PDA

View Full Version : Magician Reyes reaches semis

PQQLK9
04-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Magician Reyes reaches semis

Moch. N. Kurniawan, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

Top seed Efren Reyes of the Philippines won his quarterfinal match against Kuo Po-Cheng of Chinese Taipei in the second leg of the San Miguel Asian 9-ball Tour at the Hanggar Billiard and Recreation Center here on Saturday.

Three-time world 8-ball champion Reyes defeated Kuo 9-8 to set up a semifinal match against 16-year-old Wu Chia-Ching of Chinese Taipei, who edged out Wanshana Poomjaeng of Thailand 9-2.

Another semifinal match will feature Satoshi Kawabata of Japan against Yang Chin-Sun of Chinese Taipei.

Kawabata thrashed Toh Lian-Han of Singapore 9-8, while Yang eked out a 9-6 win over Singapore first leg winner Gandy Valle of the Philippines in earlier quarterfinal matches.

Reyes and Kuo brought their game to the limit to tie the score at 8-8.

Kuo could have sealed the game in his favor. He missed a shot at the ninth ball in frame 17, allowing Reyes to pull off the final winning strikes for a 9-8 victory.

As Kuo rued the missed chance, Reyes, nicknamed The Magician, broke in relief after he had looked to be struggling earlier.

"I played badly in the beginning but I got better later on," Reyes said after the match.

"I was also lucky as he missed the ninth ball in the last rack."

Looking ahead for his semifinal match, Reyes said Wu was a young talented player who had been improving a lot recently.

The two players met three times last year, all finishing in Reyes' victories.

Wu savored his quarterfinal win over Poomjaeng in the match which lasted for 50 minutes.

"I played very well, while my opponent couldn't use his opportunities when he made his shots," Wu said.

Despite a poor record against Reyes, Wu was relishing the challenge this time around, being spurred by his surprise win over 1993 world 9-ball champion Chao Fong Pang in the second round.

"I already defeated Chao, and I will defeat Reyes," the first-leg finalist said.

Meanwhile, Valle, who won the first leg of the Asian Tour by beating Wu 11-9, conceded his out-of-sort performance in the quarterfinals.

"I just played badly," he said shortly after the match.

On Sunday, the semifinals of the second leg of the San Miguel Asian 9-ball Tour will start at 9:30 a.m., followed by the final.

web page (http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailnational.asp?fileid=20050403.K02&irec=5)

recoveryjones
04-02-2005, 08:45 PM
Thanks for posting this stuff Nick, much appreciated. RJ