PDA

View Full Version : Pool Cue Joint - Wood-to-wood or Steel-to-steel

Regulator
03-31-2005, 12:35 AM
Hi,

I'm just a beginner. I've been using the cheap 1-piece cues I got with my table (Beach w/Simonis) and I think it's time I bought a better cue.

I'm pretty far from deciding which $250 to $500 cue I'm going to buy, but does anyone have strong opinions on joint type?

Seems like most of them are steel. Is that due to the wear and tear that would hurt wood-to-wood over time?

I've hit a few woods and steels, and some of them feel different, but I'm not experienced enough to know good or bad.

Thanks for your help.

MrLucky
03-31-2005, 08:48 AM
wood to wood is my preference! and it is a preference!.... IMO the properly made wood to wood joint has more feel and a better hit, but it is all up to what you are used to and which feels better to you! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
03-31-2005, 09:13 AM
If you look closely at the steel joint you will find it is often actually just a steel collar and inside that steel ring is a wood to wood facing between the shaft and butt. McDermott makes their cues like this.

Wally <~~ not an expert by any stretch, just trying to help.

JPB
03-31-2005, 11:42 AM
So would you rather have a Gina or Southwest? Perhaps unanswerable. Would you rather have a Southwest or a steel joint Lucasi? Southwest obviously. Hercek or wood to wood mcdermott? Obviously Hercek.

Too many variables to decide on a joint type only.

IMO the thing to do would be to buy a cheaper cue in your price range and keep looking for stuff you like. You will buy more cues anyway. So find a good cue in your price range. There are a million of them if you will spend 500. Custom cues too. If you get production get a 250 cue so you can buy more.

I think more people would recommend the wood to wood, but none of them would turn down a Tad, Hercek, or Gina. So maybe in very equivalent cues of the same price the joint will send you one direction or another.

Also, in your price range, 2 of the best production cues - Joss and Schon, are metal joints. But again, if you spend 500 you can get a lot of different things including getting into lower end plainer customs.

I play w/ a flat face "wood to wood" Capone FWIW. Nice feeling cue.

Jimmy B
03-31-2005, 12:47 PM
I like W2W but just last week I heard a theory that the reason why most new cue makers are going to it isn't due to the hit but rather the fact that most of these new guys don't know how to make a metal joint the right way or just can't do it. I respect this person's opinion very much and this made me think a little.

JB

John_Madden
03-31-2005, 07:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr> I like W2W but just last week I heard a theory that the reason why most new cue makers are going to it isn't due to the hit but rather the fact that most of these new guys don't know how to make a metal joint the right way or just can't do it. I respect this person's opinion very much and this made me think a little.

JB <hr /></blockquote>

I built almost all my cues with the ss - this is my personal preference for my playing cues - always played with the ss joint. But in the last couple of years I have had a lot of customers tell me they preferred the wood to wood - didn't want stainless steel joint. So I changed from the ss - I think all the cues on my website (which is outdated - unless my son in law has gotten it updated with the new cues I am doing - spliced and recut points) has ss joints. Still offer it as an option. But I am wondering if ss are no longer in "style" and that is why the wood 2 wood is seen more often. The style now seems to be a predator shaft - not the custom cuemakers shaft - and everyone wants a moori tip. So maybe wood to wood is the "style" - just a thought.
Jack Madden
www.johnmaddencues.com (http://www.johnmaddencues.com)