PDA

View Full Version : Confidence Builder - Practice w/eyes closed

BlindPlayer
03-31-2005, 01:50 PM
Anyone out there as crazy as I am? I practice an hour a week by closing my eyes. Incredible confidence builder. I use it when teaching - setting up easy shots for the student. "Now close your eyes and listen to the ball drop." Nothing boosts their spirit more. In 1995 ran 30 consequitive. I used to run 9-Ball Tournaments in So. CA and overheard debate before the start. Went over and found the topic was, "Do you focus on the object ball or the cue ball during the stroke?" My answer, "It doesn't matter". "What?!", they exclaimed. "It's whatever you're comfortable with and I'll prove it - rack the balls". I ran a rack of 15 with my eyes closed and that settled the debate.

Deeman2
03-31-2005, 02:40 PM
Nice recommendation, BlindPlayer. I have hit a few with my eyes closed doing my best Tom Cruise imitation but never thought of it for practice. I'll try it. Heck, I'll try anything once (except ladies underwear). I'm afraid I might like it. BTW, what's your high run with your eyes open?? /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Deeman

christopheradams
03-31-2005, 03:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BlindPlayer:</font><hr> Anyone out there as crazy as I am? I practice an hour a week by closing my eyes. Incredible confidence builder. I use it when teaching - setting up easy shots for the student. "Now close your eyes and listen to the ball drop." Nothing boosts their spirit more. In 1995 ran 30 consequitive. I used to run 9-Ball Tournaments in So. CA and overheard debate before the start. Went over and found the topic was, "Do you focus on the object ball or the cue ball during the stroke?" My answer, "It doesn't matter". "What?!", they exclaimed. "It's whatever you're comfortable with and I'll prove it - rack the balls". I ran a rack of 15 with my eyes closed and that settled the debate. <hr /></blockquote>

Want to try something even more difficult. Try shooting with your eyes closed without first lining up the shot.
Pretend your are really blind. I've actually tried this. You set up the balls, then close your eyes.
You feel with your hand where the cue ball is with your hand and then feel where the object ball is and try to set up and make the shot. I've only tried this a few times and can't remember making a shot doing it. I was just thinking one day, if I lost my vision would I still be able to play pool. I came to the conclussion that if I ever did lose my vision, I would still give it my best try. Couldn't live without playing the game. Love it too much.
Anyone know of any blind pool players who play and can make shots on a regular basis based on feel. It seems like it could be possible with a couch to help the person know what ball to shoot or some type of braille system on the ball to denote the number of the ball.

And yes, I'm as crazy as you. I love shooting with my eyes closed. Gives you a real feel for what you are doing with your mechanics. If your steering the cue, this can help you break that habit real quick. Also can stop you from rising on the shot since you are not in a hurry to see if you made the shot.
Also try to see if you can hear the ball fall in the pocket. Sounds of the game seem to be overlooked. I was golfing today with my wife at the driving range and everytime she hit a good shot when I had my back turned set up over my shot I could hear the sweetness of the shot on a good hit and could hear the horrible worm burners also /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

theinel
03-31-2005, 04:11 PM
Once in a while I like to put an object ball on the footspot, the cueball on the headspot, line the shot up, close my eyes, and then fire the ball in. People watching usually think I'm cheating and keeping my eyes open so I started turning my head to the side too. That makes it harder and drops my percentage quite a bit but I can still make it almost half the time.

As far as actually plaing the game with eyes closed I will have to leave that to the more adventurous. I met a blind golfer once that could actually break 120. It's amazing what the body and mind can do if you set them to something.

ChuckR
03-31-2005, 05:47 PM
I am able to line up about 9 balls across the center of the table and taking the cueball and placing it in the kitchen, shoot each object ball to a corner with my eyes closed AFTER I have lined them up. This got me thinking "how can I be missing them with my eyes open"? I must be steering the cueballby moving my cue offline, so I started looking at the cueball at impact, making sure to stroke straight thru and my percentage of balls pocketed soared. It's funny what a big difference little changes can make in this sport!! ChuckR

stickman
03-31-2005, 10:54 PM
One shot that I seem to do best with my eyes closed, is when there is a ball almost in the way. If you have to just slide past another ball to sink the shot, it seems like I'll invariably ran into the ball. If I line up the shot and close my eyes, I make the shot more often than I would with my eyes wide open. Funny how that works for me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DebraLiStarr
03-31-2005, 11:17 PM
<font color="blue"> I have enough trouble with my eyes open. </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BlindPlayer
03-31-2005, 11:20 PM
My highest run in 14.1 with my eyes wide open was 48. It's weird but when I'm tired closing my eyes helps me focus better even before the set knowing that I'm about to do something risky. But I'm confident that after I've made all strategic decisions, approach the shot and set there's no reason why I can't make it. I can visualize my speed control better for shot #29 (ha).

BlindPlayer
03-31-2005, 11:22 PM
Debra - touche'!

One
03-31-2005, 11:28 PM
Sound is important for speed control. I listen to the sound of the cueball hitting down on the table, because on every normal shot the cuestick is at a slight angle downwards (1-3 degrees).

When you shoot every shot you need to visualize both the rotation of the cueball and the sound it will make. The best is to replay the same shot over and over again to listen to the same sound. In Virtual Pool 3 you can do that with the press of a button, I have special audio gear just for this purpose to hear as neutral sound as possible. When I started focusing on sound it has improved my speed control A LOT!