PDA

View Full Version : UPA Schedule conflicts with DCC

Tom_In_Cincy
04-05-2005, 11:30 AM
The DCC event dates have been made public for the last 8 months. Somebody at the UPA events staff ought to be checking these things... Fans are not going to put up with this crap.

UPA Jan 4th-9th LA Event (http://upatour.org/uptc.asp)

DCC Jan 6th-14th (http://www.derbycityclassic.com/)

Barbara
04-05-2005, 11:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> The DCC event dates have been made public for the last 8 months. Somebody at the UPA events staff ought to be checking these things... Fans are not going to put up with this crap.

DCC Jan 6th-14th (http://www.derbycityclassic.com/) <hr /></blockquote>

And you think this was a coincidence?

Barbara

Eric.
04-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Hey Tom,

I think it's pretty obvious what the marketing plan is for the UPA. Alot of people feel this is divisive and is hurting Pool more than it's doing good.

Just to throw my two cents in; I can understand the UPA trying to "put it's competition out of business". Ordinarily, this is sound business practice. If you are an 800 lb. Gorilla, step into that market, dominate it and eliminate your competition. The only problem is that the UPA ain't no 800 lb gorilla. Right now, they are about a 20 lb chimp and IMPO, might want to find a different plan on growing first.

Hope all is well with you.

Eric

jjinfla
04-05-2005, 11:42 AM
Well it looks like the UPA members will not be allowed to play in the DCC. And the WPBA will also bar their members again. I guess no one will go to the DCC next year.

So much for Joe Tucker's trying to get everyone to work together.

Might as well admit it. Pro pool sucks. At least the leadership anyway. Well, I guess the players too since they go along with it.

Just a comedy of errors.

Jake

Wally_in_Cincy
04-05-2005, 12:06 PM
First the Masters conflict, now this. The UPA is shooting themselves in the foot messing with the DCC.

Have they scheduled a tourney to conflict with the US Open yet?

I wonder if Barry paid the money he "owes" the players from 2001 would they quit doing this, or are they just using that as an excuse?

idiots.

9 Ball Girl
04-05-2005, 12:12 PM
The World Summit of Pool (Grand Central Station) is being held on September 14 - September 17. The 18th is the Players meeting in Virginia for the Open. Whew!

JimS
04-05-2005, 03:23 PM
If I were a pro player and was having these kinds of bogus decisions made by someone else about my income I know EXACTLY who I'd tell to eat s*** and die.

As paying fans I think we can and should let Charlie know how we feel by completely boycotting his tournaments.

That would be up to the individual conscience. How do YOU feel and and what decision will YOU make?

It's clear to me that the UPA is not the organization to depend on for leadership. I promise right here and now that I am one person who will NEVER do anything to put one penny in Charlie's hands.

And to those who say that Charlie is not running the UPA now and is not responsible for these decisions all I can say is don't piss in my ear and tell me it's raining.

John in NH
04-05-2005, 04:25 PM
Hi Tom,

Say it isn't so, the UPA has made a terrible mistake messing with the dates of the DCC, if I were a pro player under the UPA umbrella I would definitely be worried about making a choice here. The DCC is a pro tournament that is second to none and if UPA is causing a conflict they will be the loser.

Anyone who has been to DCC knows that this tournament is one of the best of the year, the pros at UPA will have a difficult decision to make.

Regards,

John

Bob_Jewett
04-05-2005, 04:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> ...

Well, I suppose the good news is that the DCC is long enough that one event can't cover it. If the schedule is like this year, the DCC nine ball will not be affected, but there is overlap with both banks and one pocket.

jjinfla
04-05-2005, 05:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> If I were a pro player and was having these kinds of bogus decisions made by someone else about my income I know EXACTLY who I'd tell to eat s*** and die.

As paying fans I think we can and should let Charlie know how we feel by completely boycotting his tournaments.

That would be up to the individual conscience. How do YOU feel and and what decision will YOU make?

It's clear to me that the UPA is not the organization to depend on for leadership. I promise right here and now that I am one person who will NEVER do anything to put one penny in Charlie's hands.

And to those who say that Charlie is not running the UPA now and is not responsible for these decisions all I can say is don't piss in my ear and tell me it's raining. <hr /></blockquote>

Too funny JimS. Charlie is still on the BOD but the president is Robert Lipson. So the credit/responsibility lies with him. Surely a powerful, influential highly educated man like Lipson can't be controlled by Charlie, now can he?

Well the DCC and the UPA events are 8 months away and most pros will just either not commit themselves or tell people what they want to hear and then come January they will attend the tourney that is best for them.

I won't be at either one so it makes no never mind to me.

Jake

MosconiJr
04-05-2005, 06:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> If I were a pro player and was having these kinds of bogus decisions made by someone else about my income I know EXACTLY who I'd tell to eat s*** and die.

And to those who say that Charlie is not running the UPA now and is not responsible for these decisions all I can say is don't piss in my ear and tell me it's raining. <hr /></blockquote>

I agree completely, JimS. I'll never attend another UPA event. And if I were Greg, it would be easy enough for me. I would ban the players on the roster of the UPA. He has enough quality talent, and pool heros, and characters, and money players, and backers to do just as well without [censored] Williams and his organization.

MosconiJr

Rich R.
04-06-2005, 03:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr>Too funny JimS. Charlie is still on the BOD but the president is Robert Lipson. So the credit/responsibility lies with him. Surely a powerful, influential highly educated man like Lipson can't be controlled by Charlie, now can he?<hr /></blockquote>
Jake, you also have to consider one other factor.
The UPA event is being promoted by "Dragon Promotions".
Gee, I wonder who runs that company? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

You don't think Charlie's promotion company would schedule events to conflict with major tournaments on purpose, do you?

JimS
04-06-2005, 04:08 AM
I wouldn't want Gregg or any other promoter to do what Charlie is doing. It ain't right.

eg8r
04-06-2005, 07:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And you think this was a coincidence? <hr /></blockquote> LOL, not one bit. Not given the history with the UPA.

eg8r

NH_Steve
04-06-2005, 07:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr>
Well, I suppose the good news is that the DCC is long enough that one event can't cover it. If the schedule is like this year, the DCC nine ball will not be affected, but there is overlap with both banks and one pocket. <hr /></blockquote>Which also means a conflict for the "all around" bonus, which was $25,000 last year IIRC.

When will professional pool ever have an organization that actually builds cooperation instead of division??? It's been about a hundred years of nothing but one after the other doing nothing but fighting each other /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Keith Talent
04-06-2005, 07:35 PM
I agree ... can't see only spoiling the one-pocket and banks as some sort of glimmer of hope.

But there could be a silver lining here. If in fact this tourney is what so many say it is, the second coming of Johnston City, all the pros would have to do is show up at their favorite event to break Charlie and the UPA. But would a few big names be unable to resist the temptation of an easy payday with a depleted L.A. field?

theinel
06-25-2005, 02:02 AM
This is such a shame. The DCC is one of if not the best tournament around. For the UPA to schedule any tournament let alone their championship to conflict with long published and expected dates for the Derby is crazy and irresponsible.

I'm sure the UPA has their reasons and that they all focus around the Derby not sanctioning that event, for which I'm sure the Derby has good reasons, but a conflict like this is just ugly. Power plays are always ugly and with all of the promotions in place this one is too far along to prevent but the players on the men's tour should really let their leadership know that this bogus.

Voodoo Daddy
06-25-2005, 06:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> ...

Well, I suppose the good news is that the DCC is long enough that one event can't cover it. If the schedule is like this year, the DCC nine ball will not be affected, but there is overlap with both banks and one pocket. <hr /></blockquote>

Thats not the point Bob...why push buttons when you dont have too? What if those UPA guys wanted to play in all three events for a chance of Master of the Table. UPA sux in my opinion...for doing things like this.

Pelican
06-25-2005, 08:05 AM
UPA = greed, ego, power trip