PDA

View Full Version : I wish they would do this in my State.

SnakebyteXX
04-04-2005, 06:56 AM
Colo. cracks down on left-lane dawdling

April 4, 2005

DENVER -- Colorado is serious about its no-dawdling law in left lanes. Drivers who insist on staying in the passing lane are risking tickets as the State Patrol has begun enforcing a law requiring motorists to use the left lane for passing only.

Since the patrol started enforcing the "Left Lane Law" three months ago, troopers have written about 460 tickets or about an average of five a day to drivers who dawdle in the left lane.

The law applies in zones with speed limits of 65 mph or higher. It took effect July 1, but troopers gave drivers until January to get used to the new law; warnings were issued instead of tickets.

Master Trooper Ron Watkins said that since the ticketing campaign began three months ago about 90 percent of the drivers he has pulled over for dawdling or cruising in the left lane said they didn't know that it was illegal to do so.

Violators of the left lane rule may be fined up to $41 and have three points tacked onto their driver's licenses. The law is not enforced when the highway is too congested to allow drivers to pass.
Link (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2005/04/04/colo_cracks_down_on_left_lane_dawdling/)

Wally_in_Cincy
04-04-2005, 07:14 AM
Bravo.

I have a friend about my age. We went to a car race one day. He drove from west St. Louis to Illinois (about 40 miles) in the left lane at 55 mph. I thought somebody was going to shoot us. I tried to tell him. He said "I'm doing the speed limit"

Barbara
04-04-2005, 08:03 AM
What I also see happening is the middle lane (on a 3-lane wide road) is now becoming the slow lane because of the "I don't want to drive in the right lane and have to deal with the cars merging ontoth e highway" mentality. Seriously, I've clocked the middle lane doing 50 in a 65 mph limit.

Barbara

BlindPlayer
04-04-2005, 10:57 AM
What's worse then dawdling in the fast lane is dawdling while doodling.

Some of these driver's play cop. By that I mean, they have issues with those that go even a few miles over the speed limit...so....there're gonna stay in the fast lane, play cop and block the flow.

Cueless Joey
04-04-2005, 11:35 AM
I guess most people don't know that the left lane is a "passing" lane.
It's not the "fast" lane or just another lane.
If someone is behind you, even if you're going a 100 MPH and he/she wants to pass you, you need to get yo jazz to the right.

SnakebyteXX
04-04-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Some of these driver's play cop. By that I mean, they have issues with those that go even a few miles over the speed limit...so....there're gonna stay in the fast lane, play cop and block the flow. <hr /></blockquote>

I think you're right on the money about a certain percentage of people who clog up the fast lane. In fact quite a few of them are going the speed limit and consider the drivers speeding up behind them to be lawbreakers who don't deserve any consideration. In a sense they are quite right but on another level altogether they are contributing to a level of frustration on the part of the stymied drivers that can sometimes lead those people to do stupid and dangerous things just to get around the road hog.

Then there are those who never learned to use their rear-view mirrors for anything other than applying make-up or backing up the car. They drive along oblivious to the traffic behind them because they just don't see them (or bother to look).

Then there are a few timid types who consider making a lane change at any speed (much less 55 -65mph) to be a dangerous maneuver and something to be avoided at all costs. Once they plant themselves in a lane - they stick like glue.

Short of equipping all our cars with bullhorns or death rays (I'm buying one of these as soon as Walmart has them in stock) there's not much we faster drivers can do to get the slower drivers to move over.

Having a bunch of them ticketed by the cops for impeding traffic would be a great start. I'd love to see it happen.

Snake

Wally_in_Cincy
04-05-2005, 06:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr> ...Short of equipping all our cars with bullhorns or death rays (I'm buying one of these as soon as Walmart has them in stock) there's not much we faster drivers can do to get the slower drivers to move over. ...
<hr /></blockquote>

A guy on the radio this morning said he comes up behind them, flashes his lights and flips open his wallet like he's showing a badge and he claims they move over real quick. I guess that's legal.

JPB
04-06-2005, 11:34 AM
I really don't believe in the death penalty, but morons blocking the left lane make me reconsider my views. Good for colorado.