PDA

View Full Version : Watching the Pros helped me

jjinfla
06-04-2002, 02:14 PM
After watching Mika break on Saturday I have spent the last two days trying to immitate it. And it has helped me tremendously. The break was the worst part of my game and now I feel very comfortable with it. And all it took was him telling me "it is speed" that generates the power. My practice was so good today that it scared me,I actually broke and run a few racks. And came close a few more times. I usually don't do that in a month. I understand that Mika uses a Capone Custom Cue. Any idea what they sell for? Jake~~~only plays great when alone in the pool room, otherwise doomed to mediocrity.

06-04-2002, 03:19 PM
If I'm not mistaken, most Capone cues are in the $800-$2000 price range. I think there's a Capone rep who posts - he/she can correct me if I'm wrong.

06-04-2002, 03:28 PM
Whats the difference between different cues? its all the same, exept for deflection so just buy either a predator or a very cheap one.
The only difference with expensive cues is how they look and they also sound more expensive.

Jay M
06-04-2002, 03:54 PM
I'll choose to differ with that statement Malcolm. There are a million and one different variables between makes of cue and even cues made by the same manufacturer. Here're a few examples:

Deflection (you mentioned this)
Minimum Weight
Balance Point
Shaft Taper
Ferrule Length
Joint Type (wood to wood, steel, etc)
Wood Grain (take a look at the shaft of a cuetec sometime and then look at another production shaft like a Meucci or McDermott)

That's just a few examples, there are a lot more I could give.

Jay M

06-04-2002, 04:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Jay M:</font><hr> I'll choose to differ with that statement Malcolm. There are a million and one different variables between makes of cue and even cues made by the same manufacturer. Here're a few examples:

Deflection (you mentioned this)
Minimum Weight
Balance Point
Shaft Taper
Ferrule Length
Joint Type (wood to wood, steel, etc)
Wood Grain (take a look at the shaft of a cuetec sometime and then look at another production shaft like a Meucci or McDermott)

That's just a few examples, there are a lot more I could give.

Jay M <hr></blockquote>

The real important things of the cue are deflection, spin and weight and maybe balance point.
Predator should have the best in all this, so why buy a more expensive one?
Ive played with 50dollar cues that have less deflection then a 2000dollar cue i have played with.

So what im saying is you can have same deflection, spin, weight and balance on a cheap cue so why buy an expensive one?

Tom_In_Cincy
06-04-2002, 04:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>so why buy an expensive one?<hr></blockquote>

Malcolm,
You asked the question above, and I was wondering, exactly what $50 cue (make and model please) had less deflection? compared to a $300 Preadator? (a more expensive cue) or were you just speaking in general terms? like an $500 Joss or Schön? Just curious.

Personnally I like the expensive cues because they just really look good, playability is more in the user than the cue anyway.. right?

06-04-2002, 04:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>
Malcolm,
You asked the question above, and I was wondering, exactly what $50 cue (make and model please) had less deflection? compared to a $300 Preadator? (a more expensive cue) or were you just speaking in general terms? like an $500 Joss or Schön? Just curious.

Personnally I like the expensive cues because they just really look good, playability is more in the user than the cue anyway.. right?
<hr></blockquote>

Well for the cue performance i meant that generaly there is no difference between a cheap cue and an expensive cue.
And no, i didnt say less deflection then a predator, i meant less deflection then the 2000$ cue i played with.
I even found a cue in the bar that played better then my previous 400dollar cue.
Its deflection wasnt much different from the predator.
So if you chose your cue based on performance, either buy a predator or a cheap cue with the least deflection you can find ( since the more expensive ones arent any different )
I bought the predator bk break cue to play with
I dont realy care about any details on the cue ( the sound anoys me tough, always sounds like its broken, but it doesnt influence its play ... )
And what more do you want from a butt then an unilock joint? :-)

06-04-2002, 04:52 PM
About the sound: the predator bk sounds like its a plastic cue.
I think this is because of the ferrule?

Scott Lee
06-04-2002, 06:10 PM
Tom...I have been guilty of this myself, but I am trying to change. The title of this thread is about watching the pros and how it helped Jake's break. There have been 6 posts under that thread (four by our resident expert, Malcolm), and NONE have anything to do with the topic. This was discussed in an earlier thread.

Scott

Barbara
06-04-2002, 10:44 PM
Jim,

Being a Tour Coordinator means staying until the end of the tournies all the time now. So you get to watch the best players battling it out. Since Karen Corr and Julie Kelly have settled in our regional area, I saw them a lot. Now Kim Shaw likes to come out to our events, too. What I've noticed is that by "osmosis", I've copied some parts of their snooker style in that I line myself up to my shot and have a sort-of pre-shot routine to addressing the table and going down into my stance. I never consciously changed this in my pre-shot routine. It just sort-of happenend.

Last year when I went to RandyG's Pool School in CT, Randy did mention, when assessing my video, that I line up straight and come right down into my shot. I saw it, too. Now, I see myself trying to approach the table in a manner much like Kim Shaw does. She lines up, then steps into her shot with her left foot first, goes down to set on the table and this is where I have to do my own thing from her on out.

Okay, maybe this "osmosis" thing is what's killing my game right now. I'm not that great in explaining how I do things, especially to myself!! But I do recall Fran mentioning that she was going to take the week (or two) off from giving lessons before an event she would play in because she felt she picked up the bad habits of her students that she was trying to correct in the first place and that it was killing her at the tournaments.

But watching great players does influence you in many, many ways...

Barbara~~~a Chris Cass fan and Fred A's, too!! Okay, Spiderman was pretty cool there. Could get a height lesson on how he addresses the bar box...

p.s. not mentioning the women yet... already knows Carol's game (ouch to me!) SPetty - I need the 6 and out...

Wally_in_Cincy
06-05-2002, 06:29 AM
Quote: jjinfla: I understand that Mika uses a Capone Custom Cue. Any idea what they sell for?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.caponecues.com>www.caponecues.com</a>

http://www.caponecues.com/cues.html

If I only had $1425 I'd buy #5

5. Birdseye maple forearm with four ebony points with light green/white/light blue/black veneers. Single ivory diamond in each point. Butt sleeve of ebony with 4 small ivory diamonds and 4 large ivory diamonds. Ivory joint and silver stitch rings throurhout. Black with white irish linen.

19.1 oz. $1,425 THIS CUE HAS BEEN SOLD

Vicki
06-05-2002, 10:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: jjinfla:</font><hr> I understand that Mika uses a Capone Custom Cue. Any idea what they sell for? Jake <hr></blockquote>

Hi Jake,

To see some samples check some of the dealers web sites...

www.classiccues.com (http://www.classiccues.com)

www.billiardwarehouse.com (http://www.billiardwarehouse.com)

http://www.ilovecues.com/cue-makers/mikecapone/m-1/mike-capone.html (Japanese site - see prices in YEN :-))

http://www.tp-cc.com/capoon.htm (also Japanese)

sometimes there are Capone Cues on Ebay too

Vicki

jjinfla
06-05-2002, 12:25 PM
Wally, That sure is a nice one but it looks like it and all the others have been sold. And he only makes 100 to 120 a year. Looks like everyone wants to play like Mika. And the price isn't bad. Jake~~~beginning to think it is about time to upgrade from McDermott and that ill fitting 314.

jjinfla
06-05-2002, 12:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Malcolm:</font><hr> Whats the difference between different cues? its all the same, exept for deflection so just buy either a predator or a very cheap one.
The only difference with expensive cues is how they look and they also sound more expensive. <hr></blockquote>

Well Malcolm, A Caddy DeVille sure rides nice but you really can't carry a lot of cargo in it while a Chevy Venture can carry a lot of cargo but it is not all that comfortable of a ride. So I bought one of each. And the main reason people buy nice cues is because they can. Jake~~~wondering if this is the Malcolm who played in Tony Rome with Frank Sinatra.

Tom_In_Cincy
06-05-2002, 06:53 PM
Malcolm,
You have really peaked my curiosity. How do you measure deflection differences between the cheap cue and the$2000 cue that you played with?

I really want to know. Please share your technique.

Tom_In_Cincy
06-05-2002, 07:44 PM
Lost my way... the woods are full of thorns.

Got stuck,

Now I have found my way again,

Thanks Scott.

cheesemouse
06-05-2002, 09:21 PM
Barbra,
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>What I've noticed is that by "osmosis", I've copied some parts of their snooker style in that I line myself up to my shot and have a sort-of pre-shot routine to addressing the table and going down onto my stance. I never conscioussly changed this in my pre-shot routine, It just sort-of happened.<hr></blockquote>
When Allison Fisher first came on the scene and was shown on TV I thought 'good lord, look at that pause at the back of her stroke and how square she stands at address, there's no way' but then, of course, the results tell the tale, don't they? Fortunately and sometimes not so fortunately I have a Brunswick within spitting distance and can experiment at will. Not being the most disciplined natured person in the township it was agonizing to pause at the rear of my American made freewheeling power stroke but I persisted and after many fits and starts of reverting back after the prerequisite two beers because of nerves in tournament play it slowly became a part of my game. Now I can finally thank the British for the Stamp Act. I wish I could say the same for when I tried to use Allen Hopkins freak-of-nature short back stroke. I defy any human being to incorporate that in to their game~~~I excluded Patrick. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif because his special and only has to look at pictures.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Okay, maybe this "osmosis" thing is what's killing my game right now<hr></blockquote>

Osmosis is less painfull than conscious effort, you don't have yourself getting in the way. Years ago in Oregon Keith MeCreedy was hanging out in the Salem/Portand area and I played and watched him play for many many hours, by osmosis, I developed some serious problems not just stroke related but that's another story. LOL LOL~~~~~~~ /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

06-06-2002, 06:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Malcolm,
You have really peaked my curiosity. How do you measure deflection differences between the cheap cue and the$2000 cue that you played with?

I really want to know. Please share your technique.
<hr></blockquote>

You can even see it if you just play hard shots with both cues.
Swerve doesnt have much influence so you can see a bigger difference.
But if you want to be sure you can play with the whole cue in the table ( within the rails ) so you can keep it perfectly level to not have any swerve.
Its best you do this on a snooker table since on a pool table you dont have much distance left to see the difference.
Do you know the deflection is the same at all speeds?
When i read about it on pool sites it always says there is more deflection on high speeds...

06-06-2002, 12:38 PM
Wearing a $4.99 dollar shoes maybe as comfortable as a
$250.00 Feragamo shoes but won't give you a classy profile.
Efren Reyes came into this country with a $10.00 Home Depot
special one piece cue and still beat the best carrying around thousand dollars named brand cues.Does anybody knows
what kind of cue he's playing nowadays?. BTW he still has
that $10.00 cue stored for posterity.The moral lesson in
this is....it's the user,not the cue!..LOL.