PDA

View Full Version : Pool player gets Hall of Fame honor

PQQLK9
04-02-2005, 05:00 AM
Pool player gets Hall of Fame honor
April 2, 2005
By Brian Vernellis

bvernellis@gannett.com

Eddie Taylor was an excellent billiards player by the time he was 16 years old, beating men twice his age. He would become one of the best to ever play the sport within a few years.

Already a member of the Billiard Congress of America Hall of Fame, Taylor, 86, will be recognized for his induction to the One Pocket Hall of Fame at Sidepocket Billiards at 5 p.m. today.

Grady Matthews, another of the game's all-time greats, will present Taylor with his plaque and perform an exhibition at 6 p.m.

"Eddie is basically a living legend," said Brett Sempter, owner of Sidepockets. "You've heard of Minnesota Fats and all of them? Well he used to beat them."

Taylor's proficiency in the sport came from his ability as a fantastic bank player. Many consider him the best bank player who ever lived.

"He ran 37 banks at one time without missing," Sempter said. "That's unprecedented. Nobody has ever even thought about being close to that. It's phenomenal to imagine that could even happen."

Sempter said he's got commitments from Taylor's peers and fans from across the country. He expects a full house for the event.

One fan and his father are driving from Kansas to meet the living legend.

Media from Pool and Billiard magazine and other pool publications will attend as well.

"He's like what Jack Nicklaus was to golf," Sempter said. "Back in his day, he was phenomenal."
web page (http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050402/SPORTS/504020361/1001/SPORTS)

BlindPlayer
04-03-2005, 10:41 PM
I love your animation. It is noteworthy that the cue tip hits the CB center ball but the CB reacts off the OB (8-ball) as if it had draw on it (?)

Based on the distance the CB travels, which is about 6 & 3/4 inches (based on the diameter of 3 balls) and assuming moderate to medium speed the CB should come off the "tangent line" and strike the side rail. If using a light touch or slow speed the CB might be rolling forward by the time it strikes the OB in which case it would follow the 30 degree rule. And....

I'm just having fun with ya! Born in Winston-Salem, N.C. but live in Sacramento, CA now. Sure wish I could have flown out for this event today. Bummer - I just read about it. Remember to hold your mouth right when you stroke the CB.

One
04-03-2005, 11:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr>
"He ran 37 banks at one time without missing," Sempter said. "That's unprecedented. Nobody has ever even thought about being close to that. It's phenomenal to imagine that could even happen."<hr /></blockquote> With tight pockets?
It is not impossible, even if you only have 90% chance every bank it is 0.0203% to make 37 in a row, if you try it once every day it takes 4932 days (13 and half years) to make it. Nothing special with this. The banks were probably just slow rolls and the pockets were big, he didn't even try for optimal position play from each bank, which requires you to shoot harder, he just shoots soft which gives a bigger margin of making the bank.

NH_Steve
04-04-2005, 04:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> &lt;snip&gt; The banks were probably just slow rolls and the pockets were big, he didn't even try for optimal position play from each bank, which requires you to shoot harder, he just shoots soft which gives a bigger margin of making the bank.
<hr /></blockquote>Slow rolls??? Did Eddie Taylor ever slow roll a bank? Maybe, in a One Pocket game now and then, but very rarely playing Bank Pool! The 37 was done in an after hours match-up against another bank pool player playing Full Rack Bank pool -- that's racking all fifteen balls and banking -- of course calling every detail of the banks, which have to go in clean, too. I believe Eddie ran out the last 12 of one game, then the whole rack of the next game, then the first 10 the last game -- something like that. No, I didn't see it -- it occurred about 40 years ago.

If you have ever tried full rack banks, you will quickly find it's very difficult to get any run going, especially early in the rack with so many balls blocking paths.

Of course he played position too -- you simply don't get 36 more shots in a row without.

Just one of the reasons he is considered the best banker ever, and a true Hall of Fame legend.

Vagabond
04-04-2005, 05:48 AM
Howdy,
He did that wonder(12 then 15 then 10) in Ashville,NC.
vagabond

One
04-04-2005, 08:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> Howdy,
He did that wonder(12 then 15 then 10) in Ashville,NC.
vagabond <hr /></blockquote>
What was the pocket size?

Scott Lee
04-04-2005, 09:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote NH_Steve:</font><hr> If you have ever tried full rack banks, you will quickly find it's very difficult to get any run going, especially early in the rack with so many balls blocking paths.

Of course he played position too -- you simply don't get 36 more shots in a row without.

Just one of the reasons he is considered the best banker ever, and a true Hall of Fame legend. <hr /></blockquote>

Steve...You have remember; Patrick is the best player in the entire UNIVERSE, so naturally a Hall of Fame Legend like Eddie Taylor, couldn't hold a candle to his skills! LOL

Scott Lee ~ tongue seriously in cheek

One
04-04-2005, 10:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote NH_Steve:</font><hr> If you have ever tried full rack banks, you will quickly find it's very difficult to get any run going, especially early in the rack with so many balls blocking paths.

Just one of the reasons he is considered the best banker ever, and a true Hall of Fame legend. <hr /></blockquote>

Steve...You have remember; Patrick is the best player in the entire UNIVERSE, so naturally a Hall of Fame Legend like Eddie Taylor, couldn't hold a candle to his skills! LOL

Scott Lee ~ tongue seriously in cheek <hr /></blockquote>
"The best players are the ones you will never see" - One

I am not the best in the Universe or even Earth. I am only better than those who I have seen play. If there are better players than me, I'm sure they haven't shown and proven it to anyone. So I will keep believing there is someone better than me, but I don't know who. If I would prove it and win some tournaments I would just make a fool of myself. But those who are better than me must also be more intelligent, so they wouldn't laugh at me, they would just understand. But if they are more intelligent than me, they would not play a stupid game like pool, and they would also have made suicide long before they reach their highest level. If they are more intelligent than me they would not practice their stance and stroke because it is stupid. So they eventually play some Virtual Pool 3 instead, but that is stupid also so they will create their own simulator, but they will quit learning programming after 1 day like I did. So the only way to compare skill is to the potential of the other guy. Which means everyone, because everyone are the same but in different lengths of their journeys. So the conclusion is that I am as good as everyone else, because everyones potential is the same. Which means everyone is the best in the Universe, because everyone is One.

NH_Steve
04-04-2005, 10:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr>

Scott Lee ~ tongue seriously in cheek <hr /></blockquote>I liked his math, too -- 90% make on 37 banks in a row -- but without needing to play position, too /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

From that I conclude that the square root of the size of the pockets was still much greater than the sum of The One's banking knowledge /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The One --&gt; a legend in his own mind

One
04-04-2005, 10:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote NH_Steve:</font><hr>I liked his math, too -- 90% make on 37 banks in a row -- but without needing to play position, too /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif<hr /></blockquote>My percentage is higher than 90%, and I ALWAYS attempt for optimal position play 12cm distance from the next ball, I even do warp shots from the bank shot to get closer positon on the next ball, but this makes my percentage less than 50%.

Here is video to demonstrate, the position is bad but you get the idea:
ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163/bestshots/Concentrator-bank.warp.shot.(2005.04.02).avi

I also do circular draw from bank shot:
ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163/bestshots/(Replay-Fraps.online)Concentrator-Circular.draw.bank-2004.09.20.avi