PDA

View Full Version : George Fells on Late Johny Ervolino-a back handed

Vagabond
03-30-2005, 04:29 AM
Howdy,
George Fells wrote on Late Johny Ervolino, in the April issue of Billiards Digest, under the title-lovable,a sort of(A friend told me about this over the phone.I did not read the article)
Is it the time to write like that especilly when his family and friends are still grieving?
Vagabond

jjinfla
03-30-2005, 05:29 AM
What was it that he wrote about? Can't really tell from your post? Was that really GF in Inside Pool? With the full beard? If so it looks like he is turning into a hermit. Spending too much time in his penthouse overlooking the lake.

Jake

Scott Lee
03-30-2005, 06:39 AM
Geez Jake...GF has had that beard FOREVER!

Scott Lee

Deeman2
03-30-2005, 07:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> Howdy,
George Fells wrote on Late Johny Ervolino, in the April issue of Billiards Digest, under the title-lovable,a sort of(A friend told me about this over the phone.I did not read the article)
Is it the time to write like that especilly when his family and friends are still grieving?
Vagabond <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Vagabond,

Are you saying George wrote bad things about Ervolino? You say you have not read the article but it seems to suggest George was unfair to Johnny's family. I do find that hard to believe as George has always shown respect and even reverence for our great pool players and history.

I have not seen the article but also wonder what could have been so bad. </font color>

Deeman

dmgwalsh
03-30-2005, 08:38 AM
I suggest you read the article before you start characterizing it. I remember seeing a tape of JE playing Earl straight pool and I remember him commentating on a Dallas West/Mike Zuglan match where he was calling Dallas' shots 5 or 6 at a time. When told about this at the end of the tape, Dallas said "Well, Johnny's from the old school and he knows the right way to play." Anyway, nothing in the article detracted from the good impression I got from reading about him elsewhere, and watching and listening to him a little on tape.

Dennis

jjinfla
03-30-2005, 07:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Geez Jake...GF has had that beard FOREVER!
Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>

At first I thought it was Howard Vickory. Maybe GF should use that picture of him above his articles in BD. Of course it could just be the angle that the picture was taken.

Jake

03-31-2005, 02:39 PM
Why don't you get back to us after you've read the piece, Vagabond? Not one comma was meant to disrespect his family; the column simply told the truth. Personally, I liked the guy just fine.

As to other respondents to your thread, (1) yes, I've had the beard for what seems like forever, and (2) yes, it was me in Inside Pool but I haven't seen the pic and didn't even know it was taken. Re the comparison to Howard Vickery, can't say I know whether to be flattered or not. GF

Deeman2
03-31-2005, 02:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 071838:</font><hr> Why don't you get back to us after you've read the piece, Vagabond? Not one comma was meant to disrespect his family; the column simply told the truth. Personally, I liked the guy just fine. <font color="blue"> GF, I have now read the piece and found nothing that I think would offend. </font color>

As to other respondents to your thread, (1) yes, I've had the beard for what seems like forever, and (2) yes, it was me in Inside Pool but I haven't seen the pic and didn't even know it was taken. Re the comparison to Howard Vickery, can't say I know whether to be flattered or not. <font color="blue"> Probably not....I thought the photo was fine but also think a comparison with Manson (Charles, not Marylyn) might have been kinder. Howard has never been a good comparison IMO. Freud might have been better as well...LOL</font color>

Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

04-01-2005, 09:05 AM
Yes, Dee, Charles Manson would make an EXTREMELY flattering comparison for me (especially since he's about four feet nothing). People are always mistaking me for someone (most recently Vin Diesel, as he is equally bald). Good to hear from you again. GF

Deeman2
04-01-2005, 10:09 AM
GF,

Hey, I wish people would mistke me for Vin! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I enjoyed your article on the Derby City Classic very much.

Take care,

Dee (Fondy) Man

Barbara
04-01-2005, 05:44 PM
Vagabond,

I just read GF's article and in no way did I find it backhanded in any way - complimentary or offensive, just in a mascular affectionate tone. Unfortunately I never met Johnny, so as an unbiased reader, I really wish I had met him. George made me feel like I missed meeting a great player you'd like to see regularly in a pool hall.

Did you also read Fran Crimi's letter to the BD Editor in the same issue? It was written in the same way that GF approached the article, but enlightened with a story and an affection that only Fran can convey about one of pool's greatest players that also was a personal friend of hers. She writes very well. Just like she teaches.

I thought the articles did him well. I really do wish I had met him.

Barbara

Brian in VA
04-02-2005, 07:49 AM
I agree Barbara! Fran's letter made me wish I'd met and spent time with the man. Truly a big loss for pool.

If Fran teaches as well as she writes, I need to go take a lesson; her writing of that letter was terrific!

Brian in VA

Barbara
04-02-2005, 09:00 AM
Brian,

Fran is an awesome instructor!

Barbara

JimS
04-03-2005, 04:21 AM
Tap! Tap! Tap!

I too very much enjoyed Fran's letter to the editor. Poetic.

I didn't find anything in tone on content that I thought would be offensive to Ervolino in Fel's article.

Rip
04-03-2005, 06:44 AM
Hi Vagabond,
I also had the privilege of knowing Johnny and didn't feel GF's article was negative. Over the years, I learned a lot by watching Johnny play, listening to his endless stories in incredible detail and from our occassional 1P matches.
There is definitely a void at the Cue Club without him.
Regards,
Rip