PDA

View Full Version : Help Get Tony Robles Invited to Cardiff!!!

cuechick
06-04-2002, 02:28 PM
My friend emailed me about a post he made at the World Champinship site to try and get an invite for Tony. You can log on there and post your support. I'd really believe Tony deserves a spot in this, the biggest of 9-ball tournaments. His 2nd place finish in Vegas was no fluke he beat Archer, hall and Duel (2 X's) on his way and he is a great embassador and a true NY'er!!!
Please check out the info and let them know what you think!!!

From "Madman" :
I spoke to Tony Robles and he just found out he hasn't been invited to
the World Championships in Cardiff.
If everyone can log-on to this website which is being run by the sponsors
of the tournament.Go to the topic that I posted about Tony and reply
positively.
The tournament organizers watch all the topics and replies and this might
persuade them to give Tony one of their last spots in the tournament.
Also pass this on to anyone that might be willing to do this.
http://www.worldpoolchampionship.com/forum/default.asp

Eric.
06-04-2002, 02:49 PM
I'm with ya. Tony deserves a shot and I'll throw my 2 cents in at the website!

Eric

06-04-2002, 03:11 PM
I tought there where qualification tournaments to get in?

Vagabond
06-04-2002, 03:26 PM
Howdy Cue chick,
I did my part.
Vagabond

06-04-2002, 03:30 PM
Malcolm, even the best players are never favorites to win qualifiers. Stick Strickland in 10 qualifiers and see how many he wins. My guess is, depending on format, not more than 3 or 4. Maybe a little more if it's long races, definitely less if it's short races.

It's not fair to ask great, deserving players to qualify. It's been Grady's complaint about the BCA Straight Pool tournaments forever, and he's absolutely right.

Putting the BCA Vegas 2nd place finisher in a qualifying tournament is shameful, and Matchroom needs to know that.

- Steve Lipsky

06-04-2002, 03:41 PM
Ok you are right about that, didnt think of it :-)
You must think the races are shorter then normal tournaments then?

cuechick
06-04-2002, 03:59 PM
You guys are awesom, it hasn't even been an hour and already there is a good thread going! Keep it up!!
http://www.worldpoolchampionship.com/forum/default.asp

06-04-2002, 04:56 PM
Tony Robles = CHOKE

hw can he get in.

06-04-2002, 05:57 PM
I would have no problem with having people have to either qualify or winning a qualifying event if it wasn't going to cost me, and others, a minimum of $3000.00 in expenses to buy a plane ticket, hotel, entry fees, food and go across the pond to get shot at the tourney. Meanwhile a bunch of snooker players who have never played pool for more than one week a year get invited to come play. What happened to running qualifiers in the U.S., Luke Riches was talking last year about how this would be done.

I got nothing against the snooker players playing, but it makes me slightly mad when Mark Williams in an interview last year talks about how he wasn't taking it seriously and he wasn't to worried that he had done poorly. Meanwhile career pool players are spending thousands of dollars to try even qualify for the event. 13 Americans qualify for the event, yet Matchroom can invite 32. Only 8 people can then try qualify. For some reason the math just doesn't add up.

Make it fair, make everyone have to qualify, including the snooker players.

AzHousePro
06-04-2002, 06:40 PM
Aren't the Cardiff invitations the responsibility of the UPA?

06-04-2002, 07:23 PM
Sorry for my ignorence, but I do not know who Tony is but I do wonder about his achievments.... are you telling me that he deserves to go to the WORLD Championships just because he came in 2nd in one event in the US?? that does not seem to add up to me. Maybe I am missing smething here

cuechick
06-04-2002, 09:07 PM
Tony has been around for quite a while and has had many achievements, his recent finish in Vegas is just one of the reasons he should be considered if a there is a spot to fill. ( You can familarize yourself with his game by checking him out on Accustats where I beleive they have his match in the Str Pool US Open where he had the high run of the tournament against Archer, or watch him on ESPN beat Corey in the semis in Vegas) He competes at the same level as the best in the world so IMO (and many others as the growing thread at match shows) How can you have a true World Championship if you do not include the World's best? I am sure there are others that could be included that are not...If only 32 Americans are invited than certainly some will be left out. I happen to believe that Tony easily should be among that top 32, if not the top 5.

cuechick
06-04-2002, 09:11 PM
If you do not agree that is your privilidge and right, this was not put out as a debate, if you don't want to support him, don't. I am confident he has enough fans and friends to more than fill the bill. There is no need to post nasty Anonymous messages, that only show your lack of balls. Not too handy a trait for a pool player.

06-04-2002, 09:12 PM
In response to the last reply.Tony has won many open 9 ball tournaments.Open meaning open to anyone,the fields usually contain top professionals including Mika Immonen etc.
He finished second recently that's why people mentioned it but to add he just won a tournament in New York this weekend.
I hope that clears things up for you,I don't want you to be missing anything.
Other than 9 balls that is.

Harold Acosta
06-04-2002, 09:19 PM
Only 16 people have posted comments on behalf of Tony altough there have been 99 views of the post.

Let's support Tony on this one!

Nostroke
06-04-2002, 09:19 PM
I had heard that the invites were the responsibility of UPA (Charlie Williams) also but Charlie told people he couldnt get Tony in - it was up to Luke Riches.

Im thinking maybe Charlie had already given in the names and understandibly didnt want to pull someboody out to get Tony in so he kinda said Riches was only way in (at this point.) Maybe Luke will set us straight.It would be great to have Tony in it!!

06-04-2002, 09:22 PM
but... he really, CHOKES!

06-04-2002, 09:27 PM
I don't understand how you can say he chokes when he has won and done well in so many tournaments.
You are a moron.
Bring it on!

Vagabond
06-04-2002, 11:26 PM
Howdy,
Let him get into with wild card.Some one with clout has to pull the string.
Vagabond

=k=
06-05-2002, 06:12 AM
cuechick glad to help out one so deserving.. hope he makes it and kicks butt..

cheesemouse
06-05-2002, 06:30 AM
cuechick,
Not only is Tony a top player but he if very popular in a very large pool market area ~~New York~~~If it is up Charlie and he is into promoting the good of the game in America he should see promoting Tonys getting in as a 'good move' on his part and good for pool as Tony is a serious gentleman pool player and a threat to take it off in style. JMHO /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

06-05-2002, 07:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: cuechick:</font><hr> My friend emailed me about a post he made at the World Champinship site to try and get an invite for Tony. You can log on there and post your support. I'd really believe Tony deserves a spot in this, the biggest of 9-ball tournaments. His 2nd place finish in Vegas was no fluke he beat Archer, hall and Duel (2 X's) on his way and he is a great embassador and a true NY'er!!!

From "Madman" :
positively.
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.worldpoolchampionship.com/forum/default.asp>http://www.worldpoolchampionship.com/forum/default.asp</a>
<hr></blockquote>

I think that there are only 16 spots available for the USA.This limits many fine players from the states from participating.Also Tony doesn't play as much as in the past and may not been invited because of this fact.

A possibility to consider would be to try and get him in as a representative of Puerto Rico?BS

06-05-2002, 10:58 AM
Luke Riches has replied to the Matchroom forum thread. He states that there is simply no way to get Tony invited. Interestingly, he mentions that Charlie Williams' UPA did not provide Tony's name in the 13 players they were allowed. Not too sure Charlie wanted that to be publicly mentioned.

Still not clear at all on who gets the invites. It makes absolutely no sense to me that the US only gets 13 spots (Riches even implies this is a lot - "more than 10% of the field"). To only give 10% of the spots to American pool is absolutely indefendable. Maybe I'm being ethnocentric but we have a pretty deep talent pool.

Anyway, it's definitely sad news, but there appears to be nothing we can do.

- Steve

06-05-2002, 02:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: cuechick:</font><hr> My friend emailed me about a post he made at the World Champinship site to try and get an invite for Tony. You can log on there and post your support. I'd really believe Tony deserves a spot in this, the biggest of 9-ball tournaments. His 2nd place finish in Vegas was no fluke he beat Archer, hall and Duel (2 X's) on his way and he is a great embassador and a true NY'er!!!

From "Madman" :
positively.
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.worldpoolchampionship.com/forum/default.asp>http://www.worldpoolchampionship.com/forum/default.asp</a>
<hr></blockquote>

That will never happen. First of all there are many better players aside from Tony Robles who can't even get in there. Tony chokes though.

06-05-2002, 06:34 PM
There has to be some changes made in these international tournaments if they are ever to truely be international. There should be tournaments held in all the other countries. And the top finishers in these playoffs would earn spots in the international tournament. They do this in things like poker and blackjack. You can't expect someone to spend thousands of dollars to travel and participate in a tournament. And then have the possibility that they lose their first match and it's over for them. Another thing that could be added is a second chance provision. That is if the event is staged over several days. I was in a blackjack tournament. Say it was imited to 140 spots. 7 players would play at each table. And the two highest would advance to the next level. That would mean that 40 players would advance to the second level. And the drew two names at random to fill 2 more spots to make a total of 42 which would be 6 tables starting in the 2nd round. On days when the tournament wasn't filled up, you could pay again and re enter the first round if you lost, until all the spots were filled. I know this second chance wouldn't work in local tournaments because it would take up too much time. But it could work in large international tournaments that last several days or longer. Those are my two suggestions. Have some sort of satellite qualifing rounds held all over the world. And possibly add second chance to the tournaments.

cuechick
06-05-2002, 08:01 PM
Yes Steve,
I actually got an email from Luke, and info on the Qualifer's. Tony would is more than willing to enter and try to qulaify; but is unsure if he can arrange to go because of the length of time involved. That is the same time he is scheduled to have his son for the summer. (Tony's commitment to his son as anyone knows is why he is the man he is)

He is EXTREMLEY touched by everyone who has supported him.

I think Charlie's list had to be based on tournament wins &amp; points over the last year. He did add his plea for Tony on the the thread at Match. I know a few others who sent emails...
Thanks to everyone!!

Alfie
06-05-2002, 08:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Steve_Lipsky:</font><hr> Luke Riches has replied to the Matchroom forum thread. He states that there is simply no way to get Tony invited. Interestingly, he mentions that Charlie Williams' UPA did not provide Tony's name in the 13 players they were allowed. Not too sure Charlie wanted that to be publicly mentioned.

Still not clear at all on who gets the invites. It makes absolutely no sense to me that the US only gets 13 spots (Riches even implies this is a lot - "more than 10% of the field"). To only give 10% of the spots to American pool is absolutely indefendable. Maybe I'm being ethnocentric but we have a pretty deep talent pool.

Anyway, it's definitely sad news, but there appears to be nothing we can do.

- Steve <hr></blockquote>
The Cardiff tournament is a WPA sanctioned event. The WPA has 96 slots to fill. Matchroom gets the other 32 slots.
http://www.worldpoolchampionship.com/event_info.asp

WPA allots x,y,and z many slots to each of it's underling governing bodies.
http://www.wpa-pool.com/members/members.htm

They are trying to make it a world championship in an Olympic sort of way, IMO. However, the US does get the lions share of the WPA slots. The BCA (Canada, US, Puerto Rico) gives 13 of it's slots to the US, and lets the UPA decide who goes.

I would think that you must be a member of UPA to get picked. Is Tony a member?
The UPA takes the top 13 ranked US players who don't decline the invitation for one reason or the other. The picks are currently listed at the UPA website. It is their top news item for May 23, 2002. There are actually 14 picks, perhaps one is an alternate.
http://upatour.com

As far as Matchroom's 32 slots go, they give some (11?) out in qualifiers, all held in Bristol (very close to Cardiff) the week before the championships.
http://www.worldpoolchampionship.com/qa.asp

The rest will go to whomever Matchroom thinks will make more money for them, IMO. The US does not get to see this on the telly. How much of a following does Tony Robles have outside of the US?

All of this is what I gather from a few websites and is strictly IMO.

06-05-2002, 09:52 PM
Yeah...it's really easy to say things like that when you don't have the guts to put a name with it.
Anonymous = Coward

06-05-2002, 10:16 PM
sorry..but, he does CHOKE though.

06-05-2002, 10:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> sorry..but, he does CHOKE though. <hr></blockquote>

everybody chokes everytime they miss a shot.

or they win it all and everyone forgets the chokes.

dan...ack!

06-06-2002, 02:23 AM
Eddie

I disagree that this event is not truly international. There will be somewhere in the region of 43 different countries represented. All the major pool playing nations are well represented - USA 14 players, Philippines 7, Taiwan 9 etc. The vast majority of players in the event have qualified by competing regularly in major events in their own countries. It would be nice to have qualifying events for some of the spots so that players who have not competed regularly can get a chance. Perhaps the UPA would like to run one next year in the US? At the end of the day no matter how good a player may be, if he doesn't play in enough events, is it fair to take the place away from a player who does in order to accommodate him?

Luke Riches

06-06-2002, 02:33 AM
I don't know anything about this or any of the major tournaments. I didn't mean to imply it wasn't international. What I was trying to do was offer up 1 or 2 suggestions how to make this and other tournaments more affordable to players. It has to be hard to spend maybe $2500 to $5000 or more to go out of the country to a tournament. And then not even qualify to play in it. I think if would make it easier on players if all the major tournaments would hold qualifiers in various more easily accessible areas. The major US tournaments could hold qualifiers in maybe 5 to 10 various regions of the US. Like they do for the World Series of Poker and for bigh blackjack tournaments. That was the main idea I was trying to propose. And a second chance to enter the beginning round might be doable in tournaments that last a few days or longer. That was my minor proposal.

06-06-2002, 07:57 AM
I would guess in an ideal world unproven pool players, such as the snooker players competing in the World Championship, should have to qualify for the event.

However, I'm sure the event in Cardiff wouldn't go ahead if Sky Sports in Britain weren't involved, and it is in their interest to capture a good television audience in Britain. One way to do this is to put familiar snooker player faces on to the television screens.

Alan.

Eric.
06-06-2002, 09:05 AM
What's your beef with Tony?! Do you have any clue what it is like to play at his level, with his level of action? I'll put it to ya this way; get Tony and 31 of the WORLD's best players into a tourney and you know what? Tony has the potential to win. I'm not saying he will, but can. You have to remember, like Golf, any top 1-30 pro has the potential to win. Sometimes there is a lesser known pro winning.
I might be a little biased because I like the guy. He's a stand up guy, 100% down to earth a has a nice family. You gotta respect that too. So without dragging this out, you've got the 7.

E

06-06-2002, 09:49 AM
i saw him choked a couple of times each time he plays for $ here in nyc.

06-06-2002, 10:35 AM
That's why there are more seats in the spectator section than at the players tables.

Railbirds like anonymous don't have the guts. All they can do is watch.

cuechick
06-06-2002, 05:36 PM
I knew you would reveal your self for the lieing idiot you so obviously are, ANYONE that actually knows Tony knows he dosen't play for money! EVER....NEVER!
You can make all the fake names you want moron, but it won't change the fact that you are just one little tiny man with too much time on your hands and no guts. Come on, I'LL play you for money and just let's see who chokes! Anytime, bring it on!

bigalerickson
06-06-2002, 05:53 PM
Cheering Cuechick all the way!!!

stickman
06-06-2002, 06:34 PM
You go girl! LOL /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

cheesemouse
06-06-2002, 06:40 PM
cuechick,
give him all the breaks and wait for him to dog it every rack. LOL /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Barbara
06-06-2002, 07:43 PM
Hey Cuechick!

Invite him over to Castle's NEWT tournament on June 22nd and 23rd so we can ALL get a piece of him(/her?)!!! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif !!

Barbara~~~a Tony fan, too...

06-06-2002, 09:41 PM
Way to explain it Chick!!!! But can he/she/it comprehend it??

06-06-2002, 11:15 PM
Tony who? Nahhh... not near the caliber of top USA Pros. But I do hear he chokes though.

06-07-2002, 01:11 AM
To mR.Lipsky &amp; Fans of Tony R.,

I just wanted to inform you that I was the first person to try to get Tony into the World Championships. I think Tony and Matchroom will verify that. My post is also on the worldchampionships forum.

Since Tony is one my best friends, I take it a little personally that you made it sound as if I did not want him in the World Championships. The fact is that I tried before anyone else did as I contacted Matchroom Sports directly.

And to further inform you is that the UPA selects its top 13 ranked pros to attend the event and it is solely based on points which is an unbiased system. Unfortunately Tony does not have a ranking since he has not competed on tour in the last 2 years. Tony by the way understands this completely and why the UPA and my position as president cannot make any exceptions.

And to be fair, being invited to the Worlds is an honor not a right. And the US gets more invitations than any other country by far. (And by the way, the 14th US player is Nick Varner who gets an automatic invite because he has won the World Championships in the last 5 years)

Sincerely,
Charlie Williams

06-07-2002, 03:30 AM
Charlie, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I was not writing that I thought you did anything underhanded. I meant that it was in poor form of Mr. Riches to imply that it was because of you that Tony was not invited.

It was something about the way he seemed to pass the buck on the issue that I thought YOU would have been offended about. It was definitely not something where I thought you were trying to surreptiously get Tony out of the tournament :-)

I'm sorry if I phrased my comments poorly. It was definitely not the way it was intended. Again, it was the way that Mr. Riches mentioned it that rubbed me the wrong way.

- Steve Lipsky

CarolNYC
06-07-2002, 03:48 AM
Hey Charlie,
I know you are Tony's good friend and definitely believe you did everything you could possibly do!And,hey, thanks for hanging last year in Vegas-I had a good time!
See you at Corner!
Stay well!
Carol

06-07-2002, 05:30 AM
Thanks for clarifying the misunderstanding. I'll keep you on my pass list again next year at the BCA!
Charlie

CarolNYC
06-07-2002, 07:12 AM
My husband,I and friends had a good time hanging out with you! Didnt like the way I stated previous reply!
Take care!
Carol

06-07-2002, 08:00 AM
Steve

I take great exception to your statement that I was somehow dissing Charlie Williams. Charlie Williams and the UPA do not have the power to say which American players can and can't go to the World Championship. Rather it is their ranking system, which seems to me fairly devised, that determines the US contingent. The fact that Tony Robles was not picked was solely down to the fact that he didn't play enough tournaments and/or those he did play in he didn't finish sufficiently high in that dictated whether he was a US pick for Cardiff, which is how it should be.

Luke Riches

06-07-2002, 09:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Luke Riches:</font><hr> Steve

I take great exception to your statement that I was somehow dissing Charlie Williams. Charlie Williams and the UPA do not have the power to say which American players can and can't go to the World Championship. Rather it is their ranking system, which seems to me fairly devised, that determines the US contingent. The fact that Tony Robles was not picked was solely down to the fact that he didn't play enough tournaments and/or those he did play in he didn't finish sufficiently high in that dictated whether he was a US pick for Cardiff, which is how it should be.

Luke Riches <hr></blockquote>

Luke:

Hmm, it seems that only one British player qualified via the WPA but Matchroom Sports bowed to real or expected market pressure and allocated spot(s) to British players to provide 'home interest.' On June 5, you wrote the following:

'Presumably he [Tony Robles] did not get a high enough ranking or play in sufficient tournaments to get in the top 13. Matchroom's 32 spots are for players around the world who fall through the WPA net. For example the WPA nomination includes only ONE British player so therefore we need to provide some home interest.'

But you also wrote the following this morning (June 7), a statement which I will quote again:

'The fact that Tony Robles was not picked was solely down to the fact that he didn't play enough tournaments and/or those he did play in he didn't finish sufficiently high in that dictated whether he was a US pick for Cardiff, which is how it should be.'

As an old logic professor, I do not think these two passages cohere at all. The first statement specifies that market pressures and country identifications influence the allocation of player invitations. This follows from your stated wish to provide for the 'home interest.' The second statement asserts that rankings achieved through pool competition will decide who will receive a nomination. So, player A who failed to earn an invitation gets an invitation so Matchroom Sports can make money on its tournament; Player B fails to get an invitation because he failed to earn it, 'which is how it should be,' as you claim. Do you see a problem here. I do.

By the way, I have no problem with Matchroom making money on this venture. But, there's no need to add more nonsense to an already nonsense-laden world to justify the fact.

Stephen Zielinski

06-07-2002, 09:08 AM
charlie are you that little asian idiot who was there with a couple of friends at the BCA and none of you would shut the hell up so anyone else in the arena could enjoy the matches??? I saw some of the pros glance up at you morons a couple of times cause you were so loud.

cuechick
06-07-2002, 09:16 AM
Tony has been so touched (and a bit overwhelmed) by everyones support and encouragement that he has been able to rearrange his schedule and is now planning to participate in the Qualifers! We (a few of Tony's friends) are going to arrange a fundraiser 'pool' party so he can do this. I will start another post for those interested and able to attend and if you can not attend but would like to contribute send me a personal message and I will send you info!
Thanks!

06-07-2002, 09:23 AM
I'm not sure you understand how this works. The WPA have 96 spots which they distribute to their continental associations. The Matchroom Sport are for players and territories who fall through that net. The USA is adequately represented by the WPA (BCA)with 14 players whereas the UK isn't ( 1 player). Therefore, we will give wildcards to British players. The system is by no means perfect, but that's the way it is. In the past the Philippines have had no nominations from the APBU because of political fall-out so we have had to use our wildcards to put Filipino players in the field. It's not about making money because we do that pretty good anyway; it's about trying to get the best players there on a global basis.

stickman
06-07-2002, 09:59 AM
"It's not about making money because we do that pretty good anyway; it's about trying to get the best players there on a global basis."

A pretty good arguement could be made that Tony is one of the best players on a global basis.

"The WPA have 96 spots which they distribute to their continental associations."

Surely Tony is in the top 96?

"The system is by no means perfect, but that's the way it is."

I guess this sums it up. /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

06-07-2002, 10:09 AM
Anonymous -

What's your prob? You mean to tell me you don't "choke" every now and then? I mean, it happens to the best of us. You do play the game right? Tony is a very good friend of mine and I don't appreciate the silly comments from "nameless player haters".

- Wendy

Scott Lee
06-07-2002, 10:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Luke Riches:</font><hr> I'm not sure you understand how this works. The USA is adequately represented by the WPA (BCA)with 14 players whereas the UK isn't ( 1 player). It's not about making money because we do that pretty good anyway; it's about trying to get the best players there on a global basis. <hr></blockquote>

I don't understand...you say BCA in one paragraph and UPA in another, as the responsible parties for figuring out who gets to go from the US. Which is it? They are two totally different and disparate organizations! Also you say you are only trying to get the best players into your tournament on a global basis. Surely you don't compare Tony Robles' skills with those of the Austrailian contingent (among several other countries listed...ie: Brazil, etc.) listed on the roster of players. They are not even close! BTW, I do understand the explanation of how UPA picks who goes on behalf of them...which is why Tony wasn't included. However, on the basis of pure skill, there are MANY legitimate American players who would beat the pants off of a significant percentage of the 'international' field you have selected. So, it not ALL about bringing in the "best" players.

Respectfully,

Scott Lee

06-07-2002, 11:47 AM
i honestly had no idea that TonyR was so well known in billiards and so skilled:-) i appreciate the fact that he's replied and given very informative answers to my posts from my first visit here. thank you sincerely TonyR. unfortuantly, it's extremely unlikely that any amount of letters of messsage board posts for that matter would allow a rule change. sports organizations in general are unyielding..sometimes to the point of absurd(the Utah Jazz fiasco comes to mind..Utah Jazz??? no name change allowed). from what i've read the various billiards associations are no differant from other sports commitees. good luck regardless TonyR/Mr. Robles and thanks again for your helpful answers. i'm sure that you'll easily meet the requirements next year. congradulations on your second place victory in Las Vegas. very impressive, but i didn't place TonyR with Tony Robles. i'll pay more attention to the larger tournaments now and you have a new fan.
best regards,
^v^

06-07-2002, 11:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Luke Riches:</font><hr> I'm not sure you understand how this works. The WPA have 96 spots which they distribute to their continental associations. The Matchroom Sport are for players and territories who fall through that net. The USA is adequately represented by the WPA (BCA)with 14 players whereas the UK isn't ( 1 player). Therefore, we will give wildcards to British players. The system is by no means perfect, but that's the way it is. In the past the Philippines have had no nominations from the APBU because of political fall-out so we have had to use our wildcards to put Filipino players in the field. It's not about making money because we do that pretty good anyway; it's about trying to get the best players there on a global basis. <hr></blockquote>

Now, this is just silly. You cannot possibly justify the inclusion of many of the UK players on the basis of underpresentation based on 9-ball skill. IMNSHO, Matchroom wants British (especially Snooker) players in the field because your audience is primarily British. Your fans want to see Jimmy White or Mark Williams play - not because they are great 9-ball players, but because they are great snooker players who they know and love.

Now, Matchroom is putting on a world class event and and putting up lots of money, so giving it some spots to give out to ensure fan interest may well be justified. I have seen the telecasts live (in Canada) for the last two years, and you put on the best event I've ever seen. But please don't suggest that the quality of the field is Matchroom's main concern in distributing its spots.

Regards,

Gideon

06-07-2002, 12:17 PM
Luke:

You wrote:

'I'm not sure you understand how this works.'

If you are unsure whether I actually understand the mechanics of your selection 'system,' the method behind the madness, so to speak, why don't you enlighten me. Just tell me what you think I'm claiming and how it differs from the facts of the matter. I'll let you know if you got it right.

'The WPA have 96 spots which they distribute to their continental associations. The Matchroom Sport are for players and territories who fall through that net. The USA is adequately represented by the WPA (BCA)with 14 players whereas the UK isn't ( 1 player).'

What criteria are you using to determine that the 14 players allocated to the United States adequately represents the skill level of the set of all players living and playing in the United States relative to the skill level of the set of all players in the world. That is, are you claiming that the United States has only the top 14 players in the world (actually, 13 plus one invitation)? If so, kindly provide your reasons for claiming this.

'Therefore, we will give wildcards to British players.'

I see you backed off the claim that wildcard slots are going to British players because of the 'local interest' they provide. Why did you decide that the 'local interest' no longer matters? Or, is it the case that you decided it was far too difficult to claim publicly and therefore to defend this localistic reason for allocating more slots to British players. In any case, why is one player inadequate for Britain? Why does Britain rate more than one?

'The system is by no means perfect, but that's the way it is.'

I've noticed its imperfections. That's why I previously claimed it flawed. That's why I and others are now arguing with you over the merits of the system.

'In the past the Philippines have had no nominations from the APBU because of political fall-out so we have had to use our wildcards to put Filipino players in the field. It's not about making money because we do that pretty good anyway; it's about trying to get the best players there on a global basis.'

By 'trying to get the best players there on a global basis' I understand the best players in the world. We could rank them 1-96. Who indeed are you referring to with this claim. Are you claiming that the 96 players in the tournament will be the best 96 players in the world? If so, why?

By the way, making a lot of money does not preclude the wish or the need to make even more money. Are you thus claiming that Matchroom Sports will not make any effort to grow or expand? I find this hard to believe. I might be wrong, though.

Steve

06-07-2002, 12:58 PM
It's a mark of the standing of this tournament that there will be a lot of great players who will be competing in the qualifying tournaments in Bristol, chasing an elusive spot.

When there's a true world tournament, where only the top few players from many countries are selected, then whatever the qualifying tournaments are, or whatever other selection criteria are used, some very capable players will be left behind. Even the greatest players aren't always consistent. Even Tiger Woods doesn't always make the cut.

The truly great player will do what it appears Tony will be doing. Put out some effort to get to the place where you need to be. Go there, get a qualifying spot, and just keep winning.

Best of luck to the man ... but just slightly less luck than my own horse.

06-07-2002, 01:17 PM
Maybe they should have elimination tournaments in the USA to see who gets it. That might take some of the politics out of it and give the better players a true chance to earn a spot. What happens if the best players aren't in the organizations that allocate spots?

06-07-2002, 04:55 PM
I think this is getting a little bit silly... this is a world championship and as such I think the more countries that get invited to this event to this event the better...why??... to insure development in each of the participating countries billiard programs. There are untold sports in which not all of the players most deserving based on skill level get to play.... lets take the wolrd cup of soccer for example.. I bet the top 1000 brazilian players are all better than every team member from saudi arabia ... does that mean that saudi arabia does not deserve to be represented??? why not have 20 teams from brazil in the tourney instead? I think the US has plenty of spots alloted them for this championships. I am totally in favour of more representation from other (possibly weaker) countries

Scott Lee
06-07-2002, 07:13 PM
d0wnt0wn...I agree! I don't have any problem with exactly what you're saying. Just don't say in the publicity statements (by Luke Riches) that your primary interest is in having the best players in the world, because that is simply not the case here.

Scott Lee

Tom_In_Cincy
06-08-2002, 09:52 AM
I didn't see Tony's name listed on the membership list of the UPA.. is this an oversite or just not enough room on your website to list all the players?