PDA

View Full Version : gold crown4 slate problem.

06-04-2002, 07:34 AM
Ok i got some more problems with it but this is weird:
One of the slates has risen a bit and you can hear the balls jump a bit when they roll over it.
Weird thing is the slate is only higher in the midle of the table not on the edges, so how is this possible?, has it bent or something?
Im pretty sure it was perfect when they installed it.

06-04-2002, 05:28 PM
The installer did not use "Liquid Dowels"

06-04-2002, 05:39 PM
I have no idea but i dont know how it can prevent the slate from bending.
They isntalled the table very bad tough ...
Like they just wanted it over quickly.
They damaged a few parts of it and put it together bad .
slates arent level either.

I was affraid for this before i bought it, what good is it to buy a good table if they install it bad?
I even had to pay for it.
I tought ill let proffesionals handle this, they will do it better then me, YEAH RIGHT !!!

Ken
06-04-2002, 05:58 PM
There are very few things that a "professional" can do better than you can do yourself. True, you might have to do a bit of research and educate yourself to do the job properly. The term "professional" means only that you do it for a living. That means you have to get in and get out quickly in order to charge a reasonable rate and still make a good profit. That means that you must cut corners and not waste too much time dealing with the problems that might crop up. "If you want it done right do it yourself".
KenCT

Scott Lee
06-04-2002, 06:18 PM
Ken...I have to respectfully disagree with you here. There are MANY things that I would not try to do myself...although
installing a pool table is not one of them. A professional table mechanic can do a better job than MOST of us, because they do it all the time. Someone who puts together one or two tables a year will not have the same expertise as someone who does 100 tables. Sure, you can do research and get the job done...perhaps even close to as well as the pro.
Personally I'd leave the job to those who do it best...the ones that do it ALL the time, for a living!

Scott ~ leaves plumbing to the plumbers

stickman
06-04-2002, 06:28 PM
I'm not sure I agree Ken. This may be true in some cases, but I know many professionals that are extremely experienced, technically knowledgeable, and take great pride in their craft. I will agree that there are some (so called) professionals that are a disgrace to their professions. I used to be a professional portrait photographer. Damn few people could even think of taking their own portrait and doing anywhere near as good a job as I could do. /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Malcolm, it sounds like the guys that setup your table only call themselves professionals. I don't think that hanging a shingle and charging for your services necessarily makes you a professional.

Ken
06-04-2002, 07:24 PM
Scott, There are many things I would not do myself. Dentistry and surgery come to mind. There are many other relatively simple straight forward tasks such as plumbing, carpentry, auto mechanics and yes, even putting a table together that I have seen so completely botched by the self-professed "professionals" that I would first spend a few hours learning how to do it and then perhaps spend twice the time doing it right. I think I am a little older than you and I have seen a good many "horror stories" of the work that people that call themselves professionals have done. And of course you have to pay the big bucks to get them to do it in the first place.

The last time I brought my car to someone was 30 years ago and it came back with a complete valve job it didn't need with a blown head gasket within a week because of a head bolt that they broke off and didn't bother to repair. The real problem was never identified but I found it easily and it was about a $10 job. Some things are not rocket science.

I have contempt for the many high school dropouts who cast themselves as professionals but don't have any idea what they are doing. There certainly are people who are skilled and take pride in their work. I simply choose not to wade through the mass of those who are idiots to find the few who are worthwhile. If I can't figure out how to do it then most of them can't either.

I can give you horror stories about plumbers, roofers, carpenters, auto mechanics, lawyers, computer technicians, table mechanics, electricians, landscapers, driveway pavers, etc., etc. There is not a single secret in any of these fields that is not readily available to you.

Most professionals strive to do two things only:
1. Get the job done as fast as possible.
2. Do the job in such a manner that the client will not complain too much because it doesn't meet expectations and will feel compelled to pay for the work because it resembles what was originally contracted for.
KenCT

Brady_Behrman
06-04-2002, 09:16 PM
LOL...

Thanks

JimS
06-04-2002, 09:35 PM
I know this one! Liquid Dowel.....without even reading about the problem I know this one.

Up until now I've been only willing to say that it "looks" like Liquid Dowel has taken care of my problem with slate popping.

It's been 6 months of daily play since we reinstalled the slate on my new Diamond Pro and it has worked perfectly. No more popping slate. Prior to that I'd had the table only about two months and both slates had popped.

I'm convinced. This stuff works.

LIQUID DOWEL IS THE FIX!

(Brady and Al, you can email me to find out where to send my endorsement checks.)

Jay M
06-04-2002, 09:40 PM
The people down here that install GC IV's allocate a full day for 4 people for the setup. Those tables have to be done right or you'll never correct them properly without breaking em down and redoing them from the ground up.

Jay M

06-05-2002, 09:33 AM
It tkes me and my assistant roughly 3 1/2 hours to get in set up cover level and out the door....Alot a whopping 2 minutes to use Liquid Dowel and save hours on coming back to relevel the slate...

BEST ADVICE- GET A TRAINED PROFFESIONAL!

Thanks,
Brady

heater451
06-05-2002, 11:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Ken:</font><hr>. . .Term "professional" means only that you do it for a living. . . .<hr></blockquote><blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Ken:</font><hr>. . .I have contempt for the many high school dropouts who cast themselves as professionals but don't have any idea what they are doing. There certainly are people who are skilled and take pride in their work. I simply choose not to wade through the mass of those who are idiots to find the few who are worthwhile. If I can't figure out how to do it then most of them can't either. . . .<hr></blockquote>
It's very strange, I was thinking about the term "professional" the night before last, but I was going the other way. . . .

I was thinking about how college graduates with no true experience can step into a job, and consider themselves "professionals". And, in direct contrast to your "high school dropouts" example, I know of some dropout/"shade-tree" workers, who know their stuff more than some other, 'certified' ones. (Of course, I realize that you weren't necessarily speaking 'absolutely', but I just wanted to show the other side.)

--this line of thinking also reminds me of the bit about having 1 years worth of experience (in anything), and X years of repetition. . . .

Scott Lee
06-05-2002, 11:51 AM
Brady...I can't remember what you said the last time this thread topic came up. Do I buy this stuff from you, or from Al Conte? I want some of this stuff!

Scott Lee

06-05-2002, 06:24 PM
"Liquid Dowels" is available at 800-327-7896. Al

JimS
06-05-2002, 07:46 PM
Hi Scott,

I got it from Brady. He got on it quick and I had it within just a couple days.

Brady_Behrman
06-05-2002, 08:55 PM
Just email me your phone # and I will call you tomorrow...

Brady@q-masters.com

06-06-2002, 06:50 AM
There are people that want to do something good and there are those that dont think it mathers to much ...
Most people are like the last.
I think that those that realy care about billiards will install a table very good, but i think these didnt even think it would be used to play on.
I think they didnt even know anything about pool.
They were measuring the distance of the kitchen line.
If i hadnt been there they would have put it 2 inch short of the second diamond.
I just bought my gold crown the closest to home (100miles away i think)
And they delivered and installed for 200$.
Even if it would have been for free they should have done it good.
What good is it to find the best table if they dont install it good, i realy dont understand them.

stickman
06-06-2002, 07:07 AM
I believe I would contact the people I bought the table from, inform them of the shoddy installation job, and ask for a refund of the installation charge. They may not refund you, but you'll never know til you ask, and at least they'll know you weren't happy. Then I would find a competent, reputable table mechanic to straighten up the table. This isn't something I would attempt myself, but you may feel comfortable attempting to fix it.

stickman
06-06-2002, 07:16 AM
In this part of the country, we are fortunate enough to have a very good table mechanic. The guy is, I'm guessing, in his sixties at least. He has been working on pool tables since he was a young man. I have seen him work at our pool hall and he doesn't get in any hurry. When he leaves, it will be done right.

06-06-2002, 07:18 AM
This is just very hard for me.
You know i talked to these people, they arent bad people at all.
Like i said some people just think it all doesnt realy mather.
For me it does mather so i have a problem...
I feel like im talking bad behind there back and i couldnt say them to do it again either.
I know they dont read this, since they dont care about billiards at all, they just install tables...

06-06-2002, 07:20 AM
Im planning to ask them to fix things when im buying a new cloth.
I just hope they send different people to install it since the cloth was done bad too.