PDA

View Full Version : Checking my Orientation

BlindPlayer
04-04-2005, 05:54 PM
I have yet another weird habit. Before I shoot, I close my right eye and using my left eye look down and check the orientation of my nose to the cue (I can't get low enough to put my chin on the cue).

When I see the "left" side of my left nostril is lined up with the right side of the cue stick - I'm lined up.

Anyone else out there check orientation for sighting this or another way (other than the chin technique).

It's also helpful, before a tourney, to line up 7' straight in shots to make sure stance, sighting is correct.

BlindPlayer
04-04-2005, 06:02 PM
Addendum....I forgot to mention that I'm right handed - left eye dominant.

For you beginners out there don't adopt "my" orientation method. Yours will be unique because sometimes one eye is only slightly more dominant than the other...or the extreme...one eye may be radically more dominant than the other.

Once your stance is correct try the aforementioned 7' straight in shots. Remember to stand back, line up the CB with the OB then walk straight towards the table laying your cue stick down first "then" stand in relation to the cue.

When you are hitting the object ball straight down the center of the pocket then check your orientation and memorize it for future use.

Eric.
04-05-2005, 09:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BlindPlayer:</font><hr> I have yet another weird habit. Before I shoot, I close my right eye and using my left eye look down and check the orientation of my nose to the cue (I can't get low enough to put my chin on the cue).

When I see the "left" side of my left nostril is lined up with the right side of the cue stick - I'm lined up.

Anyone else out there check orientation for sighting this or another way (other than the chin technique).

It's also helpful, before a tourney, to line up 7' straight in shots to make sure stance, sighting is correct.

Blind Player - ran 30 with eyes closed in 1995. Do 2 hour demos at parties but not one trick shot.
<hr /></blockquote>

I think everybody has or should have some kind of alignment check. How else can you build consistancy into your game if you're setting up different each time?

Eric &gt;ran into wall with eyes closed in 1995

Wally_in_Cincy
04-05-2005, 10:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> Eric &gt;ran into wall with eyes closed in 1995 <hr /></blockquote>

Wally &lt;~~ ran into door in 1985 due to 714

Barbara
04-05-2005, 10:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> Eric &gt;ran into wall with eyes closed in 1995 <hr /></blockquote>

Wally &lt;~~ ran into door in 1985 due to 714 <hr /></blockquote>

Barbara&lt;~~~ran into the same reply 3 times to a 2 1/2 year thread by the same poster over on the NPR side... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
04-05-2005, 10:14 AM
Be nice, after all we all have our Achilles' Heel. Our job as Christians is to grow in maturity and be conformed to the image of Christ. Regardless of our weakness we are all in the same boat with the Apostles.

Barbara
04-05-2005, 10:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Be nice, after all we all have our Achilles' Heel. Our job as Christians is to grow in maturity and be conformed to the image of Christ. Regardless of our weakness we are all in the same boat with the Apostles.
<hr /></blockquote>

Sorry... I'll go get an oar and smack my Achilles' Heel with it.

BlindPlayer
04-05-2005, 10:39 AM
You guys are too funny. I love the sense of humor on this forum. Honestly.

Eric.
04-05-2005, 11:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Wally &lt;~~ ran into door in 1985 due to 714 <hr /></blockquote>

OK, the only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask; what's a 714?

Is it anything like a "710 cap"? I was in an auto parts store getting something for my bike. When I was at the counter, I overheard a woman ask the guy for a "710 cap" for her engine. The parts guy couldn't figure it out for the life of him. Finally, the woman angrily takes the guy to one of the aisles and says "I need one of THESE for my car". She was pointing at an O I L filler cap. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Eric

Wally_in_Cincy
04-05-2005, 12:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> . She was pointing at an O I L filler cap.
<hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

a 714 was a pill that was very popular in the latter stages of the disco era. Also known as a Quaalude or a sopor. They made you stupid. They are not made anymore.

Eric.
04-05-2005, 12:24 PM
Thanks, Wal. We used to call them 'ludes.

Eric &gt;didn't inhale either

Wally_in_Cincy
04-05-2005, 12:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Lynyrd Skynyrd 1977:</font><hr>can't speak a word when you're full o' 'ludes <hr /></blockquote>

forgot about that one

PQQLK9
04-05-2005, 05:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> Eric &gt;ran into wall with eyes closed in 1995 <hr /></blockquote>

Seriously I thought you were rushing in to watch Dragnet reruns. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
http://www.nic-inc.com/pics/badges/m140.jpg

GreenLion
04-05-2005, 05:46 PM
BlindPlayer try a much wider stance and see if that gets ya down over your stick more like aiming a rifle.

Eric.
04-06-2005, 08:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> Eric &gt;ran into wall with eyes closed in 1995 <hr /></blockquote>

Seriously I thought you were rushing in to watch Dragnet reruns. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
http://www.nic-inc.com/pics/badges/m140.jpg <hr /></blockquote>

Just the facts, Nick /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Eric