beaten!") Week 2, 20 games each day, see it live it, "I am Archer". Week 3, same routine but 30 games a day. Week 4, exactly the same except 40 games each day. Keep score on paper, "me" and "them".
You have just conditioned your mind to believe that you 1) are A World Class Player.., and you KNOW you are because YOU ARE ARCHER! 2) You are world class because you have just played 100 games without a loss! 3) You have not only played 100 games without a loss, but you played them to perfection, they were ALL runouts. 4) YOU, and only YOU are "the hottest thing going."
Now, go strait to the pool hall and see how easliy you win. I guarantee this works and can change not only your game and winning percentages, but it can also change your life!
These leasons were handed down to me from an ex-Hells Angel. Who was at a rodeo in California in the early 70's with his biker buddies and took a dare to ride a bull. He did.., and was absolutly buried in the dirt. However, he got up, decided that he wanted to do it again and with no formal training or schooling, except for using what I have written above, became a Professional Bullriding World Champion (PRCA), get this, within 2 years!
In Bullriding, as in pool, any mental advantage is a very big advantage. However, no advantage is any good unless you have conditioned yourself to believe that you are the best there is.
Sorry for the long post. If you made it this far, then do apply what is written above. It will change your game dramatically. It has changed my pool game, as it did my life!

One
03-29-2005, 03:54 PM
The way you think changes your DNA.

If you think you are the best player ever lived, you will eventually be that! That was what I did, 5 years ago I though I was the best even I wasn't (I admit that now). And then 3-5 years later it become true without me realizing it, because I already thought I was best.

If you say you are the best, I believe you!

"You are what you want to be" - One

Popcorn
03-29-2005, 04:20 PM
Yes it will work and do it. You may just want to get some footage of yourself shooting good and watch it before you practice. Update it as you become a better player. I have a tape of an 80 ball run I did at the pool room with their camera running and when I missed, we looked back at the tape and the run was perfect I could not believe it was me, no problems, tough shots or bail outs, nothing just perfect play. I got the tape from them and when ever I watch it, it is as if I can feel myself making the balls, I feel like I am in stroke. If you read the book Physco Cybernetics it talks about it. It is mental practice but with an added element. It works, believe me.

dr_dave
03-29-2005, 04:33 PM
Here are some other things you might want to edit out of your "perfect" video (believe me, I know from experience):
- shots with dogs barking or other unwanted sound effects
- shots where you hit the tripod by accident before the balls stop moving
- shots with bad shadows or poor lighting conditions
- shots with bad camera views
- narrations with stuttering and other mistakes
- shots with any lapses in technique (stance, stroke, grip, bridge, elbow drop, follow-through, etc.) that might be objectionable to a critical crowd.

Also, be sure to remember to make sure the tape is running and is not close to its end when filming so you won't miss that one time when you perform perfectly.

Until you try to shoot a video yourself, it is tough to appreciate how difficult and time-consuming it can be. And the longer your video sessions go, the worse your performance (and use of bad language) gets. Again, I know from experience.

Regards,
Dr. Dave

PQQLK9
03-29-2005, 04:51 PM
What an interesting post. I certainly agree with it as I try to apply that way of thinking to my daily life. A long time ago I read a quote ...

"Act like the person you want to be and you will be the person you want to be"

Popcorn
03-29-2005, 05:19 PM
I think to accomplish what he wants to do he needs to film from a distance his overall continuos play, not just shots. He needs to see his whole body and himself moving around the table. He also needs to put the microphone right at the table so it picks up the sound of the balls as they hit the pockets and the tip hitting the cue ball. You want the complete experience of playing while just sitting in your chair. Your not looking to analyze your stroke or anything just experience the mental practice of actually playing the game. This little thread could maybe do more for someone's game then anything else that has been talked about in a long time. It could be a secret that could shorten the learning curve, especially for players who don't have the time for a lot of practice.

One
03-29-2005, 05:26 PM
Years ago I used to watch Stephen Hendry on video before I went to the pool room, It felt like I was him when playing! But now I don't watch him anymore because he is not good enough.

One
03-29-2005, 06:08 PM
1st person view video would be better. You can do that with Virtual Pool 3 easy, but in real pool you would need to put the camera on top of your head, but then the view gets too high and it messes up your game if you look at the video.

Popcorn
03-29-2005, 06:44 PM
What takes place on the table is not as important as the movement of the body, that's what you want to see and take in. You see yourself playing and can feel the play. Looking through the players eyes just shows the table. You want to add that other element to it even beyond what you actually experience when playing. People experience it all the time just watching a tournament, they watch good players and go to the pool room and actually play better for a short time, but it wares off. I also think it is better watching yourself rather then someone else who may play well but has slightly different fundamentals then you have. You can pick up a bad habit even from a top player who has funky fundamentals. I hung out with Richie Ambrose for a while and as great a player as he was, I picked up some of what he did, with his chin on the cue and over spinning the balls, it was awful. It took me a month to get back to being myself. It is weird how that happens.

recoveryjones
03-29-2005, 07:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> Years ago I used to watch Stephen Hendry on video before I went to the pool room, It felt like I was him when playing! But now I don't watch him anymore because he is not good enough.
<hr /></blockquote>

Hi "The One",

I've read the flame wars against you and I must admit you make some pretty bold and strong statements.I can see and fully understand why some have decided to flame you.I'm not on your side ,nor theirs,however,having said that, I think you Popcorn, Plummerbutt and Nick might be on to something.

I've read some mental imagary stuff about imagining yourself as unbeatable and the best.Kind of fake it till you make pyschology. What you are doing by claiming to be the best is a technique that is used in many,many,many books on the mental game.It's not something that you have insanely or egotistically dreamed up,or created.This type of proven psychology has been around for a long time.Joe Namath is a legend because despite overwhelming being an underdog he boldly stated, "We are going to win."His team then went on as heavy underdogs to win the Super Bowl.

I have "the Pro Book" by Bob Henning and he suggests making an audio tape with positive statements about yourself, your stroke and your mental state of mind.I wants you to listen to that tape every day to retrain your thought process and create a positive self image.Some of those suggestions by Bob are equally as bold as yours.One of his suggested statements is to say,"I am the best."He also advocates (as many others do)practising imaganitive visual postive self imagary. What many of these authors have suggested is something that I've never applied.I've done all the drills, logged all the hours and came at pool in every conceivable way except in the posistive self image way.

As a matter of a fact I allways get caught up in practising the exact opposite.In a self slandering way I allways say to myself that "I can only perform well in practice and when it really counts I'm going to choke." Then I go out into a match and fullfill my own prophecy.

This isn't a bragging thing, however,if I could produce even
70-80% of my practice game (and stroke)in the real game I would be winning 35 to 40% of the time more often than I do.I'm constantly losing to players that I KNOW I'm much more talented than.I've had friends watch me practice and comment on how good I shoot.I'm not trying to falsely present myself as pro level, however,I know I'm shooting strong A level in practice and at times touching into A+ and yes(when in deadstroke) even elements of pro level.I've been so dissapointed at the contrast between my practice time and meaningful games.

As recentley as a few days ago I very seriously pondered quiting pool.I thought to myself, "Whats the point of playing so great in practice and only rarely being able to bring it out when it really counts.Now instead of quiting, I think I'm going to make me an audio tape and video.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks, RJ

One
03-30-2005, 06:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr>I've been so dissapointed at the contrast between my practice time and meaningful games.

As recentley as a few days ago I very seriously pondered quiting pool.I thought to myself, "Whats the point of playing so great in practice and only rarely being able to bring it out when it really counts. <hr /></blockquote> Play pool to improve, not to win! Pool gets fun if you improve. Winning gives fake happiness, it only depends on your opponent. I used to win more games when I was a beginner, but now I play a more difficult game and lose much more, and when I lose to beginners I don't get upset at all! I focus on the game and try to play as good as possible, this is what makes pool fun. The only thing I don't like is that I need to sit and wait for my turn when I miss (and I miss often). So I rather practice by myself instead.