PDA

View Full Version : Eating before Tournament

BlindPlayer
04-04-2005, 12:05 PM
Here's a different thread....I've always had the practice of eating a high protein meal before a tournament because it helps with mental focus. I try to eat no sooner than 1 1/2 hours before and action begins - not the time I'm supposed to be there.

I eat peanuts during the tournament in moderation for more protein.

On the lighter side of laughter - M$M peanuts are my favorite (1) peanuts for mental focus (2) chocolate to calm the nerves and (3) sugar coating for a little rush!

I don't eat to soon before because when digestion begins it takes energy away from the brain. I don't know the technical aspects, we all just know it's true.

Any thoughts on this? Renditions? More info?

Billy_Bob
04-04-2005, 12:27 PM
I've finally got this down. Eating a large meal during a tournament puts me to sleep - not good.

This gets tricky with 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM all day tournaments.

What I did at the last one was eat one small donut at a time slowly throughout the morning. Then a small hamburger for lunch. Then snack on a few more donuts after that. ie. frequently eat small amounts of food, not any one big meal.

Then later in the evening when I was about to drop from playing all day, I took an "herbal energy pill" and that perked me up a little. The difference between being sleepy and awake, but not wired like cola or coffee would do.

SpiderMan
04-04-2005, 01:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BlindPlayer:</font><hr> Here's a different thread....I've always had the practice of eating a high protein meal before a tournament because it helps with mental focus. I try to eat no sooner than 1 1/2 hours before and action begins - not the time I'm supposed to be there.

I eat peanuts during the tournament in moderation for more protein.

On the lighter side of laughter - M$M peanuts are my favorite (1) peanuts for mental focus (2) chocolate to calm the nerves and (3) sugar coating for a little rush!

I don't eat to soon before because when digestion begins it takes energy away from the brain. I don't know the technical aspects, we all just know it's true.

Any thoughts on this? Renditions? More info? <hr /></blockquote>

I find it very helpful to regulate my feeding times during tournaments. (Please no comments, Deeman, you've never seen me in serious competition. PettyPoint is as much about eating and socializing as sinking balls!) Nor do the little weekly tournaments get special dietary consideration - as Poolturtle noted, I hold the cue in one hand and a slice of pizza in the other /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But for serious competition, neither full nor hungry works well. I try to eat a moderate meal about an hour before the start of a long tourney. I also keep snacks such as bananas and raisins on hand for between matches. If I have to take a second meal during the day, I make it light and drink water on the side.

It also seems to help if I moderate my caffeine intake during a long day of play. Normally I live with an ice cold coke in my hand, but during serious competition I regulate myself to one every two hours or so. Other than that, I drink water.

<font color="red">Here's a great non-food tip that always works for me: Take a spare pair of shoes and socks. Toward the end of the day, when you're starting to feel tired, change them. There's something about clean dry socks and different shoes that makes it seem like morning again. Perhaps it has something to do with different shoes providing a change in pressure points on the feet and soles. Try it, you'll be surprised.</font color>

SpiderMan

BlindPlayer
04-04-2005, 03:39 PM
Hey Spider Man...your thots on bringing a fresh pair of shoes is right on! It's amazing how well it works and revives.

SplinterHands
04-04-2005, 05:14 PM
I just had 5 bud lights and half a pizza. On my way to an 8-ball tournament and I plan on busting everbody. I'll keep you posted. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thepoolnerd
04-04-2005, 08:52 PM
After taking a look at several world class pool players, I wonder if I shouldn't scrap my otherwise healthy diet and throw about a dozen white castles in my blender, smother them with vegetable oil from the Mickey d's deep fryer and top it off with a nice garnish of oreo crumbs. Diet won't help much in my opinion. I know of players that could eat a wheel of brie and run racks like there's no tomorrow.

SplinterHands
04-04-2005, 09:18 PM
Diet, Smiet! I just won the tournament bellied-up on pizza and half tanked. Missed two balls the whole tournament. One was an off-the-rail shot and the other was intentional. Just like the Poolnerd says, Saturated Fats can run racks with his eyes closed while downing a stick of butter. As long as your not starving, you can play good pool. Toss the peanuts and grab a Big Mac.

SUPERSTAR
04-04-2005, 11:25 PM
I tend to find that if i eat a high protein meal, that i get hungry way to fast.
If i eat a hi carb meal, i go right into a food coma.
It usually ends up that if i have a decent sized meal that is balanced, that i can go for much longer without feeling tired or hungry.

I usually eat about 3 - 4 hours before match time.

Of course, if it's a weekend event or all day sunday event, i toss that formula out the window.

In those situations, i usually have a box of power bars in the car or similar product to nibble on throughout the day so i don't run out of gas.

SUPERSTAR

Deeman2
04-05-2005, 08:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>

I find it very helpful to regulate my feeding times during tournaments. (Please no comments, Deeman, you've never seen me in serious competition. PettyPoint is as much about eating and socializing as sinking balls!) <font color="blue"> Would I say anything? Besides, you are right about PettyPoint and how could a guy who presses the scales at 275 talk about someone else's eating habits????? </font color> Nor do the little weekly tournaments get special dietary consideration - as Poolturtle noted, I hold the cue in one hand and a slice of pizza in the other /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But for serious competition, neither full nor hungry works well. I try to eat a moderate meal about an hour before the start of a long tourney. I also keep snacks such as bananas and raisins on hand for between matches. If I have to take a second meal during the day, I make it light and drink water on the side. <font color="blue"> Mostly the same take from me. I don't eat large when playing and tend more to fast than to overeat. I do drink tons of water and change shies and shirts often (makes me feel fresher). </font color>

It also seems to help if I moderate my caffeine intake during a long day of play. Normally I live with an ice cold coke in my hand, but during serious competition I regulate myself to one every two hours or so. Other than that, I drink water.

<font color="red">Here's a great non-food tip that always works for me: Take a spare pair of shoes and socks. Toward the end of the day, when you're starting to feel tired, change them. There's something about clean dry socks and different shoes that makes it seem like morning again. Perhaps it has something to do with different shoes providing a change in pressure points on the feet and soles. Try it, you'll be surprised.</font color> <font color="blue">Anything like this that changes that tired to the bone feeling after several races in a row is good. At large tournaments, I'll even shower between matches when I have the time. A catnap can also help if you don't sleep right up to match time.

Deeman</font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

cuechick
04-06-2005, 08:38 AM
I am all about laying off the processed carbs durring tournaments, I like to have soem beef jerky on hand if I get hungry. I am hypoglycemic so I have to be careful...I also like these very hardcore vegan bars called Låra Bars...they are for people who eat a "RAW" diet..nothing is processed, they are made with lots of nuts and dried fruit. To know what falls under "processed" a good rule of thumb is no "White" foods, no sugar, white flour or rice...
Works for me.

ceebee
04-06-2005, 11:46 AM
I too suffer from hypo-glycemia &amp; maintaining my internal balance at a long tournament is a concern. If my blood sugar starts falling &amp; I can't get to some good food, I'm done.

Besides getting the shakes, I just know my eyesight is affected.

I play at a Pool Hall where good food is NOT served, so I guess I'm going to start planning ahead... I'll try some of them nutrient bars

One other note - There is a product called SPARK (you put it in water &amp; shake it up), which is distributed by Advocare... that works well too. I believe your focus is enhanced drinking that product.