PDA

View Full Version : Gerda AND Allison

jjinfla
04-05-2005, 04:57 AM
There is a full page ad in IP (pg 99) for their two day instructions. Only $1900. Are they BCA certified instructors?

Just imagine what they could be charging if Gerda had won the WCC. But two 2nd place finishes in the last 4 WPBA tournaments by Gerda is not bad. And the TV time sure will help in bringing in the students. Instructions by the best the WPBA has to offer (Allison) and the person who has beaten the best. (Gerda)

Not a bad combination.

Jake

catscradle
04-05-2005, 05:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> There is a full page ad in IP (pg 99) for their two day instructions. Only $1900. ... <hr /></blockquote>

Too high, too high!! I can't see spending that much for 2 days from semi-pro instructors, no matter how well they shoot pool or how much I respect them, when I can get 3 days of professional instruction for less.
JMHO.

SplinterHands
04-05-2005, 05:22 AM
<hr /></blockquote> I can't see spending that much for 2 days from semi-pro instructors, no matter how well they shoot pool or how much I respect them, when I can get 3 days of professional instruction for less.
JMHO. <hr /></blockquote>

Are you saying Allison and Gerda are semi-pro's? That must be a typo.

pooltchr
04-05-2005, 05:35 AM
Allison and Gerta are professional players. They are also recognized (the first level) as instructors by the BCA. RandyG is at the Master (top level) instructor. Scott is Advanced level and probably soon to be Master. I just upgraded to Certified level. The differences are based on how long you have been an instructor, how much teaching you do, and the recommendation of a Master or Advanced level instructor.
As has been stated many times, great players don't always make the best instructors. I'm not saying Allison and Gerta aren't good instructors. I've seen them play and they are great. I haven't seen them teach, so I don't know.
I believe they went to Randy's school to become BCA recognized instructors.
I just spent 3 days with Randy and Jerry Powers at Cue-Tech and can honestly say that I don't believe you will find better instruction anywhere in the country at any price.
JMHO
Steve

catscradle
04-05-2005, 05:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SplinterHands:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote> I can't see spending that much for 2 days from semi-pro instructors, no matter how well they shoot pool or how much I respect them, when I can get 3 days of professional instruction for less.
JMHO. <hr /></blockquote>
Are you saying Allison and Gerda are semi-pro's? That must be a typo. <hr /></blockquote>

In respect to being instructors, NOT in respect to playing pool.
Alison is my absolute favorite, and Gerda a close second.

SplinterHands
04-05-2005, 05:48 AM
I get a lesson from Allison all the time by watching her play on TV. Being able to "Pick the Minds" of two world class players would be worth the cost in my opinion. That is something a Master instructor can't provide.

catscradle
04-05-2005, 06:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SplinterHands:</font><hr> I get a lesson from Allison all the time by watching her play on TV. Being able to "Pick the Minds" of two world class players would be worth the cost in my opinion. That is something a Master instructor can't provide. <hr /></blockquote>

If you have surplus money I agree, but with limited money for pool instructions I believe it is better spent with somebody like Randy G, Scott Lee, Mark Wilson, etc.

Barbara
04-05-2005, 06:16 AM
cat,

You will really enjoy Pool School with RandyG. It will make your brain hurt and you will learn new stuff.

When Allison and Gerda teamed up with a couple of male pros and had their Pool School in Paradise that lasted a whole week, I thought that may have been a good deal. It was for a whole week and IIRC, it cost $2000. $1900 for 2 days is just too much money for so little time, IMO. To learn well you need to be able to ingest the knowledge. Some people are able to retain knowledge more quickly than others.

Barbara

jjinfla
04-05-2005, 11:54 AM
People who attend these celebrity pool schools are more interested in rubbing elbos with the greats rather than really learning about pool. IMO. If they learn something, then that is gravy. Jake

Gayle in MD
04-05-2005, 02:01 PM
I'm with you. That's just too much money, IMHO, for such a short amount of time. I'm going to get five hours with Fran Crimi, a Master Instructor, Julie Kelly and Karen Coor for $150.00, with a limited number of students, can't beat that! I have so much respect for Allison and Gerda, also,... in fact, to me, those four women are WPBA's tops, not only in shooting, but in class, but $2,000.00 for two days?

Gayle in Md.

Cane
04-05-2005, 03:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SplinterHands:</font><hr> I get a lesson from Allison all the time by watching her play on TV. Being able to "Pick the Minds" of two world class players would be worth the cost in my opinion. That is something a Master instructor can't provide. <hr /></blockquote>

Splinterhands, Allison and Gerta are two of RandyG's Students ... They seemed to think that picking a Master Instructor's brain was quite useful! Besides, and I posted this on another thread, look at the BCA Masters List, the UPA Roster and the WPBA Roster and you'll find MANY professionals that have been to Cue Tech Pool School in Dallas. Besides, I spent much less in my first three trips to Cue Tech Pool School than I would have to spend for two days with Gerta and Allison. Nothing against these great players, but if I'm going to spend money on learning more about this game, I'm going to spend it on a Randy G or Bob Jewett and NOT on a professional player that is one of their students.

Later,
Bob

Later,
Bob

jjinfla
04-05-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Splinterhands, Allison and Gerta are two of RandyG's Students ...
Later,
Bob
<hr /></blockquote>

It appears that Gerda and Allison were very good students and now they have surpassed the master - at least in earning power. Their BCA instructors should be very proud of them.

Jake

jjinfla
04-05-2005, 06:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> I'm going to get five hours with Fran Crimi, a Master Instructor, Julie Kelly and Karen Coor for $150.00, with a limited number of students, can't beat that! Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote>

Now that sounds like the best deal I have heard in a long time - $30 per hour with Fran, Julie and Karen. Is that a package deal at Fran's school? Did Fran give up playing in the WPBA? If so, it only shows how hard it is to be in the top 8 of the WPBA.

Jake

Gayle in MD
04-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Hi,
Yes, it will be at Corner Billiards, in NYC, sunday, April 24th, from 11:00 am till 4:00 pm. There will be more about it on Fran's website: Americanbilliardschool, and also on the Corner Billiards website, after Fran returns from Vegas.

I'm not really sure what schedule Frans is following these days, as regards how much time she spends doing tournaments, verses teaching, although I know that teaching is her great love.

See my post from yesterday, NYC Workshop w/Fran, Karen &amp; Julie Kelly. I think the post kind of got lost among the others.

I also think it is a fabulous deal!!
I'm really looking forward to the experience. If anyone is interested, I think there are still some available slots.
You can also e-mail Fran, FranCrimi@aol.com

Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
04-06-2005, 05:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr>
...Did Fran give up playing in the WPBA? ... <hr /></blockquote>

Fran plays in almost every tournament. I think she missed one last year due to a business commitment.

Vagabond
04-06-2005, 07:15 AM
Hi JJinfla,
I do not mind spending even $10,000 to have instruction for two days from my Diva,Allison Fisher!!!!
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

theinel
06-16-2005, 04:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr>Too high, too high!! I can't see spending that much for 2 days from semi-pro instructors, no matter how well they shoot pool or how much I respect them, when I can get 3 days of professional instruction for less.
JMHO.<hr /></blockquote>
Clearly the dollars involved are high but dollars are relative.

For someone truly dedicated to getting better who can only afford to pay that much money once (in a year or a lifetime) those dollars would be better spent on a professional instructor like RandgG, Bob J, or one of the other masters who I am sorry not to be able to list off of the top of my head.

For someone who isn't that dedicated, or who can acknowledge that they will never be great, spending the dollars to glean from one of the all time greats will undoubtedly be very gratifying.

Those who can afford both will do both. Those who can afford only will choose the one best for them or best suited to their hearts.

For me I would almost definitely go with Bob or Randy but as a miserably failed guitarist I often offer myself this parallel... Would I rather have a lesson with Jimmy Hendricks/Jimmy Page/Eric Clapton or with one of the best guitar teachers of all time (none of whom I can name) and the answer is never in doubt.

Fortunatly in a country of nearly 300 Million people with 40+ Million (mostly very non-proficient) pool players there are bound to be plenty of people on both sides of this debate.

Snyder1
06-16-2005, 04:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> Hi JJinfla,
I do not mind spending even $10,000 to have instruction for two days from my Diva,Allison Fisher!!!!
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
<hr /></blockquote>
Aw comon ... in the "easy to look at category" ... Gerta has Alison beat hands down. The G-Force has a sexier accent too (my, how this thread has deteriorated ... /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif)

JS

pooltchr
06-16-2005, 05:04 AM
Good points. I think it comes down to motivation. Someone who is an analytical person will probably gain more from studying with Randy, Fran, Bob, or any number of professional instructors.
Others are motivated by working with the highly recognizable pro players, and are willing to pay more to be able to say they studied with world champions.
People pay big bucks to go to "fantasy baseball" camps to play with the pros. How did those pros learn the game? Probably from the coaches they worked with over the years.
The pros are going to have different things to share from the perspective of someone who has "been there", and I am pretty sure that Allison is quite capable of teaching students a lot. The question to ask is are you buying the instruction, or the experience? Oh, yeah, the other question is your budget
I would love to spend time with the ladies, just as I enjoy working with all of my fellow instructors. I have worked with Randy, Jerry, Doc, Carl, Scott, Jeff Clark, "Cane", and others, and have learned something from each of them.
I will be working with Randy, Scott, and Bob in October here in Charlotte, and fully expect we will all have more knowledge after the class than we had going in. As a student of the game, that lineup would be closer to my idea of a "fantasy" pool school.
Steve

Fran Crimi
06-16-2005, 06:03 AM
Wally, I passed on all of them so far this year. It's very tough juggling teaching, playing and practice. I'll always compete, because I love doing it, but probably more on a local level.

Fran

eg8r
06-16-2005, 07:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Too high, too high!! I can't see spending that much for 2 days from semi-pro instructors, no matter how well they shoot pool or how much I respect them, when I can get 3 days of professional instruction for less.
<hr /></blockquote> The beauty of a free market. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Time will tell if it is too much and if so, they will lower their cost or adjust what they are offering.

eg8r

LARRY_BOY
06-16-2005, 11:13 AM
Isn't Jeanett Lee's pool school $2900 or is my memory wrong?

feetdoc
06-16-2005, 11:15 AM
if you want lessons from the best karen corr gives private lessons and not at a bad price

Voodoo Daddy
06-16-2005, 11:39 AM
Many years ago I went to a 3 day guitar seminar featuring some of the best pro musicians on the planet. Now these guys get major jack for a peek of thier talents and they shared it with us for a fraction of what these ladies are asking for. Does their number equal what you will get out of their seminar...hard telling, again its all perception.

Some folks will get off being able to say they played with Allison or Gerda and that their money was well spent. Others will swear they got alot out of it knowing they didnt but refuse to look like a fool. Then there is that one or two that will benifit from it, they will be the happy ones. How much more is their seminar than the one CW put one? I dont remember but seems like 3 times the amount.

Enough ramblin'...fades to black

Stretch
06-16-2005, 01:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> Many years ago I went to a 3 day guitar seminar featuring some of the best pro musicians on the planet. Now these guys get major jack for a peek of thier talents and they shared it with us for a fraction of what these ladies are asking for. Does their number equal what you will get out of their seminar...hard telling, again its all perception.

Some folks will get off being able to say they played with Allison or Gerda and that their money was well spent. Others will swear they got alot out of it knowing they didnt but refuse to look like a fool. Then there is that one or two that will benifit from it, they will be the happy ones. How much more is their seminar than the one CW put one? I dont remember but seems like 3 times the amount.

Enough ramblin'...fades to black <hr /></blockquote>

I can't see myself spending that much money for the Allison and Gerda Fest. For someone that has bucks to throw around sure. Vagabond just said he'd pay 10 grand, so who am i to say. I think the Lady's are aiming at a "nitch" market. The high end rollers and groupies. There's much more practical and accessable ways to improve your game for joe shmoe i think. St.~~Joe's brother~~

LARRY_BOY
06-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Aw comon ... in the "easy to look at category" ... Gerta has Alison beat hands down. The G-Force has a sexier accent too (my, how this thread has deteriorated ... /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif)

JS <hr /></blockquote>

TAP TAP TAP!!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rich R.
06-16-2005, 06:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LARRY_BOY:</font><hr> Isn't Jeanett Lee's pool school $2900 or is my memory wrong? <hr /></blockquote>
You may or may not be correct on the price. I don't remember. However, I do remember that it included the room and some meals for your stay in Vegas for the school.

DickLeonard
06-17-2005, 05:12 AM
Voodoo Daddy my other passion is art. You told me that Toby Sweet gave up pool for art. From what I read about famous artists some apprenticed with the Great Artists and the Great Artists finished the work and signed it, others gained their talent copying famous Artists works at the Lourve etc. Rarely do you read that someone was a pupil of a great teacher. ####

catscradle
06-17-2005, 12:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> ... my other passion is art... <hr /></blockquote>

My two oldest boys (twins) are artists (oil paint), they are looking for patrons. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
BTW, one of them has some pictures posted on the web from his master's thesis show at Northwestern.
Mike's thesis (http://www.developindustrial.com/mike/mike.html). The website Dan's site (http://www.developindustrial.com/) was created by the other until carpal tunnel forced him out of the business of graphic design (he rather be painting anyway).

Voodoo Daddy
06-17-2005, 12:34 PM
I think he would rather paint than play 9-ball anymore. I would think most pool mavens have a underlining talent with music or art, some would never give in to their fears of trying something new...tough being a creature of habit!! Ya know Dick, if I could have any ten minutes back of my life it would be the ten minute span where I made my choice to go after my band director &lt;to inflict pain upon him&gt; in HS, not thinking of what path it took me down....life at 14...HAHAHAHAHA. Lets put it this way, Gene Nagy and myself have more than pool in common.