PDA

View Full Version : Alex Pagulayan Pool Movie?

recoveryjones
04-03-2005, 10:50 AM
I see that they are going to do a pool movie about Danny Basevich which will net him a million big ones.I say good for pool and good for Danny.He's a very charasmatic player and I'm sure he has some great road stories.I wish his movie every success.

http://azbilliards.com/2000storyb.cfm?storynum=2608

Having said that, I think an opportunity to do a movie about Alex Pagulayan's rise to World Champion has been (so far ) missed. Much like Danny,Alex is also very charasmatic and his story is a good one.

-skipped out of school to play pool in the Phillipines
-moved to canada
-his father ran a pool hall
-Paul Thornley took him under his wings and trained him
-While in Canada also spent some time with former world snooker champion Cliff Thorburn
- hit the road with his best friend Corey Deule (many great road stories)
-suffered through agonizing second place finishes at the US Open and 2003 World Pool Championships
-makes a bad mistake,parties gets drunk the night before his 2003 WPC showdown with Hohmann
-Bets $10,000 large(at 14-1 odds) on himself with the bookies in Taipai and adds the winnings from that to his $75,000 first place finish.
-Was down 4-10 at 2004 WPC and showed the Heart of a Lion in coming back
-Became champion of the world

There's much,much more and I think if a talented script writer sat down with Alex that he could make a great movie out of the life of Alex Pagulayan. Young kid from the Phillipines (skips school) and goes on to be world champ.It could also be a movie about determination and never giving up despite finishing second twice and suffering bitter defeats to become Champion of the world.

I think the Basevich movie will be a good one and the road stories will be especialy good. I also think,however, it will be missing the icing on the top of the cake which is the title of "Champion of the World". JMO, RJ

Cueless Joey
04-03-2005, 11:52 AM
MaDonalds should sponsor Danny's movie. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
San Miguel beer would sponsor Alex's movie for sure. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Sadly, St Louis Louie Roberts' life is the kind of life Hollywood would probably make a bio-pic flick of.
At least on HBO.