PDA

View Full Version : attendance to see a Professional Match

ceebee
04-03-2005, 01:33 PM
Would you pay a fee ($25 ???) to attend a staged match between two top professional players at your pool hall? The concessions will also be higher during the evening of the match.

Let's say the Pros will be there from 6 P.M. to Midnite. From 6 to 7 is autograph & merchandise sales time. From 7 to 9 are pool games with customers. From 9 to 12 or ??? is the match game.

Would you pay $5.00 to play a game of 8-Ball with a top professional that is appearing at your Pool Hall.

Would you purchase a shirt, pool accessory, book or a video?

Would you pay for an personal autograph on an object (shirt, case or cue???)

Would you like to see a staged match in your Pool Room twice a month or more.

The pros would be flown in, provided overnite accomodations & a $300-$500 fee for playing in the match. (the size of the pool room might govern that). The wager would be between the two players and/or their stake horses. Side bets from the audience would be allowed too.

Anybody like this format?

Popcorn
04-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Been there done that, I lost $3000. over two nights and spared no expence to make it a go. Newspaper, radio and even had a spot on local news, didn't draw flies. I had Danny Diliberto play Steve Cook Straight pool, 9-ball and one pocket plus trick shots and a question and answer clinic. It was real, I paid them expenses and the winner got $1500 and the losser $750. Good money back then. I even had a professional ref in a tux I paid $200 a night he also did announcing and basicly ran the show.. I planed on doing it every other month. I already had Boston Shorty lined up to play Rempy for the next match. Needless to say I cancelled it real quick.

ceebee
04-03-2005, 03:01 PM
Popcorn, my idea might not work, just as you say. Thanks for the warning. I was thinking in terms of 100 Professionals touring the USA every week playing match games 2,3,4 times a month (maybe more). The Pros make some money. The Room Owner should make some money off the door, higher concessions & merchandise sales at the performance.

I am always trying to do something for the game, hopefully something will work someday.

I really did not intend to pay the winner or loser anything but a performance fee. The door should cover that & more.

The players make their money by winning money from the loser, side bets with the audience, playing pool with the audience, merchandise sales & selling their autograph.

It would certainly liven up the Pool Rooms & it would be fun too. Maybe I'm all wet... Back to the Drawing Board

Bob_Jewett
04-03-2005, 05:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> Would you pay a fee ($25 ???)... Anybody like this format? <hr /></blockquote>

I think many spectators would balk at $25, depending on the player. Not many have enough name recognition these days.

Several years ago, the APA arranged for players like Earl Strickland to give exhibitions at member rooms. I think they charged the room some but not the whole cost. It helps if several exhibitions are scheduled on the same trip to keep travel costs down.

Do you have seating available? Most pool rooms are pitiful for this.

Two years or so ago, Bucktooth Cook gave and exhibition and got a reported 350 attendees at $25 ($30 at the door) each. I calculate that as about $10,000. But 'Tooth has something of a local reputation.

As for the side betting, I suspect that is illegal in your jurisdiction. It sure would be in Nevada.

jjinfla
04-03-2005, 05:42 PM
You might be a bit low on your appearance fee. Pelinga gets around $1,000 for a two hour show and Massey charges around $2,000 plus expenses, lodging, etc. Dr. Cue gets about the same.

A local bar/pool room had Pelinga here and got 50 people to attend at $5 each. I was surprised that many attended. Dr Cue came out to a local Pool room twice so far through the APA and even though it was free there were not all that many people watching. And he puts on one hell of a show. Non stop for 4 or 5 hours.

The problem with watching a couple pros playing each other is why pay to see it when you can go to a tournament and watch a bunch of pros play for free.

But you will never know unless you try it.

Jake

SplinterHands
04-04-2005, 07:09 AM
Not enough people care about pool to be successful. Maybe you could try it in Europe or Japan.

catscradle
04-04-2005, 07:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> Would you pay a fee ($25 ???) to attend a staged match between two top professional players at your pool hall? The concessions will also be higher during the evening of the match.
<hr /></blockquote>

Depends on the pros playing, some I don't consider "entertaining" no matter how good they are. i.e. Ralf Souquet.
[ QUOTE ]

Let's say the Pros will be there from 6 P.M. to Midnite. From 6 to 7 is autograph &amp; merchandise sales time. From 7 to 9 are pool games with customers. From 9 to 12 or ??? is the match game.
<hr /></blockquote>
I'd me more interested if they just played matches the whole time.

[ QUOTE ]

Would you pay $5.00 to play a game of 8-Ball with a top professional that is appearing at your Pool Hall.
<hr /></blockquote>
No, except maybe for charity, not for my own personal satisfaction.
[ QUOTE ]

Would you purchase a shirt, pool accessory, book or a video?
<hr /></blockquote>
Only if it were an item I was planning to buy anyway.
[ QUOTE ]

Would you pay for an personal autograph on an object (shirt, case or cue???)
<hr /></blockquote>
No!
[ QUOTE ]

Would you like to see a staged match in your Pool Room twice a month or more.
<hr /></blockquote>
Sure, but I wouldn't make it to every one.
[ QUOTE ]

The pros would be flown in, provided overnite accomodations &amp; a $300-$500 fee for playing in the match. (the size of the pool room might govern that). The wager would be between the two players and/or their stake horses. Side bets from the audience would be allowed too.

Anybody like this format? <hr /></blockquote>

It seems like a reasonable format to me. I don't gamble, except a little friendly Friday night poker, so that part doesn't interest me, only seeing the play.

Popcorn
04-04-2005, 12:24 PM
What you are thinking about has been done successfully in the past. Ray Martin and Rempy did something like it several times, in a dinner theater if I remember right. You got dinner as well as the exhibition for like $35. or $50.00 and they would sell out. I believe it was self promoted by themselves and they paid expenses and cut up what was left. I remember mentally doing the math and thing they were making a pretty good score for a nights work. Of course the planing is also involved. I think the biggest problem with what you want to do is the pool room setting. Pool room tournaments are notorious for being hard to see and uncomfortable. I the case I mentioned that I did. I had moved back tables and created an arena with comfortable tiered seating for more then a 100 people. I was not looking to make any money, just somewhere around break even and maybe sell a little extra beer those nights plus put on a nice show.

I will tell you something funny, I did the same type of thing another time with no expense or planing at all and it was a huge success. Danny D. owed me a little money and to call it even I decided to have him do an exhibition. He was going to play a kid that worked for me named Buzzy that was a local legend. He had beaten Wade Crane when he came through and even busted a young Earl Strickland when he come through on the road, Buzzy could play. To make a long story short this thing took on a life of it's own. It became the champion against the local legend and people began betting on this thing. The night they played you could not get near the place it was standing room only. Every bar player and patrons who were fans of Buzzy and there were hundreds, showed up. Honestly, I don't remember who won but I made a fortune. I gave Danny and Buzzy money though, It would have been ridiculous not to we made so much. I just found it funny that this unplanned off the cuff event was such a success.

I want to add as a little tribute to Buzzy who is dead now, the juggling you see Tommy Kennedy doing was taught to him by Buzzy. Buzzy was better at it then Tommy is now. He juggled the balls on and off the table. Buzzy taught Tommy a lot about pool as well and although I would like to think it was me, Buzzy probably had more to do with creating the basis for him becoming the player he is today. If you ever run into Tommy ask him about Buzzy.