PDA

View Full Version : WORLD RECORD SCRATCH???

Deeman2
03-31-2005, 07:11 AM
In BCA last night we were doing our normal abuse of the Susie Cues when their best player, Walter, broke and jumped the cue ball off the table. Being in Texas, there was no door between the table and the parking lot. At first Walter could not find the cue ball so we looked outside. Yep, rolling down the inclined parking lot the ball was almost to the street before we saw it. I ran (I normally don't run out of a burning building) to catch it before it got to the street. No luck, it hit the gutter and rolled about 50 more feet before I caught it (ended up I had no reason to worry as they don't have sewers here). Anyway, while an official measurment was not made, I estimate the scratch at about 185 feet. The ball was entirely powered by itself and had no outside assistance. Is this a record? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Deeman

randyg
03-31-2005, 09:24 AM
Let me search the BCA Rule Book.....SPF-randyg

Barbara
03-31-2005, 09:27 AM
LMAO!! This is too funny!

Barbara

LARRY_BOY
03-31-2005, 09:43 AM
I once had a scratch for a week ..... and I thought that was a record!!!!!

Eric.
03-31-2005, 09:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> Is this a record? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

No. A similar thing happenned, but in the other incident, an Eagle swooped down and carried the CB from the street to it's mountaintop nest, high up on the cliff, thinking it was an egg that mistakenly fell out of the nest.

Eric &gt;or something like that... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SpiderMan
03-31-2005, 09:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> In BCA last night we were doing our normal abuse of the Susie Cues when their best player, Walter, broke and jumped the cue ball off the table. Being in Texas, there was no door between the table and the parking lot. At first Walter could not find the cue ball so we looked outside. Yep, rolling down the inclined parking lot the ball was almost to the street before we saw it. I ran (I normally don't run out of a burning building) to catch it before it got to the street. No luck, it hit the gutter and rolled about 50 more feet before I caught it (ended up I had no reason to worry as they don't have sewers here). Anyway, while an official measurment was not made, I estimate the scratch at about 185 feet. The ball was entirely powered by itself and had no outside assistance. Is this a record? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Deeman <hr /></blockquote>
One of my teammates' break shots jumped the table about 10 years ago playing 9-ball. It would have gone through the window and at least twice your "record" distance, had it not hit me in the crotch.

SpiderMan

SPetty
03-31-2005, 09:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> I ran...<hr /></blockquote>BWAAAHAAAHAHAHA! Now that's something I'd like to see!

BTW - Walter should have been the one running after the cue ball.

Barbara
03-31-2005, 09:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>One of my teammates' break shots jumped the table about 10 years ago playing 9-ball. It would have gone through the window and at least twice your "record" distance, had it not hit me in the crotch.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

This is why I move far away from the table when someone's breaking in my direction.

Barbara

One
03-31-2005, 10:09 AM
It depends on the environment.

If you have a pool table in space and the cueball jumps off the table you get a big record. It is up to luck that the cueball chooses the path where a gravity source (planet) doesn't pull the cueball in that soon (billions of years).

Deeman2
03-31-2005, 10:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> It would have gone through the window and at least twice your "record" distance, had it not hit me in the crotch.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Now we know why Spiderman wears that big pouch on his belt! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif</font color>

Deeman

Deeman2
03-31-2005, 10:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> I ran...<hr /></blockquote>BWAAAHAAAHAHAHA! Now that's something I'd like to see! <font color="blue"> Are we saying Deeman is tto porcine to chase a cue ball! I ressemble that remark! </font color>

Deeman

BTW - Walter should have been the one running after the cue ball. <hr /></blockquote>

Wally_in_Cincy
03-31-2005, 10:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> Walter should have been the one running after the cue ball. <hr /></blockquote>

SPetty I was at my dog training class last night (we got a Lab-mix pup)and the lady says "ok now we're going to pick up the pace of our walk and break into a jog", I almost said "sorry lady, I don't jog"

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Deeman2
03-31-2005, 10:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> It depends on the environment.

If you have a pool table in space and the cueball jumps off the table you get a big record. It is up to luck that the cueball chooses the path where a gravity source (planet) doesn't pull the cueball in that soon (billions of years).
<hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">I take great comfort that there are still people out there crasier than me.... </font color>

SpiderMan
03-31-2005, 11:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> I ran...<hr /></blockquote>BWAAAHAAAHAHAHA! Now that's something I'd like to see! <font color="blue"> Are we saying Deeman is tto porcine to chase a cue ball! I ressemble that remark! </font color>
Deeman
<hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>
Maybe if it's tied to a half-slab of Leonard's ribs ....

SpiderMan

SPetty
03-31-2005, 11:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr>If you have a pool table in space and the cueball jumps off the table you get a big record. It is up to luck that the cueball chooses the path where a gravity source (planet) doesn't pull the cueball in that soon (billions of years). <hr /></blockquote>Okay, but suppose he's earthbound like most of us humans? Obviously he made a mistake by not qualifying his question by adding "here on earth"...

highsea
03-31-2005, 11:41 AM
Deeman, I sent one behind the bar one time in this little place I used to frequent. Both myself and my opponent saw it go through the opening where the bartender goes in and out. The back bar was closed at one end, only one opening, and the only hole in the floor had a grate over it. So I went to retrieve it- it was gone. We moved all the kegs, mats, etc. Cleared the entire floor, looked in all the corners, cabinets, etc. We never found it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Edit to add: Lol, this made me think of the worst scratch I ever made. I was playing 3C at the Elks. I was new there, and the 3C guys are very particular. New Veerhoevens, the balls are always cased when not in use, tables are vacuumed when you are done playing and the balls are cleaned before they go back in the case for the next player, then you put the cover back on the table. You get the picture.

Like a dumbass, I tried a force follow shot on a ball against a cushion- hit it too fat and jumped my CB off the table. It went about two feet, but every head turned, and everyone stopped playing until I walked around and picked up the ball, cleaned it and placed it gently back on the playing surface. I felt about 2 inches tall. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Deeman2
03-31-2005, 12:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> Deeman, I sent one behind the bar one time in this little place I used to frequent. Both myself and my opponent saw it go through the opening where the bartender goes in and out. The back bar was closed at one end, only one opening, and the only hole in the floor had a grate over it. So I went to retrieve it- it was gone. We moved all the kegs, mats, etc. Cleared the entire floor, looked in all the corners, cabinets, etc. We never found it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <font color="blue"> This might be the real record if it ended up in the Pacific through the drainpipe.... </font color>

Edit to add: Lol, this made me think of the worst scratch I ever made. I was playing 3C at the Elks. I was new there, and the 3C guys are very particular. New Veerhoevens, the balls are always cased when not in use, tables are vacuumed when you are done playing and the balls are cleaned before they go back in the case for the next player, then you put the cover back on the table. You get the picture.

Like a dumbass, I tried a force follow shot on a ball against a cushion- hit it too fat and jumped my CB off the table. It went about two feet, but every head turned, and everyone stopped playing until I walked around and picked up the ball, cleaned it and placed it gently back on the playing surface. I felt about 2 inches tall. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue"> I think most of us have been there or somewhere close. Jimmy Caras was doing a demo in Denver and selling/pushing Sears slatene tables. He bounced a ball off the table and said, "This stuff is better than slate." He turned to a kid in the crowd (my buddy) and said, "see if you can damage the table with the ball." My buddy, Eric slammed the ball down on the table with a force the surprised me and left a 1 inch deep divot in the table! Mr. Caras shot the entire rest of the exhibition working around that divot.

I think he was embarrassed but covered it well. </font color>

Deeman

Eric.
03-31-2005, 12:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr>If you have a pool table in space and the cueball jumps off the table you get a big record. It is up to luck that the cueball chooses the path where a gravity source (planet) doesn't pull the cueball in that soon (billions of years). <hr /></blockquote>Okay, but suppose he's earthbound like most of us humans? Obviously he made a mistake by not qualifying his question by adding "here on earth"... <hr /></blockquote>

SPetty,

I think the one and only One, in his all knowing way, actually made a mistake! It is a World record, not an Intergalactic record. If this were open to the rest of the Galaxy, then the enlightened One would be correct.

Eric &gt;the return of the great Gazoo

ras314
03-31-2005, 12:40 PM
OK, I can't resist this one. There used to be a upstairs pool hall in Gainsville, Fla. Well, one day an errant cb went thru the window (opened because of the heat). Witnesses on the sidewalk said it hit the pavement and must have bounced into a pickup because it was no were to be found. General consenses was the truck had Calif tags.

Deeman2
03-31-2005, 12:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> OK, I can't resist this one. There used to be a upstairs pool hall in Gainsville, Fla. Well, one day an errant cb went thru the window (opened because of the heat). Witnesses on the sidewalk said it hit the pavement and must have bounced into a pickup because it was no were to be found. General consenses was the truck had Calif tags. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="green"> I humbly surrender to you oh Raz....That has to be the record. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif</font color>

Deeman

ras314
03-31-2005, 02:17 PM
First guy ain't got a chance. Well, might be disquailifed on grounds of the truck providing assistance. LOL

Bet it was a pretty high bounce though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Vapros
03-31-2005, 10:26 PM
This is a little off the subject, maybe, but not much. And just as funny. Joel Vick rounded a corner in his pickup truck one Sunday afternoon on Houston Street in San Antonio and the passenger door flew open. (It was a raggedy-ass old truck) His bowling ball, which he had on the seat beside him, flew out of the truck and into the street, and Joel pulled over to the curb to get it. It was nowhere to be seen, and finally he called the Hermann Sons Lodge to get the rest of us to help him search. We looked for an hour, and never found it. There were stores on both sides of the street, and no place for that ball to go. No broken windows, no suspects around or anything like that, but it was gone and still is, as far as I know.
So we all went back to the lanes at the lodge and Joel borrowed a ball and cleaned us out in a jackpot game. We asked him if he was going to buy a new ball with our money, but he said 'not until I get the latch on that door fixed.'
That was several years ago - 1954, I believe. Eartha Kitt had just recorded Santa Baby. I remember it like it was yesterday. Sort of . . .

ChuckR
04-01-2005, 05:51 AM
I can't go for the distance record, but I once hit a break shot in 9 ball that jumped off of my table, hit the next table in line, jumped off of it and landed on the third table where it came to rest. Thank God that no one was in the way. It seems like everyone in the room stopped play while my opponent describe the shot to everyone. Very embarrassing!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

One
04-01-2005, 10:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> I think the one and only One, in his all knowing way, actually made a mistake! It is a World record, not an Intergalactic record. If this were open to the rest of the Galaxy, then the enlightened One would be correct. <hr /></blockquote>

The record attempt starts around Earth's orbit.

If you would throw a baseball and it flies outside Earth into space, wouldn't it be a world record because it doesn't land on Earth?

How about if the cueball drifts in space and lands back on Earth billions of years later?

Eric.
04-01-2005, 01:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> I think the one and only One, in his all knowing way, actually made a mistake! It is a World record, not an Intergalactic record. If this were open to the rest of the Galaxy, then the enlightened One would be correct. <hr /></blockquote>

If you would throw a baseball and it flies outside Earth into space, wouldn't it be a world record because it doesn't land on Earth?

How about if the cueball drifts in space and lands back on Earth billions of years later?
<hr /></blockquote>

One (not to be confused with The One from AZ Billiards),

Since we are now contemplating a situation that transcends the gravitational confines of the third celestial orb, closest to the Sun, it can be deduced that the debate has now taken on a multi-planetational flavor, possibly an intergalactic level, where situations thus, would nullify the original hypothesis of "World record scratch".

I would propose this only to beings that have an IQ of 99 44/100(also known as the "Ivory soap plateau") or higher.

Eric &gt;on the Astrial plane

Deeman2
04-01-2005, 01:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> I think the one and only One, in his all knowing way, actually made a mistake! It is a World record, not an Intergalactic record. If this were open to the rest of the Galaxy, then the enlightened One would be correct. <hr /></blockquote>

<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Mensa just called. They want their membership card back... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

Deeman

nhp
04-01-2005, 05:27 PM
How about this- A few years ago I was having a really, really, really bad day. It was a day where everything was going against me, so I went to the poolhall to try and blow off some steam. Once I walked into the poolhall I felt better already. I was wearing a brand new $200 watch that I had saved up for a while to buy for myself, and right when I approached the first table, my friend was breaking the balls and he hit the rack too thin, and the cueball went flying off the table, right into my watch. It completely shattered the glass covering, watch ruined. That was the worst scratch I can think of, for me, and I didn't even do it!!

Chopstick
04-02-2005, 10:01 AM

<hr /></blockquote>

No, now that is not correct. In order to be ruled a scratch it would have to initiated during a game in progress. In order for a game to be played it would have to occur on a surface that is within, and perpendicular to a gravity well. Otherwise there would be nothing to hold the cue ball in contact with the surface so that it would, after having energy applied to it, leave thereby resulting the the aforementioned scratch.

Now if the game occured in orbit and energy were applied to the cue ball it would not proceed in a direction that is forward relative to it's original position but would in fact rise into a higher orbit and it's horizontal position relative to it's starting point would remain the same. Thus it would not proceed beyond the outer boundries of the table and could not be ruled a scratch. It would, as it loses energy and it's orbit decays come back to rest on the table.

This is actually a technique employed by certain unscrupulous one pocket players to escape the evil traps I have set for them. It is called <font color="blue">F</font color>oregoing a <font color="blue"> R</font color>egion <font color="blue"> O</font color>f <font color="blue"> Gravity </font color> or FROG for short.

The real question that must be addressed is what happens to the chalk when it is exposed to the vaccuum of space. There are two opposing points of view on this issue. One point is that any moisture within the chalk would immediately evaporate thus eliminating the need to bake your chalk in space. The other is that the cold would freeze it into ice crystals and lock within the chalk before it would have a chance to evaporate thus creating an even greater need to bake it.

Perhaps you can shed some light on this issue. Do you bake your chalk in space or do you just tape a couple pieces to the hull when you go for a spin?

nhp
04-03-2005, 01:32 AM
I'm positive that One bakes his chalk in space right next to his pot brownies.

One
04-03-2005, 09:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr>
No, now that is not correct. In order to be ruled a scratch it would have to initiated during a game in progress. In order for a game to be played it would have to occur on a surface that is within, and perpendicular to a gravity well. Otherwise there would be nothing to hold the cue ball in contact with the surface so that it would, after having energy applied to it, leave thereby resulting the the aforementioned scratch.

Now if the game occured in orbit and energy were applied to the cue ball it would not proceed in a direction that is forward relative to it's original position but would in fact rise into a higher orbit and it's horizontal position relative to it's starting point would remain the same. Thus it would not proceed beyond the outer boundries of the table and could not be ruled a scratch. It would, as it loses energy and it's orbit decays come back to rest on the table.

This is actually a technique employed by certain unscrupulous one pocket players to escape the evil traps I have set for them. It is called <font color="blue">F</font color>oregoing a <font color="blue"> R</font color>egion <font color="blue"> O</font color>f <font color="blue"> Gravity </font color> or FROG for short.

The real question that must be addressed is what happens to the chalk when it is exposed to the vaccuum of space. There are two opposing points of view on this issue. One point is that any moisture within the chalk would immediately evaporate thus eliminating the need to bake your chalk in space. The other is that the cold would freeze it into ice crystals and lock within the chalk before it would have a chance to evaporate thus creating an even greater need to bake it.

Perhaps you can shed some light on this issue. Do you bake your chalk in space or do you just tape a couple pieces to the hull when you go for a spin? <hr /></blockquote>

"Non-intelligent people hide their stupidity behind fancy language that not many understand." - One

You don't need chalk to jump the cueball! And it jumps easier without gravity. The cueball will always end up not touching the cloth if you shoot the cueball in space, unless the cue angle is perfectly level (or you shoot very soft; because the table is heavier than the ball = gravity source). So every shot is a scratch.

Playing on a table in space would be pretty stupid, who would play the game if you get scratch every shot?
The pool table (pool cube) in space will always be 3 dimensional, like a cube or a sphere. It will have 8 holes in it instead of pockets which makes a scratch possible by flying outside of the playing area. If the cueball goes through the hole, it gets a scratch, and it drifts in space until a gravity source pulls it in, and eventually hits the gravity source (planet) because it doesn't drift in perfect circles (assuming there is only 1 gravity source). When it hits the planet it makes the cueball burn up while going through the athmosphere or it will hit the ground somewhere and break into pieces. If the cueball hits some birds to slow it down and then hits the ocean it could be OK. Is the record scratch only valid if the cueball stays intact?

If there is only 1 planet in the entire Universe, then the cueball will always return back to Earth, even if you shoot the cueball from the centre part of Earth, it will eventually slow down until it stops, and then come back again in a straight line. So this could be the same as when throwing a baseball and wind brings it back. But how about if you throw a baseball and it travels around Earth? So the record could be measured by how many times it travels around Earth. So unless you shoot the cueball perfectly straight which makes it come back to the point where it started (and the impact surface is perfectly straight which makes it bounche many times (which a pool table is not and the cueball will break into pieces anyways or go through the wood and when the cueball returns it will go through the hole again back and forth until it stops inside the hole (this is assuming the pool table is the only gravity source in the Universe) and the cueball has just traveled more than half ball width, if you would use birds in the way to stop the impact it would be interference of the record scratch and cheating, also every bounche on the cloth will make the dent in the cloth deeper)), it will always have traveled a distance that qualifies as a record.
If the cueball will start its travel from a soft surface that bends it will bounche on it everytime it returns and the surface will bend every time and lose its shape, so it will never stay exactly the same way after every impact. So the cueball will have traveled a small distance when it finally stops. But the problem also is that you need a perfectly round gravity source, which Earth is not, so the gravity is not consistent, so shooting the cueball in a straight line forwards and back is impossible, so this is the same as the inconsistent wind (unless you can control it, which makes it cheating).

So the conclusion is that it is best to measure the distance by how far the total travel is, not by the point the cueball left the table and where it landed. They should measure like this in olympics.

To avoid the balls from flying outside all the time the pool cube will have something outside that stops the balls, but it can be broken...

Spin will obviously not work, this can also be solved by special liquid that makes the cueball behave in different ways. In the pool cube there will also be wormholes.

One
04-03-2005, 11:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr>
If there is only 1 planet in the entire Universe, then the cueball will always return back to Earth, even if you shoot the cueball from the centre part of Earth, it will eventually slow down until it stops, and then come back again in a straight line.
<hr /></blockquote> This is not true if the cueball goes faster than the gravity source can pull it back. The cueball will just keep slowing down forever because there is no limit how slow the cueball can travel.

nhp
04-03-2005, 05:17 PM
You ate alot of pot brownies today, didn't you?

One
04-03-2005, 11:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> You ate alot of pot brownies today, didn't you? <hr /></blockquote>
What do you mean with this?

SpiderMan
04-04-2005, 08:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> You ate alot of pot brownies today, didn't you? <hr /></blockquote>
What do you mean with this?
<hr /></blockquote>

Hmmm .... "pot brownies". Could mean consciousness-altering foodstuffs, or perhaps a scatological reference /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
04-04-2005, 01:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> This is actually a technique employed by certain unscrupulous one pocket players to escape the evil traps I have set for them. It is called <font color="blue">F</font color>oregoing a <font color="blue"> R</font color>egion <font color="blue"> O</font color>f <font color="blue"> Gravity </font color> or FROG for short.<hr /></blockquote>

Still complaining, eh? And you thought I wouldn't see this remark, buried in an innocent-seeming thread.

SpiderMan