PDA

View Full Version : You make the call

stickman
03-31-2005, 10:36 PM
Playing APA league 8ball, a teammate of mine was lined up to make his shot, when a player from another table bumped his stick and moved the cueball. The cueball didn't hit another ball. His opponent wanted to call a foul and take ball in hand. What is the call?

What we did was to rerack and start the game over. It seemed fair enough to me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

woody_968
03-31-2005, 11:49 PM
Well I dont know if APA addresses this, but in the BCA rule book it would be outside interferance and the balls should be restored and he would still get to shoot. If the balls could not be put back in position they should be re-racked with the original breaker breaking.

GeraldG
04-01-2005, 05:09 AM
In APA it's a foul...no matter what caused it to happen. They warn about this very thing at the beginning of every high-level tournament during the player's meeting or captain's meeting. They always say to keep everyone out of the playing area except the players to prevent this from happening...it still seems to happen at least once in every event, though.

SpiderMan
04-01-2005, 08:25 AM
I hate it when that happens. I used to play a weekend tournament at a banger's hangout in Dallas called "Hawleys", known for loud music and heavy smoke, and frequented mostly by rowdy kids. Got bumped twice in my match with the same opponent, by tournament players on the next table. Everyone in the joint seemed to think he had the whole place to himself. I haven't played there in two years.

SpiderMan

Wally_in_Cincy
04-01-2005, 08:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GeraldG:</font><hr> In APA it's a foul...no matter what caused it to happen.
<hr /></blockquote>

Surely you jest /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GeraldG:</font><hr>
...it still seems to happen at least once in every event, though. <hr /></blockquote>

I've never seen this happen. If it happened to my opponent I would not accept the foul. It seems to violate the spirit of the game.

Deeman2
04-01-2005, 08:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote GeraldG:</font><hr> In APA it's a foul...no matter what caused it to happen.
<hr /></blockquote>

Surely you jest /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
<font color="blue"> This would certainly make for an interesting senerio if a player had a friend bump his opponent during critical shots. </font color>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GeraldG:</font><hr>
...it still seems to happen at least once in every event, though. <hr /></blockquote>

I've never seen this happen. If it happened to my opponent I would not accept the foul. It seems to violate the spirit of the game. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue"> Yes, I would do the same. This seems totally wrong to have a rule such as this. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif</font color>

Deeman

GeraldG
04-01-2005, 08:39 AM
Nope..not jesting. And, yes...it does seem wrong (not unlike many things that happen in the APA). But...that's the way it is, at least around here.

MrLucky
04-01-2005, 09:30 AM
This is one of those murky APA rule decisions, it has happened in matches I have been in and we did not take a foul on it but allowed the captain of the team player that was bumped to if possible replace the ball ! IMO! a player who insisted on a foul in this instance was not playing within the level of sportsmanship that the APA is supposed to be about !

Rod
04-01-2005, 10:41 AM
It's no foul, respot the c/b. Even if balls were moved, if they could be replaced fine. If not then replay the game. If APA allowed such foul to be called, then it's time to play in another league. League is about sportmanship, not a cheap way to get BIH.

Rod

MrLucky
04-01-2005, 10:50 AM
<font color="red">Here is what the Team Manual says ... </font color>
<font color="brown">Causing even the slightest movement or altering the course of
the cue ball, even accidentally, is a foul. Even dropping the
chalk on the cue ball is a foul. It is not a foul, however, to accidentally
move any other balls (including the 8-ball) unless,
during his turn at the table, a player moves a ball and it in turn
comes in contact with the cue ball. Any balls moved accidentally
during a shot must be replaced by the opponent after the
shot is over and all balls have stopped rolling. If it occurs before
the shot, it must be replaced before the shot is taken. </font color>

<font color="red">That is the official stance but as previously stated it has happened in games with my team and we allowed the other captain to replace the ball as close to possible to an agreed upon original spot of rest! IMO as a 23 year league player the rules on sportsmanship and fair play over rule the foul situation in this case any way! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GeraldG
04-01-2005, 12:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MrLucky:</font><hr> <font color="red">Here is what the Team Manual says ... </font color>
<font color="brown">Causing even the slightest movement or altering the course of
the cue ball, even accidentally, is a foul. Even dropping the
chalk on the cue ball is a foul. It is not a foul, however, to accidentally
move any other balls (including the 8-ball) unless,
during his turn at the table, a player moves a ball and it in turn
comes in contact with the cue ball. Any balls moved accidentally
during a shot must be replaced by the opponent after the
shot is over and all balls have stopped rolling. If it occurs before
the shot, it must be replaced before the shot is taken. </font color>

<font color="red">That is the official stance but as previously stated it has happened in games with my team and we allowed the other captain to replace the ball as close to possible to an agreed upon original spot of rest! IMO as a 23 year league player the rules on sportsmanship and fair play over rule the foul situation in this case any way! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I agree. But...at the last Cities at CuesII, I saw it happen the other way...somebody bumped the player's cue and it was called a foul and the other team apparently didn't think much of fair play and sportsmanship...