PDA

View Full Version : dg-in-centralpa is in the hospital

dg-in-centralpa
04-04-2005, 07:01 PM
Hello friends. Mrs. DG here. D has been in intensive care since Easter Sunday with a very severe Strep infection (Beta Hemolytic Strep). I have detailed info on a word document I can send to you on request.
Short (?) version: He was very very sick and very nearly did not make it. The infection is in his left arm - primary source is the elbow. The arm has been saved with some minor dead tissue removed. After a time he'll be shooting pool again. His body went into shock and presently his kidneys are not functioning and he is receiving dialysis. They hope to return to work (his kidneys, that is) within the next 2-3 weeks.
His spirits are low - any messages I will forward to him. I also send out daily updates. If you want to receive these, let me know.
I'm sorry I was this long getting in touch with you. I know your friendships mean a lot to him.
Sincerely,
Mrs. DG

Troy
04-04-2005, 07:10 PM
Here's wishing DG the best...

Troy

Sid_Vicious
04-04-2005, 07:26 PM
Duane has has made a good friend here, I am really sorry to hear this news. There seems to be so many close friends and family who are in peril. Times like these are when we need to thread our pattern of family, be it blood or not. Thanks so much for the update. Please let me know the changes with this ordeal.

Tell him to hang in and be ready for the next Kentucky Derby race, he'll understand. I will follow up in a personal message.

Sincerely,
Sid

Kato
04-04-2005, 07:42 PM
Mrs DG please send Duane my best.

Kato

cueball1950
04-04-2005, 08:03 PM
Please tell duane that cueball1950 says he has to get better real quick as the derby is coming up real quick..lol seriously, i will put duanw in my prayers for a speedy recovery. Just tell him i said hi.............mike
do you have a hospital address and room number for him

dg-in-centralpa
04-04-2005, 08:16 PM
He is in the Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, PA but is not able to receive mail till he gets out of intensive care. I'll let you know when that happens - should be soon.
Mrs. DG

PQQLK9
04-04-2005, 09:34 PM
Thanks for letting us know about Duane Mrs.DG. Know that my prayers are with
the both of you and please pass along my regards to Duane for a speedy recovery.

Rich R.
04-05-2005, 03:36 AM
I'm very sorry to hear this and I hope Duane gets well soon.

In fact, tell him he better get well soon, because I want a rematch, when he comes to the U.S. Open.
I won't accept any excuses. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
04-05-2005, 05:28 AM
Mrs. DG,

Sid here again. I hope you find Duane in better condition and improved spirits today. I have a correction on the Derby comment. It was the Belmont. Thanks again for the updates. A big HELLO to DG!

Sid

Barbara
04-05-2005, 05:47 AM
Tell Duane to hang in there and I'll send him some chocolate!!

Barbara

Deeman2
04-05-2005, 06:07 AM
Mrs. DG,

My best to Duane. He has always added a lot to our group here and always had good opinions and advice to give. All our prayers are with him.

Please do keep us updated.

Deeman

9 Ball Girl
04-05-2005, 06:46 AM
Hey Mrs. DG! Tell Duane that he has to get better 'cause he still owes me some chocolate!!!

In all seriousness, though, I'm wishing him the best. Hang in there!

Wally_in_Cincy
04-05-2005, 06:59 AM
Damn, that's kind of scary, I hope and pray everything works out ok. Tell dg when he gets better I'll send him some souvenirs from Keeneland.

Eric.
04-05-2005, 07:29 AM
Wow. Please tell Duane I'm wishing him well.

Eric

BlindPlayer
04-05-2005, 08:23 AM
Dear Mrs. D,

I don't know your husband but I love to pray and he's now on my list moved up to the top.

Since your from PA are you familiar with Word of Life of upstate NY? I had the privledge of recruiting for their Bible Institute from 80'-83'. Spoke in High Schools in 17 east coast states MOST of them in PA!

SPetty
04-05-2005, 08:42 AM
How horribly scary these few weeks must have been for you and your family. Please let him know we're thinking of him and help him keep his spirits up. Attitude is very important when physical things aren't going well.

He'll be back up and around in no time.

highsea
04-05-2005, 11:08 AM
Thanks for letting us know Mrs. DG. Beta strep is nasty business, I had a bout with it when I was in college. Hope Duane gets up and running ASAP. Tell us if there's anything we can do, okay?

stickman
04-05-2005, 07:25 PM
Mrs DG, thanks for letting us know. Tell Daune we are thinking of him, and will be keeping you both in our prayers. I hope he is feeling better soon.

Jim

landshark77
04-05-2005, 08:11 PM
Please tell DG that my wishes are with him and I hope he gets better soon.

dg-in-centralpa
04-05-2005, 08:43 PM
Update from Mrs. DG 4/5/05
He is out of intensive care! He was sitting in a chair for the first time and got to each a lunch (cream of mushroom soup, cranberry soup, jello, some sherbet type stuff. He has by-passed the intermediate care unit and moved right into the regular rooms.
Next surgery is scheduled for Thursday. He's still weak as a kitten, but his spirits were much better today.
Thank you all for your notes. I have taken them in to him and read them. He really enjoyed them and it brought a smile to his face.
Thank you all again very much - he is on the mend!
Mrs. DG

Troy
04-05-2005, 09:07 PM
Good news indeed !!!!!

Please keep us posted on his progress.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Update from Mrs. DG 4/5/05
He is out of intensive care! He was sitting in a chair for the first time and got to each a lunch (cream of mushroom soup, cranberry soup, jello, some sherbet type stuff. He has by-passed the intermediate care unit and moved right into the regular rooms.
Next surgery is scheduled for Thursday. He's still weak as a kitten, but his spirits were much better today.
Thank you all for your notes. I have taken them in to him and read them. He really enjoyed them and it brought a smile to his face.
Mrs. DG <hr /></blockquote>

CarolNYC
04-06-2005, 02:58 AM
Mrs.DG
Please give Duane my best and let him know we're thinking of him and he's in our prayers!
Carol

Rich R.
04-06-2005, 03:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Update from Mrs. DG 4/5/05
Mrs. DG <hr /></blockquote>
Damn, I like good news. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dg-in-centralpa
04-06-2005, 06:32 AM
From Mrs. DG - Room Number Update:
Sorry - I forgot to add, he is in Room 5243 at the Hershey Medical Center. Please reply for more info. Going to see him this am (Wed) and taking all your good wishes with me for him.
Mrs DG

dg-in-centralpa
04-06-2005, 06:36 PM
Update from Mrs. DG
He's feeling very good and eating real food. Got dialysis and 2 units of blood today to prepare for another surgery Thursday. I'll report again Thursday night.
Thank you for all your positive thoughts - they really perk him up.
Mrs. (very hopeful) DG

Rod
04-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Mrs DG, please tell DG, Duane, hello and best wishes for me. I've not been on this side of BD for a while. Wow, glad to hear he is doing ok. If I read this right it started in the elbow area? I'm pressed for time but tell DG he really needs to work on his stroke. LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Seriously, glad to hear DG is doing much better.

Rod

Wally_in_Cincy
04-07-2005, 05:39 AM
Thanks for the update. Please tell dg we're thinking of him.

dg-in-centralpa
04-08-2005, 04:28 AM
UPDATE FROM MRS. DG: THURSDAY 4/7 VICTORIOUS!
Surgery #5 was today. The arm was again opened and cleaned. Dr Simpson, who has done all the surgeries and seen Duane's progress, was very pleased. The tissue all is pink and healthy. Duane himself looks better all over - skin looks very good. The arm was stitched closed except for two locations: 1 on the outside elbow and 1 on the inner arm (over the bicep). The arm was re-wrapped and vacu-sealed and put in a cast.

The plastic surgeons were there again, working together with Dr. Simpson and will be working with Duane next week. Some skin grafting may need to be done. Next surgery is scheduled to Monday.
That means he will be relaxing all through the weekend and ready for visitors if you would like to see him. Most of the contraptions are off of him and he looks good.

He took his first walk today. Just down the hall a bit, but he did it without having to hold on to anything. He was so proud.

Dialysis will continue for now. He is back on blood pressure medicine to keep his blood pressure DOWN. Sugar count is taken 4 times x day and insulin is given as needed. Any pain medication is now taken by pill. His appetite is good and he is enjoying being able to eat again. He still needs help, however, since he has only one good hand.

The doctor estimated he will be in the hospital another 2 weeks. The infection seems to be flushed from the arm but may still be in his blood stream for another 6 weeks.

After tonight, I may lessen my updates to every-other day.

A very tired mrs. dg

Wally_in_Cincy
04-08-2005, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the update. It sounds like things are going well, or as well as can be expected. It's going to take him a long time to get his strength back so be patient with him. Tell him if he's a good boy and cleans his plate I will send him a Wishbone Ash CD /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sid_Vicious
04-08-2005, 05:57 AM
Mrs DG,

Is Duane taking phone calls? If so, how do I contact him, and when's a good time of day?

Thanks,
Sid

Rich R.
04-08-2005, 07:00 AM
Overall, that sounds like a good report card. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tell Duane to keep things going in the right direction.

Also, tell him that we really know that all of these operations are only to improve his pool stroke, and nothing more. He is looking for an unfair advantage. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

As for you, Mrs. DG, please take care of yourself. Make sure you are eating and sleeping right. It is easy to run yourself down, while you are worrying about Duane. Take some time and make sure you stay healthy.
As for posting updates, we welcome them whenever you have the time and the energy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dg-in-centralpa
04-08-2005, 08:59 AM
from Mrs. DG
Thanks for the note. I did take your advice and took a nap this am that went longer than I planned. So I didn't make my am hospital visit - turns out he was in dialysis anyway so it was a good thing.
Feeling better and ready for the weekend. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Improving his stoke, eh? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Mrs. DG

SpiderMan
04-08-2005, 10:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Hello friends. Mrs. DG here. D has been in intensive care since Easter Sunday with a very severe Strep infection (Beta Hemolytic Strep). I have detailed info on a word document I can send to you on request.
Short (?) version: He was very very sick and very nearly did not make it. The infection is in his left arm - primary source is the elbow. The arm has been saved with some minor dead tissue removed. After a time he'll be shooting pool again. His body went into shock and presently his kidneys are not functioning and he is receiving dialysis. <hr /></blockquote>

How did this happen? Was it an infected cut on his elbow?

SpiderMan

dg-in-centralpa
04-08-2005, 06:13 PM
DG sez "Ooh! that works for me!" from his hospital bed
mrs. dg

dg-in-centralpa
04-08-2005, 06:47 PM
from Mrs. DG:
He had a scrape on his left elbow that he doesn't remember getting. It looked like a brush burn, didn't even bleed, just took off a few layers of skin. Started swelling like a small bump, then the nausea and high fever (104)kicked in and the swelling spread down to his hand and up the arm then across his chest. Don't know when he got the scape, but these symptoms I just described started Good Friday pm.
mrs. dg

dg-in-centralpa
04-08-2005, 07:06 PM
DG - to my many friends and ccb family. I have never experienced the outpouring of love and care and thoughts that you have shown to me, my wife and family. I'm not sure how this happened or why it picked me, but it is one bitch to work with. I want to thank you all for your love and support. I do hope to be back soon, although I don't expect to be out of the hospital for another 1 1/2 - 2 weeks. This has been extremely hard on all of us and your love and support makes it easier to get through. AS updates become available, Mary (that's me typing) will post them. While i'm doing better, I'm still not out of the woods. Many thanks to all of you and will be posting regularly soon.
If anyone wants to know any details about what I am going through, feel free to ask Mary (that's still me typing). And I am still planning to make it to the US open.
Many thanks for all my friends,
Duane

Wally_in_Cincy
04-09-2005, 07:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> ...I am still planning to make it to the US open. <hr /></blockquote>

Cool. You will have fun.

Barbara
04-09-2005, 07:36 AM
Hey Duane!

You know you have to get better in time for that Cream reunion concert at the Royal Prince Albert Hall in London.

Barbara

cueball1950
04-09-2005, 11:05 AM
well i just surprised DG with a phone call and i found his spirits to be quite high. He really is surprised with the outpouring of messages and notes of warm wishes from everybody on here. i told him that this is what friends do for one another. He says that he is still planning on making it to the OPEN this year. I hope so. I am so sorry that i missed him at valley forge. ANyway he said to say hi to everybody and to say thank you for all your kind words. He has another surgery on monday so i told him that we all are praying for him.............................mike

Voodoo Daddy
04-09-2005, 11:41 AM
Miss Ginger Baker, Jack Bruce and Eric..whats-his-name? NO WAY...get better buddy and next year at VF, stick around for more than 45 seconds, will ya? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DickLeonard
04-10-2005, 05:46 PM
Blind player I delivered Liquor to Schroon Lake and would drive by the Word of Life but I didn't have time to Stop. I haven't heard anything about them in years.

There was a private Girls Camp near Minerva where a famous singer, Lannie Kazan went in her Youth, I heard her mention it on a talk show once.####

dg-in-centralpa
04-12-2005, 05:21 AM
REPORT FROM MRS. DG:
Two steps forward, one step back. Our Ace continues to heal! Had a bit of a rough day yesterday when some nausea hit him in the evening. But before that we put him in a wheelchair and took him outside to feel the warm sunshine. He loved it, but felt that sidewalks where wheelchairs are used should not be made of bumpy brick. I also combed his hair, massaged his back and helped pick some dead skin off his feet. The skin on both hands and feet died and is coming off in thick layers, leaving healthy baby soft skin beneath. Not to worry - all is fine.

Today was dialysis (boy, I can really spell that word by now) in the am and surgery in the pm. Dr. Simpson once again flushed the arm tissue, reporting that all looks fantastic! He thought the plastic surgeons would be ready to take over today, but they are hesitant since Duane is still on dialysis. The arm will be flushed one more time on Wednesday. It remains up in the air whether Duane will be discharged, continue dialysis at Good Samaritan here is Lebanon as needed, then re-admitted to Hershey for plastic surgery or whether he will remain at Hershey for a while longer. His kidneys are doing better, but no estimate on when they return to work on a full time basis (they must be having SOME vacation.)

I will keep you posted. If in the meantime, you are planning to visit Duane, I suggest you call his nurse's station at 531-8825 to make sure he will be in his room.

Yours truly and still holding it together,
Mary

Wally_in_Cincy
04-12-2005, 05:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr>
...Dr. Simpson once again flushed the arm tissue, reporting that all looks fantastic! ... <hr /></blockquote>

Good news. Thanks. Maybe if you sneak a six-pack in to him that will kick-start his kidneys /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rich R.
04-12-2005, 07:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Had a bit of a rough day yesterday when some nausea hit him in the evening. But before that we put him in a wheelchair and took him outside to feel the warm sunshine. <hr /></blockquote>
Well there you go. That is the problem.
Duane is a pool player. You should have known that a pool player can not deal with all the fresh air and sunshine. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BTW, Wally has the right idea to cure the kidney problem. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

dg-in-centralpa
04-14-2005, 05:09 AM
ON TO THE NEXT STEP;
Surgery again today (how many now?). The last one for Dr. Simpson, the orthopedic surgeon who has worked on Duane's arm from since Duane's transfer to Hershey. The infection is now cleared from the arm and it (the arm) is ready for reconstruction by the plastic surgeons. A member of the plastic surgery team came to speak to Duane this evening to explain their plan. He will be going into surgery Friday (poor guy doesn't get a break). They will be doing some skin grafting, using skin from both of Duane's thighs. The outside of Duane's elbow, above and below the elbow, are bare of skin. If I understand the plan correctly, they will use a flap of healthy skin from the arm over the elbow section and the other skin like a jigsaw puzzle to fill in where that skin was. Sounds very confusing, but whatever works... They may even graft skin with the blood vessels attached and use microscopic surgery to secure these to the site. The surgeon also mentioned taking skin from the healthy arm. It may or may not "take" the first time, but that is ok because this is a procedure which can be repeated until it works. Sounds amazing, but remember, I am only the reporter and may not have all information exactly correct.

How long? They are now telling him 2 - 2 1/2 weeks. Poor guy. Now he'll have more places that will hurt. And all this in and out of the OR is really wearing him out. He has one day to eat and try to keep it down before he's whisked down to surgery again. I'm planning to be with him all day Friday. Reminder - if you come to the hospital that day and he is not in his room, he is in surgery (or dialysis?) and I will be (maybe?) in the surgical waiting on the 5th floor, north with the big windows. Best bet is to call the nurse's station before coming. He may be in rough shape most of Friday.

Today I spent time with him, bathing him, clipping and filing his toenails (picking off dead skin), and putting on his favorite pair of beat up sweat pants from home that I just finished repairing (they had a 12-14" hole that he claimed was for ventilation?!). I was so proud to finally be able to do something for him other that sit with him or feed him. Then he passed out on me and lost his dinner. Guess we overdid it.

Tired. Going to bed. Mary

DickLeonard
04-14-2005, 05:16 AM
Thanks for the laugh Mary I quess I am not the only crazy person with their favorite outfits. Tell him keep practicing in his mind it is the best road to improvement.
####

dg-in-centralpa
04-14-2005, 07:45 PM
Update 4/14 pm
Feeling much better today after a nasty day yesterday. We washed his hair for the first time since Easter weekend (boy, did he feel better after that!). He had dialysis and received 4 units of blood. He enjoyed a great evening visiting with us, Kathy &amp; Walt (his Mom and Dad), Jessica and I. You should have seen how the color came back in his face (and in Jessica's) as they held each other. He enjoyed a lovely bland dinner of liquids - beef broth, ginger ale, orange sherbert, cranberry juice, blue jello, tea, and grape juice. Afterwards, he looked rested and strong for the surgery Friday.
Mary

Barbara
04-14-2005, 08:27 PM
Hey Mary!

Does he have CD player with headphones? I could lend him the Head East CD of "Flat as a Pancake"!

Barbara

Rich R.
04-15-2005, 03:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Afterwards, he looked rested and strong for the surgery Friday. <hr /></blockquote>
This being Friday, I'm hoping Duane has a good day, today. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dg-in-centralpa
04-16-2005, 04:04 AM
Friday 4/15/05 - have you paid your taxes?

Today Duane had what may be his last surgery in this war. The plastic surgeons worked for quite a while with him, hoping that everything will work well the first time and he won't have to see the OR again. His arm is wrapped up like Superman with a basketball for an elbow. He has strict instructions: DO NOT MOVE THE ARM!!. After 4-5 days, they will check the dressing and see how things are. Maybe he will come home earlier than expected. Tonight he felt a bit woozy after the surgery, but still feels better than he did a couple of days ago.

Saturday - he will be going for dialysis sometime. That is a 4 hour procedure so if you want to visit him, call first to make sure he is available. The phone number to his room is 531-6552. The room number is 5243 (5th floor between the Rotunda and the South Elevator). He will probably have dialysis every 2-3 days. We hope to get those kidneys working again. For those of you who suggested large amounts of beer, I did ask the doctor about that and he didn't believe that would help him at this point. (Hey - you tried!)

We had some special time - just the two of us. Read the paper, combed his hair, trimmed his nails and watched some billiards on TV.

The plans are to get him up and moving. He's taken some short walks already, but needs to do more. They have also mentioned having him do some steps.

That's all for now. Enjoy the sunshine and the beauty of the weekend. I think I will sleep.
Love, Mary

Rich R.
04-16-2005, 05:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> For those of you who suggested large amounts of beer, I did ask the doctor about that and he didn't believe that would help him at this point. (Hey - you tried!)<hr /></blockquote>
What does he know??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Obviously, this doctor does not believe in Alternative treatments. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Sid_Vicious
04-16-2005, 05:41 AM
Sounds upbeat Mary, thanks. I didn't even consider a call into Duane yesterday with the surgery scheduled. One thing I absorbed for a while after my talk with him on Thursday was the comments that the interns were making, some apparently were repeatedly standing and gazing at him, seemingly most if not all were a little in awe over the fact that Duane even survived. I imagine that a studying intern would be more at liberty to say personal observation whereas a full doctor might not. I don't know about anyone else, but this puts the whole thing into a much stronger perspective for me,,,frightening to imagine that a scrape on the arm could literally come so suddenly close to causing that big dirt-nap, all in the timeframe of the way this one did, DAMN!

Makes you think about today's priorities...I think I'll play some pool and put off the yard one more day. In all seriousness, I am going to appreciate what I have a lot more after this, and learn to give myself "today" as much as logically possible.

Just thought this was worth amplifying to those here. We all need to be thankful for what each of us have right now, it could change just that fast...sid

Wally_in_Cincy
04-16-2005, 08:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> ... For those of you who suggested large amounts of beer, I did ask the doctor about that and he didn't believe that would help him at this point. ...<hr /></blockquote>

Holy moly I was kidding! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for the update and have a nice nap.

dg-in-centralpa
04-16-2005, 09:32 PM
Duane was very chipper today. His arm is really wrapped up - his Mom nick-named him "Popeye" (you know...fat arm compared to body). He says he doesn't feel much pain at all. Got to eat 2 1/2 meals - REAL meals today! (the 1/2 was interrupted when he had to go to dialysis).
Nothing scheduled for Sunday (yippee!). The doctors will check his arm mid-week. There is a chance he may come home next weekend! (OH MY GOSH! GOTTA CLEAN THE HOUSE SO HE CAN WALK AROUND, MAKE SURE THE LAUNDRY IS DONE, IRONED, PUT AWAY, KEEP THE CAT OUT OF THE HOUSE, GO TO THE GROCERY STORE SO THERE'S PLENTY OF FOOD ON HAND, AND IF PEOPLE COME TO VISIT, OH MY OH MY...)
Smiles all around at his improving health and the thought of him coming home.
Mary

dg-in-centralpa
04-16-2005, 10:11 PM
Dearest Wally,
Fear not, nor allow guilt to trouble you so.
Many friends of DG have suggested doses of brew to help make his kidneys function anew. Or just to make him feel better! Man, there are going to be parties when this guy gets out!
Mrs. DG

dg-in-centralpa
04-16-2005, 10:17 PM
He does not, but little miss dg does. We have that disc - it is one of my favorites. And yes, he really misses hearing good rock &amp; roll. He can get tv, but no radio. Poor guy.

dg-in-centralpa
04-17-2005, 05:58 PM
From DG: Hello Everyone! Feeling much better. No surgery scheduled for a few days and maybe none at all if the skin grafting works. I may even go home after next weekend!
I spent almost all day today sitting up in a chair, relaxing, reading, watching tv, napping a bit. Had company tonight and took a short walk down the hall to look out the windows. Can't wait to be home again.
Thanks to all of you for your e-mails, etc...what a boost for me to hear from you. Now I'm tired and ready to sleep.
DG
typed by the ever-faithful mrs.dg

stickman
04-17-2005, 06:46 PM
Duane, by way of Mrs.DG, I hope you are home and feeling better soon. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim

Rich R.
04-18-2005, 03:28 AM
Hi Duane, by way of Mary /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif, I'm happy to hear that you are on the mend.

Since it appears that you will be leaving the hospital soon, I have been very concerned about your rehabilitation. This will be very important, in the weeks to come.

Yesterday, I set up a conference call between myself and all of your doctors, at the Hershey Medical Center.

After a very long discussion, we came to the mutual conclusion, that your rehabilitation should, in part, be comprised of one solid month of daily training with Jeanette Lee.

Now, don't resist. It is for your own good, so, don't fight it. We know it will be a hardship, but, you will be better for it.

I'm sure Mary, good wife that she is, will be more than happy to support the decision made by your doctors, and me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, if you absolutely refuse this treatment, we will have to find someone to take your place.
Now, that will be a tough job. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

dg-in-centralpa
04-18-2005, 04:55 AM
rich r - it's kinda funny you mention that - as the doctors were making their rounds this am at 5, they were mentioning this same thing. i thought i was asleep or back on morphine. apparently i was awake and heard correctly. many thanks for your help.
dg /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Vagabond
04-18-2005, 05:02 AM
That is very good news.Cheers
Vagabond

dg-in-centralpa
04-18-2005, 07:32 PM
Duane is "wonderful good" and ready soon to come home once now
Wheee! Duane had his IV's removed today. Kidneys are coming back and he may NOT have dialysis tomorrow. They will be doing blood testing tomorrow to see if those "kidders" are finally back from vacation. He has taken nice walks around the floor of the hospital and enjoyed full meals although his liquid intake is still regulated until the verdict comes back on the kidneys.
Tomorrow - Tuesday - they will change the dressing on the arm. I MUST see this, so I am planning to spend most of the day with him. Hopefully he will be Popeye no more. The patch on his thigh where they took the skin for the skin graft looks a bit grim right now, but I'm sure that will heal with time and care.
All good news . . . .
goodnight. . .
mary (mrs. dg)

Rich R.
04-19-2005, 03:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr>All good news . . . .<hr /></blockquote>
I really like good news. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
04-19-2005, 05:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr>. Kidneys are coming back and he may NOT have dialysis tomorrow. <hr /></blockquote>

Excellent. Thanks for the good news.

rukiddingme
04-19-2005, 10:14 AM
Great news indeed!
ruk

Deeman2
04-19-2005, 11:17 AM
All our best from the Texas contingent....

Deeman

dg-in-centralpa
04-20-2005, 12:39 PM
Update! I came home last night! Mary was with me yesterday when the dialysis doc came in and told me that I was going home. You could have knocked us both over with a feather. We had no idea this was coming. I still had to do another round of dialysis first. Mary started packing up all my things. According to the hospital, I was officially discharged at 4:15 but only left the hospital at almost 8pm, had a half hour drive home, plus had to stop at the drug store before they closed at 9pm. I was getting pi$$ed that it took me so long to get out. Many thanks for the phone calls, cards, thoughts, and prayers. It seems that the worst is over, except for therapy, and maybe some skin grafting. I will be at the Open. I doubt if I will be able to play the CCB tourney, depends on my arm. But I must come to see all of you. You all have shown more love and care for me and my family than some of my blood family. For this I, as well as Mary, am eternally grateful. Your notes, calls, thoughts helped me get through some rough days. Agai to everyone here, thank you for all you have done.

Duane

Deeman2
04-20-2005, 12:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> some of my blood family. Duane <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Duane,

You are family.... </font color>

Deeman
great news....

Wally_in_Cincy
04-20-2005, 01:24 PM
That's good news dg. Do you still have to do dialysis?

PM me with your snail mail please.

Barbara
04-20-2005, 03:15 PM
Isn't it great to be home again!

Now you can wear all those sweatpants with all the holes in the wrong places and you won't embarrass Mary in public anymore!

Keep the good healing coming!

Barbara

dg-in-centralpa
04-20-2005, 03:37 PM
Wally,
I still have to do dialysis 3 times a week. They think for only a month but time will tell...

Duane

dg-in-centralpa
04-20-2005, 07:59 PM
We never expected to be home so soon, but here we are. It took the hospital over 4 hours to discharge DG so we got home late (9pm after stopping at the drug store first). He slept like a baby and a little later than usual. 2 1/2 hours with the visiting nurse who will come every day to change his dressing and monitor his progress.

I saw his arm today. I took pictures so we can monitor the progress. It is very grim to see and hard to imagine that it will ever heal. DG was really fatigued after the dressing was changed and promptly fell asleep for a well earned nap. The dressing covers all of his hand through to about 4" below the shoulder. I counted at least 50 staples and many stitches. Eventually I'll be changing the dressing.

He will continue to receive dialysis M W F at a dialysis center for probably a month. He is passing fluid, but the kidneys are not doing what they should be doing yet. The doctors there will also be in charge of his blood pressure medication. Next week he goes back to the hospital to see the "Plastics" (plastic surgeons) as a follow up.

He can eat whatever he wants to but is limited to 1500 ml of liquid daily. That includes Jell-O, ice cream and such stuff, so it is rough on him as he is so thirsty. He can walk around a bit, but tires quickly. It's so hard now that he is home because he hates feeling so helpless. We remind him that his body is fighting a huge battle and he must just be patient with it and let the healing continue.

I'm planning to go back to work tomorrow in the afternoons. Kathy or Walt will come be with him in the afternoon at least until Little Miss DG comes home from school. It's an adjustment we all need to make, but worth it all to have him back with us again.

Time for me to get some sleep.
Love, Mrs. DG

Rich R.
04-21-2005, 03:38 AM
It's good to have you home again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When you get a little stronger, you will have to schedule that rehabilitation that your doctors, and I, recommended. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

As far a playing in the CCB tournament, you can play one handed. After all, none of us can make "three freakin' balls", why should you? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just enjoy the relaxation and take your time getting better.

dg-in-centralpa
04-21-2005, 01:53 PM
Rich,
You're right about "runnin' 3 freakin' balls". I had a hard time doing that at VF this year. Kinda hard when you don't get a shot. I am napping alot trying to catch up on lost sleep.

Duane

dg-in-centralpa
04-29-2005, 01:11 PM
He's been home a week and a day, and getting better! He moves around the house on his own. When he needs an extra hand for brushing his teeth or putting in his contacts, little miss dg and I are there for him. He's eating regular home cooking but still limited to 1 1/2 liters of liquid per day. Blood pressure seems to be stabilizing and he's kept all his food down for the last several days (knock on wood).

The kidneys are showing some signs of improvement but still have a good way to go. He still goes to dialysis MWF but has not performed his fainting 3 times in a morning routine since last Friday. I've decided that these kidneys need to be treated like babies in the womb ... I am going to start reading to them, talking to them kindly, reminding of what their function is, maybe I'll sing to them a bit too, to encourage them to wake up and come back to work. ("Wake up little kidneys, wake up!")

Speaking of work, I am doing my best to be back to work, even if it is only a part time schedule at this time. The visiting nurses were coming every day to change Duane's dressing, but now that job goes to me because...

ALL THE STITCHES AND ALL THE STAPLES WERE REMOVED TUESDAY! Follow-up appt with "Plastic" 2 weeks after final surgery went well. Over 133 stitches and 50-70 staples were removed. Overall, the arm is healing well except for 2-3" square area around the elbow which has turned black. We go back again in 2 weeks. The arm is still grim to look at and will be permanently scarred (it looks like a shark attacked him, but we think he should say it was a killer guinea pig). His shoulder has mobility, but the rest is returning very slowly. He's trying to get his thumb to touch each of the fingers. Appt with physical therapist next week.
His spirits are good, and although he is restless to be well, he sleeps a lot. I feel a bit safer leaving him alone for little periods of time now.
And life continues on. We are chugging our way through a beautiful spring, grateful of so many wonderful things and looking forward to his continuing healing.

Thank each one of you for your loving, healing thoughts for all of us here.
Mary (mrs. dg)

Wally_in_Cincy
04-29-2005, 01:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> ... I've decided that these kidneys need to be treated like babies in the womb ... I am going to start reading to them, talking to them kindly, reminding of what their function is, <hr /></blockquote>

Maybe you should feed him some kidney beans.

Thanks for the report. Tell dg I am mailing him a gift tomorrow.

dg-in-centralpa
04-29-2005, 02:16 PM
I love kidney beans! Although mrs. dg doesn't like the after effects. dg
from mrs. dg - kidney beans... i like that idea. as for the after effects, i learned early in our marriage not to EVER put my head under the covers.