PDA

View Full Version : Store Owner Charged With Killing Robber

PQQLK9
04-07-2005, 09:15 AM
Gastonia Store Owner Charged With Killing Robber

POSTED: 7:24 am EDT April 7, 2005

GASTONIA, N.C. -- The owner of a Gastonia auto parts store is charged with second-degree murder after a man who allegedly broke into the business was shot to death.

Kevin Blake Moore of Shelby is free on 50-thousand dollars bond. He's accused of killing Tony Lee Long of Gastonia, who police say broke into Moore's store last Saturday morning. Police say Moore shot Long as he ran out of the store into a parking lot.

Authorities say Long was unarmed and hadn't stolen anything.

Court records show Long had been charged 13 times with theft in the last eleven years and was convicted once, serving four months in prison, according to court records.

It's at least the fourth time within the past year a store owner or clerk in the Charlotte region has killed someone who was allegedly trying to steal something, but is the first case in which someone has been charged.

Singlemalt
04-07-2005, 09:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> Police say Moore shot Long as he ran out of the store into a parking lot.

<hr /></blockquote>

That is what cooked him! /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

PQQLK9
04-07-2005, 09:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Singlemalt:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> Police say Moore shot Long as he ran out of the store into a parking lot.

<hr /></blockquote> That is what cooked him! /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif <hr /></blockquote>
For real ...when I had my business the police told me if I shot someone outside to pull them back in. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SecaucusFats
04-07-2005, 10:06 AM
Crimes involving theft or unlawful trespass are not capital offenses.

The article makes no mention of the burglar having been armed, nor does it appear that the store owner was acting in self defense. Once the burglar had decided to cut and run, the store owner did not have the right to act as judge, jury, and executioner. IMO, the storeowner exercised very poor judgement and should be held accountable for his actions.