PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please

Creekend
03-31-2005, 05:08 AM
If I wanted to spend 6 months in the USA playing just 9 Ball for match expierance where would I go? Are there any really active 9 Ball comunities that would take in a new player from the UK. My preferance would be either the East or West Coast Cities, somewhere with good public transport (I don't drive) and reasonably cheap accomodation...

Can you suggest or recommend any particular Pool Club/Hall where I can build my 9 Ball experience? Thanks.... <font color="blue"> </font color>

randyg
03-31-2005, 06:27 AM
Hardtimes. Belflower, Ca.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-31-2005, 06:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> Hardtimes. Belflower, Ca. <hr /></blockquote>

Is that a high rent district?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Creekend:</font><hr> .. somewhere with good public transport (I don't drive) and reasonably cheap accomodation...
<hr /></blockquote>

9 Ball Girl
03-31-2005, 07:01 AM
I would say any of the 5 boroughs of New York where there is transportation galore--trains, taxi's, car service, etc. I wouldn't choose to live in Manhattan, though, because of the high costs. You can get a room in Brooklyn, Queens, or the Bronx for about $500+ a month or if you choose an apartment, you can get that for about 800+ a month. You may even work out a deal for a short term lease. You can probably even find a room to share which would cut down on your living expenses.

Here's a link if you're interested in apartments/rooms anywhere in the country: Craig's List (http://www.craigslist.com)

Good Luck!

Deeman2
03-31-2005, 07:02 AM
Philidelphia or NYC. The pools just as good but there's much more mass transit.

Deeman

Troy
03-31-2005, 08:47 AM
Hardtimes in Sacramento, CA.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> Hardtimes. Belflower, Ca. <hr /></blockquote>

Eric.
03-31-2005, 09:10 AM
I would have to echo Wendy and say NY. You can get around to plenty of Pool halls by subway or taxi, you'll never need a car. The subway costs $2.00 to go anywhere in the 4 out of 5 boroughs. Look for a place in Brooklyn or Queens. You'll be more "centrally" located and the rent is more reasonable. Philadelphia is a good second choice but they aren't quite as accomodating for someone without a car. The west coast(California) has great Pool BUT CA is the land of car. The public transportation isn't the best. San Francisco has their BART(train) and MUNI (bus) systems, but it's not as extensive as NYC. Living in San Fran or LA(Southern CA) isn't much cheaper than NY either.

*PS-In NY, ther are aprox 20 or more Poolhalls you can play at and get there by public transportation. All the good "players" rooms are subway accesible. If you're staying for 6 months, buy a "monthly MetroCard" which allows you unlimited bus and subway usage for a flat fee of $76 US so incuding the occasional cab, you should not have to pay more than $100 US a month in transportation costs.

Eric

Duckie
03-31-2005, 10:41 AM
California Billiards, Mountain View, California.

Its on a major bus route, and I think there maybe a couple of nice hotels within walking distance.

The owner runs a really good place. He's got some of the tightest pocket tables around. Really a top notch place.

There are two USPPA 9 ball tournaments a week, plus you can get some really good games almost at anytime.

FWIW

Voodoo Daddy
03-31-2005, 10:52 AM
Many Euro-Champs come to the east coast first...NY would be a great choice due to transportation and the Joss Tour...but thats ending soon. Florida would be second choice, the Florida tour is a monster of a test with a large payout, bringing the more talented players down to the sunshine and making friends isnt hard either. Getting around in Fl can be tough with a rented car or a friend with wheels. Its cheaper to live in Florida on the road than it is in NY or Ca... If you choose Ca, Hard Times is the spot. Good luck either way /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Creekend
04-06-2005, 06:02 AM
Thanks!