View Full Version : How about this ...

PQQLK9
03-29-2005, 02:17 PM
http://media.mnginteractive.com/media/paper140/20050329_LOC_TLOCAL.JPG
Delone student records perfect score on SAT
By SARAH MAUSOLF
Evening Sun Reporter

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 -

Teens are willing to do some crazy things to ace the Scholastic Aptitude Test.

In the 2004 movie "The Perfect Score," a posse of students steals the answers to the exam.

Other teens resort to more drastic tactics like studying.

Last June, Hanover resident Cate Shultis earned the perfect score without breaking open special books or even breaking and entering.

As a result, the Delone Catholic High School senior is being courted by a stable of colleges and universities.

At 8 on the morning of the test, Shultis arrived at York Suburban High School armed with a No. 2 pencil and a calculator.

She was calm, although her preparation had been basic: A good night's sleep and "actually eating breakfast for a change."

Three hours later, she finished wrestling with the reading comprehension section and breezing through the math questions.

"Math is so much easier for me because it's so straightforward," she said. "Everything is black and white. You know 2 + 2 = 4."

About three weeks later, she looked up her score online and was stunned to see it - 1600. The perfect score.

"I didn't believe it. I thought the computer had made a mistake," she said.

After a phone message recorded by the testing service and a conversation with a testing official confirmed her score, the accomplishment began to sink in.

"I was pretty excited and pretty happy," Shultis said. "I think the first thing that went through my mind was, 'I don't have to take them again in the fall.'"

In recent months, colleges have been cozying up to the 17-year-old. She won the Wimmer Scholarship Competition at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, a four-year scholarship valued at $84,000. And she netted scholarships to Christendom College in Front Royal, Va., and Franciscan University in Steubenville, Ohio.

Of course, it helps that Shultis is a valedictorian hopeful with a bushel of after-school activities. She keeps busy editing her school newspaper, tutoring Spanish, lobbying against abortion and serving as a historian for her church, St. Vincent De Paul in Hanover. She previously served as co-captain of the debate team and as a student council representative.

In the future, Shultis envisions becoming a pro-life activist and working for the United Nations or the federal government.

She's considering four colleges: Villanova near Philadelphia, Loyola in Baltimore, Md., The Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C., and Franciscan University.

Many teens abide by a "don't ask, don't tell" policy when it comes to their SAT scores. Still, the numbers sometimes leak out - and can lead to hard feelings. Shultis said that wasn't the case for her.

"I think everybody's happy for me. I don't know anyone who was jealous or got upset about it or anything. But it definitely is a secretive thing. People don't like to talk about it unless it's brought up."

Contact Sarah Mausolf at smausolf@eveningsun.com .

Wally_in_Cincy
03-29-2005, 03:06 PM
I took the SAT after being out of school for 5 years. I did not get a 1600.

SnakebyteXX
03-29-2005, 06:56 PM
The average SAT score of the incoming freshmen class at Harvard is 1490. There are several students with perfect SAT scores every year -

The girl in the article you posted sounds like a stand out - she will be pursued by all the top schools with a score like that.

Snake

Saint
03-30-2005, 08:52 AM
My Senior Year of high school, I took my SAT's for like the 5th time and was very happy with my result. I went to brag about it and the first friend I told was like "Nice I got a 1600!".

Really took the wind out of my sails lol.

Rich R.
03-30-2005, 10:06 AM
At first, it appears that this girl is extremely smart.
Then, they mention that she envisions working for the federal government.
That blows her cover. She can't be all that smart. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
03-30-2005, 11:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Then, they mention that she envisions working for the federal government.
That blows her cover. She can't be all that smart. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>Bahahahahaha! I thought the same thing!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric.
03-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Hey Nick,

Not to take away from that girls accomplishments, I do believe in higher education, but higher education/intelligence doesn't always equal success in the working world.

One story comes to mind. There wasa kid I knew named Phil. Phil was the Salutorian(sp?) at my high school. The brainy bastard went to Engineering school at Missouri Rolla and then got a Masters in Engineering from Princeton. He was brilliant. The funny part of the story was that I ran into him about 8 years after high school. He was at work at Bradlees (local department store)!

Eric

Stretch
03-30-2005, 05:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> Hey Nick,

Not to take away from that girls accomplishments, I do believe in higher education, but higher education/intelligence doesn't always equal success in the working world.

One story comes to mind. There wasa kid I knew named Phil. Phil was the Salutorian(sp?) at my high school. The brainy bastard went to Engineering school at Missouri Rolla and then got a Masters in Engineering from Princeton. He was brilliant. The funny part of the story was that I ran into him about 8 years after high school. He was at work at Bradlees (local department store)!

Eric <hr /></blockquote>

Yep, that's about my story too Eric, but WITHOUT all that expensive education and homework. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif St.

eg8r
03-30-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At first, it appears that this girl is extremely smart.
Then, they mention that she envisions working for the federal government.
That blows her cover. She can't be all that smart <hr /></blockquote> C'mon Rich, sooner or later, someone with brains will get a job with the Fed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

eg8r

Rich R.
03-31-2005, 07:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> C'mon Rich, sooner or later, someone with brains will get a job with the Fed. <hr /></blockquote>
It hasn't happened in the past, and I don't expect it to happen in the near future, especially on the higher levels. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif