PDA

View Full Version : 17 yr old undefeated in Memphis's Super 9 ball

UTAddb
04-06-2005, 11:32 AM
AZ link (http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storya.cfm?storynum=2619)
Geez, I'm comin up on 19, I guess I'm over the hill. Justin Bergman goes undefeated against the likes of Buddy Hall, James Baraks, and Scotty Townsend to pocket $7000. Pretty impressive.

Deeman2
04-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Don't fret. Most of us who started very early play our best games at 16~24. I remember Earl when he was 16 and never thought I ever see him lose a match or match up. The same goes for Michael Coltrain who in about '83 was killing everyone. You just can't imagine them not always playing that way. Keith McCreedy may not have missed any balls when he was a teen. I guess we all start dying a little each year after our late teens and even though most of learn more about the game and how to play shots and position usually much better, it's just not like having a 17 year old set of eyes and nerves.

The surprising thing to me is how these young kids garner that much poise and knowledge in such a short time. It's great to see. I think this should always be a game for kids that take it seriouly and can excel. I love watching the young guns who are not jaded by time. Alex winning the Worlds was a great thrill. He may just have to move over for Justin and the others. Youth will be served....

Deeman
no youth left...

SpiderMan
04-06-2005, 02:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> I guess we all start dying a little each year after our late teens and even though most of learn more about the game and how to play shots and position usually much better, it's just not like having a 17 year old set of eyes and nerves.
Deeman
no youth left... <hr /></blockquote>

And then there's Efren ....

SpiderMan

BlindPlayer
04-06-2005, 02:34 PM
"Enjoy the game while you have your eyes and your health".

iusedtoberich
04-06-2005, 02:40 PM
Is Justin the teen from Florida that has braces and a very fast and long warm-up stroke?

UTAddb
04-06-2005, 03:31 PM
I dont know anything about him except I think he won Junior Natl's last year and went to the junior world champs.

Popcorn
04-06-2005, 04:40 PM
"The same goes for Michael Coltrain who in about '83 was killing everyone."

Michael Coltrain in 1983 was like 8 years old

Popcorn
04-06-2005, 07:08 PM
"The surprising thing to me is how these young kids garner that much poise and knowledge in such a short time. It's great to see."

Not really, they play often with mindless abandon and would rather be playing pool then anything else.

"Most of us who started very early play our best games at 16~24."
I don't believe players are at their peak at 24 but just beginning to really play the game. They begin developing a maturity in their play that turns them in to real players, far more then when they were kids. The best players of the game are certainly not the youngest players.

mike_in_iowa
04-06-2005, 07:34 PM
No, he's from St. Louis and I think Mark Wilson is his instructer. I seen him play in Olathe 3-4 years ago and he was already something special. You should have seen all the little kids that could put major packages on you. Tyler Strawn, Mike Banks Jr., and Justin all stood out and cashed high in tourneys with the likes of Bowman, Baraks, Matlock and other big guns. It was enough to make you want to quit the game seeing kids that didn't understand what they were doing was so difficult and they just keep running out and out.

Mike

Sid_Vicious
04-07-2005, 05:00 AM
"It was enough to make you want to quit the game seeing kids that didn't understand what they were doing was so difficult and they just keep running out and out."

I understand the feeling...sid

Deeman2
04-07-2005, 05:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> quote
"The same goes for Michael Coltrain who in about '83 was killing everyone."

Michael Coltrain in 1983 was like 8 years old <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Popcorn,

See how tough these young kids are!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Yep, I guess it was about '93 when Coltrain was at The Vegas BCA tourney. See how us old guys can't rememebr dates. No wonder we can't shoot anymore.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif</font color>

Deeman