PDA

View Full Version : Bent left arm(Bridge arm) vs. straight arm

christopheradams
04-07-2005, 04:43 AM
I've experimented with a bent left in the past and always went back to the straight arm because I never seen a real difference and always subscribed to the thought that a straight arm is more repeatable and easier to do the same way every time. I now have been using a bent left arm for about a week and have seen an improvement in my game and have also gotten very comfortable with it. Few things I've found:
1. Bent left arm gets me a closer view of the shot.
2. I tend to bend the left arm the same amount each time so it is repeatable
3. Bent left arm makes it easier to keep my head level .
4. The cuestick seems more balanced since with a bent left arm you have to grip the cuestick more forward to get the 90 degree arm angle at cue ball contact.
What made me try the bent left arm again was watching Bert Kinister #11 - advanced fundamentals. Definately recommended.

aco76
04-07-2005, 05:35 AM
I also prefer bent left arm because it makes me more relaxed, plus I can use longer bridge without actually gripping too far.

JimS
04-07-2005, 05:41 AM
I used to use a slightly bent bridge arm (right arm for me) and had often gone to a big bend, like Grady, but Mark Wilson recommended at my lesson with him that I use the straight bridge arm and slide my grip back off the handle to within an inch or two of the end of the cue, and make sure that the grip hand is over the toes of the back foot...not the instep, the toes, helping the arm get clear of the body for the straight follow thru.

Some shots, i.e. delicate precision shots..usually short shots, I've found, respond better to what I refer to as a straight pool or one pocket set-up. That is, like Grady again, a bent bridge arm, very short bridge, grip well forward on the handle and a very short back stroke...like an inch or two.

So..bottom line is I'm learning that it's ok and even recommended to change my setup depending on the shot I'm attempting to pull off.

If you read my signature line you'll see where I got that information. Some say that Sailor used to be "the man" in Chicago straight pool. In addition to "no nonchalantin" he told me to adapt to the shot. Pretty simple down to earth stuff and plain talk from a player from the old days.

ceebee
04-07-2005, 11:34 AM
I use the bent arm posture, I like the comfortable feeling. I really notice more accuracy in hard shots, especially the break shot, with a bent elbow. My torso doesn't have the feeling of rotating around a stationary point.

But what do I know, I still miss once in a while. Maybe I need new glasses, I know I need new eyes & knees.