PDA

View Full Version : Pool Instruction tips posted online from my book

christopheradams
03-30-2005, 05:59 AM
I have been working on a pool book off and on for a while now. I have taken tips directly from my book and posted them on my Web site
http://www.christopheradams.com/PoolInstruction.htm
I would like any comments or suggestions about the tips that I have posted on my web site. I would appreciate tips or short articles that anyone would like to contribute to the book.

Just post them here or email them to me. Please include Name (at least first name) and location(at least state) and persmission to include in book so I can give credit for the tips in my book. Don't read anything word for word from a book or post anything that is copyrighted material(Just from your brain). Tips you post may be phrased differently in my own words to
stay away from copyright infringements(in case someone does read word for word from a book) so keep this in mind before postings or pm/emailing me tips. email:chrismichaeladams@yahoo.com

Question to people who have written a book. BlackJack comes to mind as someone who may be able to answer this. In doing research for a book, If I find something in a book I would like to include in my book, can I reference it in foot notes or a bibliography. Example: 9ball rules, or a paragraph grip or stance. Do I have to get permission from the author of the book. I know in college I could write a paper and take things word for word from a book and just include a bibliography.

MrLucky
03-30-2005, 08:30 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif are you a pro ? If so disregard the remaining questions but I thought you were just another pool lover like the rest of us! What is your background for a book? Just asking, I can see interest in BlackJacks book he is a certified Pro level player, I even know one of his early mentors could you provide some reasons for us to buy your tips /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

LARRY_BOY
03-30-2005, 09:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MrLucky:</font><hr> /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif are you a pro ? If so disregard the remaining questions but I thought you were just another pool lover like the rest of us! What is your background for a book? Just asking, I can see interest in BlackJacks book he is a certified Pro level player, I even know one of his early mentors could you provide some reasons for us to buy your tips /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif <hr /></blockquote>

AFTER ALL HE DID RUN 3 BALLS IN A ROW ....SERIOUSLY HE HAS A VIDEO TO PROVE IT!

dr_dave
03-30-2005, 10:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote christopheradams:</font><hr>I would appreciate tips or short articles that anyone would like to contribute to the book.<hr /></blockquote>
Feel free to use my book (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/book_description.html), instructional articles (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/bd_articles/index.html), and website (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/) as references. All of the tip summaries in my Principle Boxes (in the book) are based on extensive research of many other pool books and self study (e.g., from my high-speed video studies (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/high_speed_videos/index.html) and technical proof analyses (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/technical_proofs/index.html)).

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote christopheradams:</font><hr>In doing research for a book, If I find something in a book I would like to include in my book, can I reference it in foot notes or a bibliography. Example: 9ball rules, or a paragraph grip or stance. Do I have to get permission from the author of the book. I know in college I could write a paper and take things word for word from a book and just include a bibliography.<hr /></blockquote>
You don't need permission to quote other books, unless you plan to include significant material (e.g., many paragraphs and/or illustrations). Footnotes are required only for direct quotes and for ideas unique to that particular book (i.e., concepts not appearing in other books). Otherwise, a bibliographic reference is sufficient.

Good luck with your project. I know first hand how much work a well-illustrated book can be.

Regards,
Dave

MrLucky
03-30-2005, 10:59 AM
I'm not hating ! I am just trying to understand ! Hell! I would love to write a book but I doubt anyone would buy it /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif they would be saying Mr Lucky ! .... <font color="red">"WHO???? LOL! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Billy_Bob
03-30-2005, 11:37 AM
I think the best way to learn about something is to write a book about it. You can really learn quite a bit from all the research required for such a project.

I've written a couple of booklets (non-billiards) and it was a lot of fun running around finding out bits of information here and there, doing research, etc.

It *was* a ton of work. I think my book writing days are over though. I like the writing/research part, but I don't like the selling/printing part.

I don't feel you need to be an expert at something to write about it. And I feel you can become an expert on a particular subject if you write a lot about it.

Some writer friends of mine say to have an "angle" when writing a story. And to cover something specific rather than general when producing a publication. I think they call this a niche market. The idea is that you will do better with sales when covering a specific topic rather than covering something in general. i.e. Writing about something which has not been covered before.

So for example with billiards, I can think of a few areas which have not been covered by books. Cue tips is a good one. No one knows anything about cue tips. Everyone is always asking what tip to get, what is the best tip, how hard should my tip be, what shape should my tip be, etc.

So selling a book all about tips would probably be easier to sell than say another book on how to play pool.

It might contain... Results from testing various tips, what works best and why, best tip shape to use on which cue (jump, break, masse', playing), best brand tip to use on which cue, how tips or tip shapes effect deflection, etc.

Unfortunately not much research has been done in this area, and someone would probably need to do testing with a robot to get accurate and scientific results.

Good luck on your project!

christopheradams
03-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the information about quoting books Dr. Dave. It was very helpful.
And thanks for the offer to use ,"Feel free to use my book, instructional articles, and website as references."

BigRigTom
03-30-2005, 12:00 PM
Wow! Dr. Dave, that is a very generous offer. I hope Chris takes you up on it. As I have said many times, I really enjoyed your book and all the references, examples and demonstrations. It has helped me a lot and if Chris can expand on any of the info in your book I would like to see that too.....pool is a lifetime learning experience and there is never enough information if it is accurate and well described, documented, tested and usable.
Good luck Chris...I hope you haven't bit off more that you can chew... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

christopheradams
03-30-2005, 12:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MrLucky:</font><hr> I'm not hating ! I am just trying to understand ! Hell! I would love to write a book but I doubt anyone would buy it /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif they would be saying Mr Lucky ! .... <font color="red">"WHO???? LOL! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Not a pro player Mr. Lucky, but playing 3-4 hours a day, reading everything I could get my hands on about pool, and watching pool at least a few hours a day does qualify me to share my ideas with other people in a book.

MrLucky
03-30-2005, 12:16 PM
Well then can I do volume 2 ? Ive been doing that stuff for over 40 years now ! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

christopheradams
03-30-2005, 12:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> I think the best way to learn about something is to write a book about it. You can really learn quite a bit from all the research required for such a project.

I've written a couple of booklets (non-billiards) and it was a lot of fun running around finding out bits of information here and there, doing research, etc.

It *was* a ton of work. I think my book writing days are over though. I like the writing/research part, but I don't like the selling/printing part.

I don't feel you need to be an expert at something to write about it. And I feel you can become an expert on a particular subject if you write a lot about it.

Some writer friends of mine say to have an "angle" when writing a story. And to cover something specific rather than general when producing a publication. I think they call this a niche market. The idea is that you will do better with sales when covering a specific topic rather than covering something in general. i.e. Writing about something which has not been covered before.

So for example with billiards, I can think of a few areas which have not been covered by books. Cue tips is a good one. No one knows anything about cue tips. Everyone is always asking what tip to get, what is the best tip, how hard should my tip be, what shape should my tip be, etc.

So selling a book all about tips would probably be easier to sell than say another book on how to play pool.

It might contain... Results from testing various tips, what works best and why, best tip shape to use on which cue (jump, break, masse', playing), best brand tip to use on which cue, how tips or tip shapes effect deflection, etc.

Unfortunately not much research has been done in this area, and someone would probably need to do testing with a robot to get accurate and scientific results.

Good luck on your project!
<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for the wishes of good luck. And I agree with many of your comments. I plan add and tweak material as I learn more and more things about this wonderful game. Kinda like a pool players diary of sorts.

christopheradams
03-30-2005, 12:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MrLucky:</font><hr> Well then can I do volume 2 ? Ive been doing that stuff for over 40 years now ! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

You can do whatever you set your mind to do and if you are willing to sit down at a computer and spill your brains, I'm sure it would be very helpful to many people. I think until people start to try to write a book themselves they dismiss how much hard work it actually is.
And if you have any comments for my book, I'm all ears! Very open to anyone's ideas. Thats the main reason I posted this message on the forums, to get feed back about some ideas I posted and to get some info from others about things they would like to see in a pool book.

Bob_Jewett
03-30-2005, 12:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote christopheradams:</font><hr> I have been working on a pool book off and on for a while now. ... <hr /></blockquote>
The thing to ask yourself is: what are you adding? Is your book going to contribute something new, or will it just be a rehash in your words of what is already available at Barnes and Noble? Which books have you read in preparation? (The last time I looked at B&amp;N there were maybe 15 books including 5 that were new within the last year, and there are lots of relatively recent books not at B&amp;N.)

Recently I bought a rather expensive new pool book. I found it completely unreadable. Lousy style, lousy organization, lousy typesetting. The text was a mish-mash of self-promotion and half-baked bogosities. There was essentially nothing new in the book, which cost over $30. How will your book be different from that one?

If you need a list of books, here are some authors of books that should be readily available: Fels, Byrne, Kukla, Capelle, Stauch, Mix, Chin, Tucker, Knuchell, Fancher, Cranfield, Kanov, Rubino, Billing, Pejcic, Bond, Hardesty, Leveck, Hendricks, .... While you're looking for good ideas, be sure to also note what the authors do badly.

christopheradams
03-30-2005, 12:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote christopheradams:</font><hr> I have been working on a pool book off and on for a while now. ... <hr /></blockquote>
The thing to ask yourself is: what are you adding? Is your book going to contribute something new, or will it just be a rehash in your words of what is already available at Barnes and Noble? Which books have you read in preparation? (The last time I looked at B&amp;N there were maybe 15 books including 5 that were new within the last year, and there are lots of relatively recent books not at B&amp;N.)

Recently I bought a rather expensive new pool book. I found it completely unreadable. Lousy style, lousy organization, lousy typesetting. The text was a mish-mash of self-promotion and half-baked bogosities. There was essentially nothing new in the book, which cost over $30. How will your book be different from that one?

If you need a list of books, here are some authors of books that should be readily available: Fels, Byrne, Kukla, Capelle, Stauch, Mix, Chin, Tucker, Knuchell, Fancher, Cranfield, Kanov, Rubino, Billing, Pejcic, Bond, Hardesty, Leveck, Hendricks, .... While you're looking for good ideas, be sure to also note what the authors do badly. <hr /></blockquote>

Hello Bob,
Thanks for your comments.
Does it have to be new to be better? Is anything really new? I think there are proven concepts in pool that come up again and again. There are new takes, new ways of looking at things, but a rehashing of information is not really all that bad.
I've read tons of books about pool and taken bits and pieces and put them in my brain and used this, threw away that, put a maybe try that later to that.
I think a summary of all the things I learned along the way would be helpful to many people. And when I read or learn something about pool I may see it differently than if someone read the same paragraph.
Thanks for your list of books.

Bob_Jewett
03-30-2005, 01:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote christopheradams:</font><hr> ...
Does it have to be new to be better? Is anything really new? ... <hr /></blockquote>
It doesn't have to be new, and considering what has already been written about pool and cue sports in general, it is not so easy to come up with new and useful insights.

However, there is much that is just plain false. I think it is a good idea to avoid republishing lies. Take, for example, the oft-repeated lie that for an object ball frozen to the cushion, you want to hit the ball and rail at the same time. I bring this particular one up because it was spread by a great player in a very popular pool book, and I helped to spread it before I realized the truth. See Koehler and Byrne.

Has your own education progressed to the point where you know Shinola from the other stuff?

If you're not going to include anything new -- you imply that you will just rehash what you've learned along the way -- are you somehow going to improve the presentation over how other people have done it?

And I agree with the other poster that writing a book is a good way to learn a subject, but only if you really think about what you are putting down and how it fits together. And whether it is true. But the majority of self-published pool books that I've seen are not worth much to anyone but the author.

MrLucky
03-30-2005, 01:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote christopheradams:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote christopheradams:</font><hr> I have been working on a pool book off and on for a while now. ... <hr /></blockquote>

If you need a list of books, here are some authors of books that should be readily available: Fels, Byrne, Kukla, Capelle, Stauch, Mix, Chin, Tucker, Knuchell, Fancher, Cranfield, Kanov, Rubino, Billing, Pejcic, Bond, Hardesty, Leveck, Hendricks, .... While you're looking for good ideas, be sure to also note what the authors do badly. <hr /></blockquote>

Hello Bob,
Thanks for your comments.
Does it have to be new to be better? Is anything really new? I think there are proven concepts in pool that come up again and again. There are new takes, new ways of looking at things, but a rehashing of information is not really all that bad.
I've read tons of books about pool and taken bits and pieces and put them in my brain and used this, threw away that, put a maybe try that later to that.
I think a summary of all the things I learned along the way would be helpful to many people. And when I read or learn something about pool I may see it differently than if someone read the same paragraph.
Thanks for your list of books.
<hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <font color="purple">Chris I will always support anyone wanting to try something new and creative, having said that I think you might visit the site of your other post about this arena ! Black
Jack posted some very insightful information and advise ! Peace mr l </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

dr_dave
03-30-2005, 01:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> Wow! Dr. Dave, that is a very generous offer. I hope Chris takes you up on it. As I have said many times, I really enjoyed your book and all the references, examples and demonstrations. It has helped me a lot and if Chris can expand on any of the info in your book I would like to see that too<hr /></blockquote>
I was able to benefit from many other books before me, and I would be delighted to see my work being used and expanded upon by others.

Dr. Dave

Popcorn
03-30-2005, 03:21 PM
I think a lot of the books I have read don't seem to be directed to any particular audience. Some are a complete catch 22. Too basic for the experienced player but would take a knowledgeable player to understand. I have notes I wrote in my file on just safety play in 9-ball that I have compiled over the years. Very sound info and many clever shots that would be overlooked by even the experienced player. These come from the best players I've watched over the years as well as a few of my own. I must have over 200 shots and situations enough for a small book. I have a note book with blank pool tables on the pages, (this would probably be sellable by it's self for shot collecting), that I always had and I would diagram the shots I saw with explanations. I haven't pulled it out in a long time but may rehash the idea of putting it in book form some time. Now you can almost do it yourself with the computer. Back then it would have been expensive as hell and you would only sell so many, nothing you are going to get rich from. Point is, I have never seen a book that just dealt with safety play, (There may be although I have never seen one) so it would be different and new. Just this one subject can be the basis of a book. I don't understand why there aren't volumes written on one pocket. There is plenty new that could be covered on the game beyond, be sure to keep you head over the cue. Pool requires two thing, the physical skill to play and then the know-how to actually play the game and beat somebody. Lots of subjects left to be cover.

DebraLiStarr
03-30-2005, 03:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> Wow! Dr. Dave, that is a very generous offer. I hope Chris takes you up on it. As I have said many times, I really enjoyed your book and all the references, examples and demonstrations. It has helped me a lot and if Chris can expand on any of the info in your book I would like to see that too<hr /></blockquote>
I was able to benefit from many other books before me, and I would be delighted to see my work being used and expanded upon by others.

Dr. Dave <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Dr. Dave,
Do you really think it is wise to display your work with a book that is written/not written by an unqualified author(Christopheradams)? This guy was asking about baking chalk like it was an apple pie the other day. What are his qualifications (if any) or is he going to plageurize all of the material from cool stuff he collected online or ripped off from other websites we have all seen before? That's not a book, it's plageurism.

Christopher, besides posting messages in numbers comparable to Bluewolf, what are your qualifications to write a book about pool, chalk baking, or any of the other subjects you have brought up? I know I might come across as mean, but these are honest questions that many people will have. Are you a famous player posting under an alias? Are you an instructor? I know you discovered the WEI table like Columbus discovered America, but what else have you done that would sway me or anybody to buy your book?
</font color>

SpiderMan
03-30-2005, 04:06 PM
I've done the same thing, collected a bunch of notes on saftety ideas, standard safety setups to always look for, and interesting things to do once you have ball-in-hand. Several I've never seen used by anyone else, even when I saw good players in the perfect situation. Not sure if I have enough for a book yet, but give me another couple of years and I may do it. Clearly there should be an audience for this material. I'll do it on the computer, of course /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SpiderMan

dr_dave
03-30-2005, 04:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DebraLiStarr:</font><hr>
Do you really think it is wise to display your work with a book that is written/not written by an unqualified author(Christopheradams)? This guy was asking about baking chalk like it was an apple pie the other day. What are his qualifications (if any) or is he going to plageurize all of the material from cool stuff he collected online or ripped off from other websites we have all seen before? That's not a book, it's plageurism.<hr /></blockquote>
If he want to cite some of my work, he is welcome. I see no reason to object to that. I am not endorsing his book. I'm just wishing him luck and allowing him to cite my work.

Anyone that is motivated, dedicated, and able to write a book deserves encouragement. If his work is not good and/or if he cannot convince a reputable publisher or distributor to sell it, it will not do very well (unless it is self-published and totally awesome).

Dr. Dave

Popcorn
03-30-2005, 05:17 PM
Like any subject, you can take it apart and find a lot more there then first met the eye. I could put out a book of some kind but why hasen't it already been doen by say Mike Sigal "Captain hook". It would be a lock to sell but with such a small market he wouldn't make any big score. Then again, look at Ray Martins book 99 critical shots, They will be selling that book when he is long gone. In the long run I bet that book has made him a lot of money. Pool players are short sighted though and would want to know how much they will make next week?

christopheradams
03-30-2005, 05:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DebraLiStarr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> Wow! Dr. Dave, that is a very generous offer. I hope Chris takes you up on it. As I have said many times, I really enjoyed your book and all the references, examples and demonstrations. It has helped me a lot and if Chris can expand on any of the info in your book I would like to see that too<hr /></blockquote>

Do you really think it is wise to display your work with a book that is written/not written by an unqualified author(Christopheradams)? This guy was asking about baking chalk like it was an apple pie the other day. What are his qualifications (if any) or is he going to plageurize all of the material from cool stuff he collected online or ripped off from other websites we have all seen before? That's not a book, it's plageurism.

Christopher, besides posting messages in numbers comparable to Bluewolf, what are your qualifications to write a book about pool, chalk baking, or any of the other subjects you have brought up? I know I might come across as mean, but these are honest questions that many people will have. Are you a famous player posting under an alias? Are you an instructor? I know you discovered the WEI table like Columbus discovered America, but what else have you done that would sway me or anybody to buy your book?
</font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Glad you have so many comments for a book you haven't read.

And since I have not copied one word from a book,Website, or other media to write my book, I don't know where you get the plagurism. I wrote the book on my pc with any information I could come up with from my head. If that is plagurism then I don't think any books would get written. I carry a little notebook around and whenever I have a thought about pool, I compare it to my current knowledge of pool and make some notes.

And for discovering the Wei table, I did not know about the table so I shared it in a post with others. I'm sure a lot of other people still don't know about the wei table and how great a tool it is.

As for coming across as mean, I think you know exactly how you come across.
And if you think I'm weird for asking about baking chalk after I heard that another poster on one of the forums had done it, then so be it.
Don't know who bluewolf is and I don't know if your commenting about me posting a lot or a little but I like to post things about pool and use all three of the popular forums to post on.
And I would never put anything in my book that would disgrace anyone elses hard work. I respect peoples time and energy that they put into something like that and take it very seriously.

DebraLiStarr
03-30-2005, 06:14 PM
Glad you have so many comments for a book you haven't read.

<font color="blue">I looked at what you had at your website. The information was vague, kind of beginner-ish stuff. </font color>

And since I have not copied one word from a book,Website, or other media to write my book, I don't know where you get the plagurism.

<font color="blue">Saying you will rewrite everything and change words to ensure that you don't breach copyright isn't very responsible or professional. People that write books usually come up with their own material. Why can't you write your own book?</font color>

I wrote the book on my pc with any information I could come up with from my head. If that is plagurism then I don't think any books would get written.

<font color="blue"> That isn't plageurism. That is where I inquired about your expereince. </font color>

I carry a little notebook around and whenever I have a thought about pool, I compare it to my current knowledge of pool and make some notes.

<font color="blue">You compare your thoughts? You must be bored. </font color>

And for discovering the Wei table, I did not know about the table so I shared it in a post with others. I'm sure a lot of other people still don't know about the wei table and how great a tool it is.

<font color="blue">Your wei table post made me roll on the floor. It has been around for years. You seem to think that all of us are as naive to using these forums as you are. </font color>

<font color="blue">Ask anyone here, I don't care. The sad part is that you don't realize how you come across. </font color>

And if you think I'm weird for asking about baking chalk after I heard that another poster on one of the forums had done it, then so be it.

<font color="blue">Anybody that bakes chalk is either:
a) Bored
b) an idiot

I'll let you decide which of those categories you are in. </font color>

Don't know who bluewolf is and I don't know if your commenting about me posting a lot or a little but I like to post things about pool and use all three of the popular forums to post on.

<font color="blue">Bluewolf is a lady that used to post like 50-75 times a day everyday. She posted on every pool forum, and commented on every post. She is a nice lady, although she does tend to ramble at times excessively. I don't think I am the only person that has made this comparison.

I read this forum and Inside Pool, and sometimes Az. You post the same posts to every single forum and it gets old after a while. Most of the time I ignore your posts. When I saw you were writing a book, I thought it was a joke. </font color>

And I would never put anything in my book that would disgrace anyone elses hard work. I respect peoples time and energy that they put into something like that and take it very seriously.

<font color="blue"> I never said you would disgrace anybodys work. Those are your words, not mine. I should also point out that you are in another pissy fit with someone else on another forum who shares my opinion. Below is you responding to your qualifications:</font color>

<font color="red"> QUOTING CHRISTOPHERADAMS:

I'd hate to hear you when your critical or negative then .

I've posted in the other 2 forums what I beleive my qualifications are. I play 3-4 hours a day, I read everything I can get my hands on about pool, and I watch pool at least 2 hours a day. I have played in tournaments and leagues and I am not a pro player. My best game would be 8-ball I would say. I've played a local bar tournaments with a field as low as 4 and as high as 12 and have won the tournament over 20 times. I have played in an APA league a few years ago and was a 6 rating for 9ball but could not stand the smoke and I work 3rd shift so the times they have league night is a bad time for me so haven't played in apa for a while. I was 7 rating (highest) for 8ball in a Tap league out of Worcester, MA. Some great players play out of there!

I don't think paying $500-$750 or whatever its going for now, to get a piece of paper telling me I'm BCA certified is necessary for me to write a book on the subject. I think BCA certification may be helpful for someone teaching in a one on one setting though. And that may be something I may be interested in, in the future.
</font color>

<font color="blue"> You come across as very obsessive, with limited qualifications, excuses, and then you basically say that you are too good for BCA Certification. That is how you qualify yourself to those that have no idea who you are? The person you responded to was not being critical, just trying to snap you back into reality. I don't think you know what reality is. I asked you very simple questions. Instead of answering them, you skimmed over them and avoided answering them. I don't believe you have any answers, and I think you know that too. </font color>

christopheradams
03-30-2005, 06:29 PM
Well at least you commented about the tips I posted. That's what I am really looking for. Sorry if you find them too beginner-ish, I think more advanced players need to go back to the beginner-ish stuff now and then.

Fred Agnir
03-30-2005, 06:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote christopheradams:</font><hr> I have been working on a pool book off and on for a while now. I have taken tips directly from my book and posted them on my Web site
http://www.christopheradams.com/PoolInstruction.htm
I would like any comments or suggestions about the tips that I have posted on my web site. I would appreciate tips or short articles that anyone would like to contribute to the book.
<hr /></blockquote>Writing a book on pool is a thankless gig, unless you've got something new to offer. People will be critical of your work if you have anything other than the current understanding of the many nuances that are discussed on the internet. Afterall, that seems to be where you get a lot of your information.

It's the misunderstanding of these nuances and continued publication of misinformation that gets some people wondering just what the hell are people thinking publishing some of this crap.

Have a realistic goal. Good luck. Know your audience. And try not to spread misconceptions (or poor form).

Fred

MrLucky
03-30-2005, 07:32 PM
I think minds at this point are made up and any advice is being written off as criticism and or envy! I'll just wait for the "book" to come out ! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

recoveryjones
03-31-2005, 01:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DebraLiStarr:</font><hr> Glad you have so many comments for a book you haven't read.

<font color="blue">I looked at what you had at your website. The information was vague, kind of beginner-ish stuff. </font color>

And since I have not copied one word from a book,Website, or other media to write my book, I don't know where you get the plagurism.

<font color="blue">Saying you will rewrite everything and change words to ensure that you don't breach copyright isn't very responsible or professional. People that write books usually come up with their own material. Why can't you write your own book?</font color>

I wrote the book on my pc with any information I could come up with from my head. If that is plagurism then I don't think any books would get written.

<font color="blue"> That isn't plageurism. That is where I inquired about your expereince. </font color>

I carry a little notebook around and whenever I have a thought about pool, I compare it to my current knowledge of pool and make some notes.

<font color="blue">You compare your thoughts? You must be bored. </font color>

<font color="blue">Your wei table post made me roll on the floor. It has been around for years. You seem to think that all of us are as naive to using these forums as you are. </font color>

<font color="blue">Ask anyone here, I don't care. The sad part is that you don't realize how you come across. </font color>

<font color="blue">Anybody that bakes chalk is either:
a) Bored
b) an idiot

I'll let you decide which of those categories you are in. </font color>

<font color="blue">Bluewolf is a lady that used to post like 50-75 times a day everyday. She posted on every pool forum, and commented on every post. She is a nice lady, although she does tend to ramble at times excessively. I don't think I am the only person that has made this comparison.

I read this forum and Inside Pool, and sometimes Az. You post the same posts to every single forum and it gets old after a while. Most of the time I ignore your posts. When I saw you were writing a book, I thought it was a joke. </font color>

<font color="blue"> I never said you would disgrace anybodys work. Those are your words, not mine. I should also point out that you are in another pissy fit with someone else on another forum who shares my opinion. Below is you responding to your qualifications:</font color>

<font color="red"> QUOTING CHRISTOPHERADAMS:

I'd hate to hear you when your critical or negative then .

I've posted in the other 2 forums what I beleive my qualifications are. I play 3-4 hours a day, I read everything I can get my hands on about pool, and I watch pool at least 2 hours a day. I have played in tournaments and leagues and I am not a pro player. My best game would be 8-ball I would say. I've played a local bar tournaments with a field as low as 4 and as high as 12 and have won the tournament over 20 times. I have played in an APA league a few years ago and was a 6 rating for 9ball but could not stand the smoke and I work 3rd shift so the times they have league night is a bad time for me so haven't played in apa for a while. I was 7 rating (highest) for 8ball in a Tap league out of Worcester, MA. Some great players play out of there!

I don't think paying $500-$750 or whatever its going for now, to get a piece of paper telling me I'm BCA certified is necessary for me to write a book on the subject. I think BCA certification may be helpful for someone teaching in a one on one setting though. And that may be something I may be interested in, in the future.
</font color>

<font color="blue"> You come across as very obsessive, with limited qualifications, excuses, and then you basically say that you are too good for BCA Certification. That is how you qualify yourself to those that have no idea who you are? The person you responded to was not being critical, just trying to snap you back into reality. I don't think you know what reality is. I asked you very simple questions. Instead of answering them, you skimmed over them and avoided answering them. I don't believe you have any answers, and I think you know that too. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Hopefully no hard feelings to you Miss Starr, however,may I suggest to you perhaps....... a valium.

Chris is an enthusiastic guy that eats, breaths ,lives and loves pool.So what if he wants to write a book,more power to him.Furthermore, this is a pool forum and on pool forums you're going to run into the odd pool junkie or two like Chris, myself and a few others.

If your going to carve up the guy like the Christmas Turkey on a POOL forum,perhaps you'd be better off heading to the non pool related forum and cut down some cue stealing,pawn shoppin, crack smokin junkie. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gifRJ

LARRY_BOY
03-31-2005, 03:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DebraLiStarr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> Wow! Dr. Dave, that is a very generous offer. I hope Chris takes you up on it. As I have said many times, I really enjoyed your book and all the references, examples and demonstrations. It has helped me a lot and if Chris can expand on any of the info in your book I would like to see that too<hr /></blockquote>

Do you really think it is wise to display your work with a book that is written/not written by an unqualified author(Christopheradams)? This guy was asking about baking chalk like it was an apple pie the other day. What are his qualifications (if any) or is he going to plageurize all of the material from &lt;a href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=11&amp;k=cool%20stuff" onmouseover="window.status='cool stuff'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;"&gt;cool stuff&lt;/a&gt; he collected online or ripped off from other websites we have all seen before? That's not a book, it's plageurism.

</font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Tap tap tap............ /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DickLeonard
03-31-2005, 06:08 AM
Chris in all the years I set up tables in the home, I never replaced a cloth, they all ended up being used to fold laundry.####

Wally_in_Cincy
03-31-2005, 06:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Point is, I have never seen a book that just dealt with safety play, <hr /></blockquote>

Good point. The first (and only) extensive discussion of safety play that I saw was in Cappelle's "Play your best straight pool" where he devoted a long chapter to it. To me it was like finding the Holy Grail.

dr_dave
03-31-2005, 08:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote christopheradams:</font><hr> Well at least you commented about the tips I posted. That's what I am really looking for. Sorry if you find them too beginner-ish, I think more advanced players need to go back to the beginner-ish stuff now and then. <hr /></blockquote>
Chris,

Congratulations!!! You've quickly learned how to gracefully respond to less-than-supportive forum comments. It took me much longer to learn this skillful art. I am impressed.

Hang in there,
Dr. Dave

dr_dave
03-31-2005, 08:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>Writing a book on pool is a thankless gig, unless you've got something new to offer. People will be critical of your work if you have anything other than the current understanding of the many nuances that are discussed on the internet. Afterall, that seems to be where you get a lot of your information.

It's the misunderstanding of these nuances and continued publication of misinformation that gets some people wondering just what the hell are people thinking publishing some of this crap.

Have a realistic goal. Good luck. Know your audience. And try not to spread misconceptions (or poor form).<hr /></blockquote>
Fred,

That is great advice! It sounds like you have written a book before. Have you? I have enjoyed your InsidePool magazine articles ... they always seem very well researched. Have you considered writing a book? It seems like you have lots of knowledge and experience to share. Also, it seems like your skin is thick enough to hold up to the inevitable criticism.

Regards,
Dave

SpiderMan
03-31-2005, 08:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote christopheradams:</font><hr> Well at least you commented about the tips I posted. That's what I am really looking for. Sorry if you find them too beginner-ish, I think more advanced players need to go back to the beginner-ish stuff now and then. <hr /></blockquote>
Chris,

Congratulations!!! You've quickly learned how to gracefully respond to less-than-supportive forum comments. It took me much longer to learn this skillful art. I am impressed.

Hang in there,
My thoughts exactly. Whether or not he produces a memorable text on pool, apparently Christopheradams has the required thick skin on his ankles. And the emotional maturity to not "need" the last word with his detractors.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
03-31-2005, 09:07 AM
Ditto what Fred, Lucky, and Dave said. No matter what you do, there will be critics, detractors, and general negativity. This will come from experts as well as career ankle-biters. Use it to better your product, and don't take it personally (even when it seems so). Take the high ground, and never wrestle with a pig - you both get dirty, but the pig likes it.

Regarding your level of experience and playing ability - I don't know where you stand. I diagree with those who say that you need to have Pro credentials to publish, simply because knowlege and ability are not 100% linked. A coach may know more than his student, but lack the ability to execute at his level.

However, when gathering an anthology of "tips", you do need the knowlege and experience to sort the wheat from the chaff. Do you have that? If you not, consider sitting on and revising your material over a period of months or years. You may find that your viewpoint changes with experience.

Use several trusted reviewers. Don't repeat bad information. And, for Christ's sake, be a good writer /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Have people read what you say, and verify that it means to them what you thought you were writing.

BTW, there are at least two former CCB users (Dr_D and Bob Felcher) who published well-received material despite being neophyte players. In both cases, they wisely did not stray into areas requiring experience they lacked.

SpiderMan

christopheradams
03-31-2005, 11:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote christopheradams:</font><hr> Well at least you commented about the tips I posted. That's what I am really looking for. Sorry if you find them too beginner-ish, I think more advanced players need to go back to the beginner-ish stuff now and then. <hr /></blockquote>
Chris,

Hang in there,
Thanks Dr. Dave and spiderman. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif