PDA

View Full Version : dg-in-centralpa is in the hospital

dg-in-centralpa
04-06-2005, 08:09 PM
Hello friends. Mrs. DG here. D has been in intensive care since Easter Sunday with a very severe Strep infection (Beta Hemolytic Strep). I have detailed info on a word document I can send to you on request.
Short (?) version: He was very very sick and very nearly did not make it. The infection is in his left arm - primary source is the elbow. The arm has been saved with some minor dead tissue removed. After a time he'll be shooting pool again. His body went into shock and presently his kidneys are not functioning and he is receiving dialysis. They hope to return to work (his kidneys, that is) within the next 2-3 weeks.
His spirits are low - any messages I will forward to him. I also send out daily updates. If you want to receive these, let me know.
I'm sorry I was this long getting in touch with you. I know your friendships mean a lot to him.
Sincerely,
Mrs. DG
for follow-up and more info, go to non-pool related, same title

Snyder1
04-07-2005, 04:43 AM
Mrs. DG - sorry to hear about DG's condition. Wish him all the best & hope for a speedy recovery. DG offered to play a game or two when I was in the area & just starting playing ... unfortunately, I moved to the pocono's shortly thereafter and never got the chance. I did appreciate the offer though ... take care DG !!

John S.

dg-in-centralpa
04-07-2005, 04:56 AM
From mrs. DG
Thanks for your words. I'll take them with me today when I see DG - he has surgery this am (thurs).
If you want to keep up with any updates on him, go the the Non-pool related forum. Thats where I post info.
Thanks again. Hopefully you two will still get to play each other. Could always use an excuse to go to the poconos. Are you anywhere near Bushkill? One of my favorite places.
Mrs. DG

JimS
04-07-2005, 05:28 AM
I'm thinking/praying for him and hope you are keeping calm and maintaining a hopefull attitude. Thanks for letting us know.

Snyder1
04-07-2005, 06:30 AM
Mrs DG - I'm in stroudsburg, not too far from bushkill. I'm completely rebuilding my wife's antique Brunswick pool table (family heirloom) - should be up & running in a couple months - if yourself & DG are ever in the area, let me know & I'd like to return the invitation...

John S.

DickLeonard
04-07-2005, 06:36 AM
Mrs DG I will add him to my player/prayer list.

When he is starting to get well tell him that I said most great players would play in their mind ,they didn't need a table to play with.
You never miss when playing in your mind and you develop the hypnotic breathing pattern that allows your body to perform at its peak. Dick Leonard

Scott Lee
04-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Mrs. DG...Please accept my best wishes for a quick and complete recovery for your husband. I had the good fortune to meet him last year, briefly, at Valley Forge. Everyone here will keep him in our prayers!

Scott Lee

Jimmy B
04-07-2005, 11:46 AM
I knew my final match at VF made me sick, I didn't know the effect carried over to others. Tell him the sooner he blocks out my match the sooner he'll be back up and hittin balls. Tell him my prayers are with him and I wish him a speedy recovery.

JB

rukiddingme
04-07-2005, 03:48 PM
Mrs. Dg.
Sure hope he is back up and shooting real soon.
Do you have any pool books or magazines about? Even if he has read them before I know he won't mind reading them again. Pool tapes and DVD's would work as well.
ruk

dg-in-centralpa
04-14-2005, 07:47 PM
Update 4/14 pm
Feeling much better today after a nasty day yesterday. We washed his hair for the first time since Easter weekend (boy, did he feel better after that!). He had dialysis and received 4 units of blood. He enjoyed a great evening visiting with us, Kathy & Walt (his Mom and Dad), Jessica and I. You should have seen how the color came back in his face (and in Jessica's) as they held each other. He enjoyed a lovely bland dinner of liquids - beef broth, ginger ale, orange sherbert, cranberry juice, blue jello, tea, and grape juice. Afterwards, he looked rested and strong for the surgery Friday.
Mary

Rich R.
04-15-2005, 02:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Afterwards, he looked rested and strong for the surgery Friday.
Mary <hr /></blockquote>
This being Friday, I'm hoping that Duane has a good day, today. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dg-in-centralpa
04-16-2005, 04:02 AM
Friday 4/15/05 - have you paid your taxes?

Today Duane had what may be his last surgery in this war. The plastic surgeons worked for quite a while with him, hoping that everything will work well the first time and he won't have to see the OR again. His arm is wrapped up like Superman with a basketball for an elbow. He has strict instructions: DO NOT MOVE THE ARM!!. After 4-5 days, they will check the dressing and see how things are. Maybe he will come home earlier than expected. Tonight he felt a bit woozy after the surgery, but still feels better than he did a couple of days ago.

Saturday - he will be going for dialysis sometime. That is a 4 hour procedure so if you want to visit him, call first to make sure he is available. The phone number to his room is 531-6552. The room number is 5243 (5th floor between the Rotunda and the South Elevator). He will probably have dialysis every 2-3 days. We hope to get those kidneys working again. For those of you who suggested large amounts of beer, I did ask the doctor about that and he didn't believe that would help him at this point. (Hey - you tried!)

We had some special time - just the two of us. Read the paper, combed his hair, trimmed his nails and watched some billiards on TV.

The plans are to get him up and moving. He's taken some short walks already, but needs to do more. They have also mentioned having him do some steps.

That's all for now. Enjoy the sunshine and the beauty of the weekend. I think I will sleep.
Love, Mary

dg-in-centralpa
04-16-2005, 09:29 PM
Update Sat pm 4/16 "When you're smiling..."
Duane was very chipper today. His arm is really wrapped up - his Mom nick-named him "Popeye" (you know...fat arm compared to body). He says he doesn't feel much pain at all. Got to eat 2 1/2 meals - REAL meals today! (the 1/2 was interrupted when he had to go to dialysis).
Nothing scheduled for Sunday (yippee!). The doctors will check his arm mid-week. There is a chance he may come home next weekend! (OH MY GOSH! GOTTA CLEAN THE HOUSE SO HE CAN WALK AROUND, MAKE SURE THE LAUNDRY IS DONE, IRONED, PUT AWAY, KEEP THE CAT OUT OF THE HOUSE, GO TO THE GROCERY STORE SO THERE'S PLENTY OF FOOD ON HAND, AND IF PEOPLE COME TO VISIT, OH MY OH MY...)
Smiles all around at his improving health and the thought of him coming home.
Mary

Vagabond
04-17-2005, 05:51 AM
I wish him for complete recovery.Cheers
vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Troy
04-17-2005, 07:02 AM
That's great news !!!

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Update Sat pm 4/16 "When you're smiling..."
Duane was very chipper today. His arm is really wrapped up - his Mom nick-named him "Popeye" (you know...fat arm compared to body). He says he doesn't feel much pain at all. Got to eat 2 1/2 meals - REAL meals today! (the 1/2 was interrupted when he had to go to dialysis).
Nothing scheduled for Sunday (yippee!). The doctors will check his arm mid-week. There is a chance he may come home next weekend! (OH MY GOSH! GOTTA CLEAN THE HOUSE SO HE CAN WALK AROUND, MAKE SURE THE LAUNDRY IS DONE, IRONED, PUT AWAY, KEEP THE CAT OUT OF THE HOUSE, GO TO THE GROCERY STORE SO THERE'S PLENTY OF FOOD ON HAND, AND IF PEOPLE COME TO VISIT, OH MY OH MY...)
Smiles all around at his improving health and the thought of him coming home.
Mary <hr /></blockquote>

dg-in-centralpa
04-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Duane is "wonderful good" and ready soon to come home once now
Wheee! Duane had his IV's removed today. Kidneys are coming back and he may NOT have dialysis tomorrow. They will be doing blood testing tomorrow to see if those"kidders" are finally back from vacation. He has taken nice walks around the floor of the hospital and enjoyed full meals although his liquid intake is still regulated until the verdict comes back on the kidneys.
Tomorrow - Tuesday - they will change the dressing on the arm. I MUST see this, so I am planning to spend most of the day with him. Hopefully he will be Popeye no more. The patch on his thigh where they took the skin for the skin graft looks a bit grim right now, but I'm sure that will heal with time and care.
All good news . . . .
goodnight. . .
mary

PQQLK9
04-19-2005, 12:11 AM
Thats great news. You deserve a hug. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
http://www.cuddlycollectibles.com/Teddy%20Bears/Gund%20Teddy%20Bears/Plush/Musical/GU15227ChaunceyMusical14.jpg

catscradle
04-19-2005, 04:36 AM
I met DG ever so briefly at Valley Forge, I do wish him the very best in his recovery.