PDA

View Full Version : Homeless Guy Really Pisses Me Off

SpiderMan
04-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Wierd little story here.

Yesterday around 6 pm, I was scheduled to meet my girlfriend at the Colonel's for some free chicken and salads (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=npr&Number=186776&Forum=np r&Words=spiderman&Match=Username&Searchpage=0&Limi t=25&Old=1week&Main=186584&Search=true#Post186776) .

She had arrived before me, and her van was parked by the street. I noticed as I pulled in that some guy was standing by her driver's door, and talking to her through the open vent window. He looked like a bum, so I walked over and got between him and the door to let her out.

He was a homeless guy, asking to wash her windshield for money. Next he asked me the same thing, said he needed money to eat and ride the bus to the downtown homeless shelter. I told him to wait a few minutes and I would buy him some food.

We went inside, and she told me she thought he was harmless because she had been seeing him around for a few years, and had dropped off some clothes for him in the past. Anyway, I ordered him a chicken sandwich. While we were waiting, I watched him approach several other patrons in the lot.

After we got our food, I took his sack outside and handed it to him in the parking lot. I asked his name, told him mine, shook hands. He asked me again for money, and I politely declined and returned to my meal.

After I got back inside, he took the sandwich out of the sack, unwrapped it, and threw it to the ground so hard that it bounced. Chicken, lettuce, and bread went everywhere, and he walked away in disgust. I went out and gathered up the three pieces of chicken to take home. The dog was much more appreciative of my efforts.

If I see him panhandling again, I will follow him around and warn everyone not to contribute. Am I wrong to be angry, or should I have checked to see if maybe he preferred ketchup instead of mayo?

SpiderMan

ras314
04-07-2005, 01:30 PM
A bottle of Thunderbird would probably have been more appreciated.

I had a guy at a gas station ask for a few bucks to buy gas. Told him to back over to my pump and I'd give him some. No dice, he got a little irritated.

Too many of those jerks around to waste your time.

JPB
04-07-2005, 01:32 PM
I generally don't give panhandlers money, but I have given 10 or 20 to guys honest enough to say they really need a drink. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

P.S. NEVER shake a street person's hand. And NEVER feed a good dog food you have touched with hands that have shaken that hand. Sanitizer is an OK first step, but you need a good handwashinng after that.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-07-2005, 01:42 PM
good decision not giving him money.

any social worker who works with the homeless will tell you not to give them money.

nAz
04-07-2005, 01:49 PM
Hey Spidey it's possible that he is a vegetarian, and you had just insulted him. lol /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Voodoo Daddy
04-07-2005, 01:54 PM
For the last 22 years I have had to commute from South Miami to downtown Miami for work. I have been downtown at all hours but I had a stretch where I worked at 630 AM. Every morning I would see a homeless dude standing in front of the post office and he would simply wave. One morning I bought an egg mcmuffin and a OJ, stopped where he stood and handed it to him...I did this for about a year.

One day he asked me why I kept bringing him this breakfast...I just told him I felt like it and we left it at that. The next day he was standing there with a box in his hand. When I made my drop he said "wait, I wanna show ya something". In the box were war medals, this man suffered from amneizia {SP}, he had no idea what his name was or where he was from but he knew he lived in Miami as a boy.

I called the VA, told them about him, they came to talk to him to ask some questions and brought to the VA for Dr. evaluation. I didnt see him for months until one day he showed up at my work, cleaned up with his sister...they found his family and he wanted to say thanks. Bottom line was there was something about him that was worth taking a shot for, I wish more people would accept kindness and not mistake it for a weakness.

p.s...if a homeless dude tries to clean my windows I tell him he should be a window washer on the square and drive away.

Voodoo~~~typed too much but hadda show not all homeless are scumbags

9 Ball Girl
04-07-2005, 02:22 PM
Hey Spidey, that's happened to me before too on several occasions. One time I was riding the subway from work and there was a 'bum' asking for food or change. I had a half a bagel sandwich with me and gave it to him and only to see him fling it out of the train in disgust. About a week later, I saw him again on another train and he said, "Scuse me miss, can you spare some change?" Remembering the incident from a week before, I said, "Sorry, I don't have my spare purse with me."

Now, here in New York, you never know when a character is going to snap so that remark from me is not something I normally say when I'm asked for change.

Wendy<---so a woman get smacked by a homeless woman for no reason at all last week. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

SPetty
04-07-2005, 02:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> I did this for about a year.

In the box were war medals, this man suffered from amneizia {SP}, he had no idea what his name was or where he was from but he knew he lived in Miami as a boy.

I called the VA,

I didnt see him for months until one day he showed up at my work, cleaned up with his sister...they found his family and he wanted to say thanks. <hr /></blockquote>Wow. That's a great story. Gave me goosebumps.

BlindPlayer
04-07-2005, 04:18 PM
Used to keep $20 worth of McDonald's and Taco Bell gift certificates and give those out in lieu of cash. Most are convinced they will not spend the cash responsibly. Some have sold the coupons for cash (.50c on the dollar? Who knows).

I took a truck load of clothes (especially new socks - they love clean socks) out to the various parks where the homeless "hang". For the most part it was a rewarding experience.

One guy came over picked out a pair of jeans that were way to big for him - put them on and walked away as fast as possible. I didn't give it much thot' at the time but when I departed I saw him walking with his 'old' jeans on staring at the sky in a daze.

I went back to those that know him to inquire and they said, "Oh, he sold them and used the money for drugs; that's his M.O."

Most of use have heard the boo hoo woo is me story and they ask for gasoline to see their sick grandma. When we offer to get a gas can to fill it up the climate changes immediately.

On the positive side. I was pulling into one of my favorite fast food joints and notice a very old man with the longest possible beard pushing a shopping cart filled with his entire "portfolio". It was 11:30 a.m. so I asked him if he was hungry and could I buy him lunch, He said, "yes I am a little hungry."

We ordered and sat together 'cause I was interested in hearing his story. We got our trays and sat down and before I could say another word he said "Grace" for both of us.

This was his story: 25 years ago his wife and 4 children were tragically killed in a car accident. The devastation made it impossible for him to be productive at work and lost his job. Other jobs followed but so did the pattern until eventually he gave up trying. The tragedy was too overwhelming for him.

He has lived on the street for 20 plus years and is content in his circumstances and has a wonderful disposition. It was one of the greatest encounters with another human being that I've ever had.

That was 12 years ago and that day still brings back warm thot's of that ole man and the peace he had inspite of his plight.

nhp
04-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Last night someone approached me at a gas station and asked me to give him a ride somewhere for $20. I declined, and he came back a few minutes later and asked to borrow money from me. I was about to ask him about the $20 he offered to give me for a ride, but I noticed the guy looked pretty damn crazy, so I just politely said no and I took off. At this particular gas station, this is the third time in a year that 3 different people have been there asking for rides. I'm going to avoid that place from now on.

cueball1950
04-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Big Steve...You Da MAn... and i mean DA MAN... i cannot thank you enough for helping this veteran out. Yes i am a Vet and i hope that if i am ever down on my luck like him that maybe somebody will help me like you did for him...mike

SecaucusFats
04-07-2005, 09:36 PM
Wendy,

Remember what the Port Authority Bus Terminal was like back in the day?

Man the place reeked of urine and human waste, bums, crackheads, and mentally disturbed people sleeping and hanging out all over the place.

In the time it took to get off a bus from Jersey and go down to the subway or to the street a person would be asked for money 20 or 30 times and if they were unlucky, they would get robbed.
Stabbings, shootings, and sexual assaults were common things.

Most of the homeless are mentally ill. Years ago they would put them in institutions were they could at least get three squares, a bed and their meds. Then along came the liberals whining about the rights of the homeless, and they eventually got the institutions shut down. The mentally ill were cast out into the streets. Schizophrenics, psychotics, whatever, it didn't matter after all they had their rights- to live like filthy animals in the streets of a world they could never deal with, to scrounge in garbage cans, to die from exposure, to go without treatment, supervision, or meds. How refreshingly "progressive" and humane.

SnakebyteXX
04-07-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Most of the homeless are metally ill. Years ago they would put them in institutions were they could at least get three squares, a bed and their meds. Then along came the liberals whining about the rights of the homeless, and they eventually got the institutions shut down. The mentally ill were cast out into the streets. Schizophrenics, psychotics, whatever, it didn't matter after all they had their rights- to live like filthy animals in the streets of a world they could never deal with, to scrounge in garbage cans, to die from exposure, to go without treatment, supervision, or meds. How refreshingly "progressive" and humane. <hr /></blockquote>

Hmmmmm... I've always been under the impression that it was Ronald Reagan who started that ball rolling while Governor of California. Not exactly a liberal.

[ QUOTE ]
He convinced the legislature (controlled at the time by Democrats) that it would be cheaper, more humane, and more effective to treat the mentally ill in community "half-way houses". The legislature, with some help from civil libertarians, bought into the idea and closed many of the state mental hospitals. This trend eventually worked its way across the country. Unfortunately, the money needed to set up community mental health clinics never materialized at the level needed for an effective system; and, changes in the laws championed by advocates for the mentally ill made it nearly impossible to force mentally ill individuals to remain on needed medications. The unintended consequence of Reagan's no doubt sincere efforts to reduce government expenditures for the mentally ill and to provide them more humane treatment surrounds us every day. A significant part of our homeless population is comprised of mentally ill people who do not take their medication on a regular basis, and who do not receive the support that they need to cope with the stresses of everyday life. <hr /></blockquote>

link (http://irascibleprofessor.com/comments-06-08-04-epr.htm)

SecaucusFats
04-07-2005, 10:36 PM
You can't pin the entire thing on Reagan.

LOCK 'EM UP
THE GOLDBERG FILE
The National Review
December 8, 1999
(Excerpt)

"They were all the victims, it turns out, of liberals, libertarians, and conservatives. The liberals and libertarians banded together under the rubric of "liberating the so-called mentally ill." The intellectual godfather of this monstrosity was Thomas Szasz, a psychiatrist who had written The Myth of Mental Illness in 1961. He wrote, " 'Mental illness' is [only] a metaphor. Minds can be 'sick' only in the sense that jokes are 'sick' or economics are 'sick.' " The NYCLU got the fanciful idea that anybody who was restrained against his will was unjustly incarcerated, even if these people thought a duck is a radio transmitter and believed puddle-water had all the vitamins a human needs. So, they emptied out the mental hospitals which, to be honest, were really awful places and set the inmates loose on the streets, pumped up with a bunch of drugs that kept them safe and non-violent until the drugs wore off. The liberators figured that these unhinged people would have the good sense to seek treatment as outpatients.

So why were conservatives to blame too? Because they went along with the whole scheme to save money. Closing the mental hospitals was a revenue windfall, so they turned a blind eye.

The fact is, there are some legitimate government functions. Amitai Etzioni, in perhaps the only brief and interesting thing he's ever said, observed long ago that children do not fit the libertarian paradigm. Well, the mentally ill don't either. Government needs to make mature decisions about what to do with damaged people. Letting them die of frostbite in the name of liberty or Clintonian compassion is not a mature decision." END

In 1987, Reagan signed into law the Stewart B. McKinney act, a collection of programs that provided health care, shelter and transitional housing for homeless people, and saved many lives. Bill Clinton, whose heart (the liberals always assured us) was as big as all outdoors, assumed the presidency just four years after Reagan left it, and held onto it for eight years without perceptibly diminishing the number of the "homeless."

Neither of the Bush administrations made, or has made, any great strides towards reducing homelessness either. Sadly it's all mostly just lip service from both sides of the political fence. At least Reagan tried to do something to help.

The homeless continue to litter the streets of most of America's major cities to this day, and will likely continue to do so for many years to come.

cueball1950
04-08-2005, 12:28 AM
1 other story. every day when the weather is nice and i get to go to the pool hall in albany i get off the highway and at the end of the ramp there is always someone standing there asking for donations or what ever as they have no job or place to live and they are down on their luck somehow. but it is never their fault. on 1 particular day my old boss and myself were heading to the pool hall and there was a guy standing there with a sign that said he was both jobless and homeless and needed help. my boss pulls over and offers the man a job right there on the spot and told him he would help him also get an apartment. the man looked at my boss and said f**k off. i can make more money this way, so get lost.... Takes all kinds...........mike

CarolNYC
04-08-2005, 03:11 AM
Hey Marty,
First, I commend you and your girl for your kindness-and I wouldnt waste my energy warning people-as long as he's not a physical threat, chalk it up to experience-at least it was only a chicken sandwich and Im sure your dog appreciated it /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
04-08-2005, 03:14 AM
Steve,
You are just unfrigginbelievable-you never cease to amaze me-how strong is that?????
Carol~giving Steve a standing ovation! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Saint
04-08-2005, 07:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> 1 other story. every day when the weather is nice and i get to go to the pool hall in albany i get off the highway and at the end of the ramp there is always someone standing there asking for donations or what ever as they have no job or place to live and they are down on their luck somehow. but it is never their fault. on 1 particular day my old boss and myself were heading to the pool hall and there was a guy standing there with a sign that said he was both jobless and homeless and needed help. my boss pulls over and offers the man a job right there on the spot and told him he would help him also get an apartment. the man looked at my boss and said f**k off. i can make more money this way, so get lost.... Takes all kinds...........mike <hr /></blockquote>

I have a story very similiar to this. When I was in high school, I worked for a roofing company in Downtown Dallas. My Dad was a supervisor there. (unfortunately, I was originally just the guy that lugged buckets of hot tar up and down the ladders, becoming a carpenter later)

Anyway, roofing is a difficult job as I'm sure you can all guess, so we always needed day labor. In fact, there's a place in Fort Worth where we would stop and pick up people who would wait for day labor jobs and come out work the day and get paid cash at the end of the day.

So, anytime my Dad would be asked for money or see a guy with a sign "will work for food" he would hand the guy his business carad and say "I won't give you any money, but show up at X location tomorrow and you have a job as long as you want" He seriously did this dozens and dozens of times.

How many people showed up at the jobsite? None, not one. This is only one of many stories I have from working the Downtown areas of both Dallas and Denver.

9 Ball Girl
04-08-2005, 07:43 AM
Boy, do I remember Port Authority back then. The only difference with the wackos now is that they're no longer on the streets, they're your neighbors, policticians, bosses, etc. LOL It was just a damn mess back then. Giuliani did some good though. Times Square is like friggin' Disney World now! You would never EVER see families back then down there. Now it's such a touristy area.

SpiderMan
04-08-2005, 08:04 AM
Kalifornia was so far left it would have taken twenty years of Reagan to move them to center.

In the late '80s (well after Reagan governorship), there were advocates here in Dallas buying one-way bus tickets to California for bums. They were enticed to go because they could get so much more public assistance there (and the weather doesn't get so cold). I hear it stopped because Kalifornia screamed bloody murder /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

DickLeonard
04-08-2005, 09:07 AM
Homeless men up North are more appreciative, it is cold up here. Gives you a better attitude.####

Eric.
04-08-2005, 09:08 AM
Guiliani also got rid of all the strip clubs. Times Square was a juvenile delinquents paradise!

Eric &gt;ahh, the good ol days

SpiderMan
04-08-2005, 09:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JPB:</font><hr>
P.S. NEVER shake a street person's hand. And NEVER feed a good dog food you have touched with hands that have shaken that hand. Sanitizer is an OK first step, but you need a good handwashinng after that. <hr /></blockquote>

Good point. I never shake hands with morticians or proctologists ... no harm in adding panhandlers to that list /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

SpiderMan

DickLeonard
04-08-2005, 10:32 AM
I am sorry that I only read the first post before posting. Voodoo Daddy post hit home.####

9 Ball Girl
04-08-2005, 10:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> Guiliani also got rid of all the strip clubs. <hr /></blockquote>That bastard!

One
04-10-2005, 06:00 PM
He wanted money for alcohol so that he could get drunk and forget how bad his life is. He doesn't want some guy buying him a nice sandwich only once because then he would want more of it and his life would get even worse.

Deeman2
04-11-2005, 12:29 PM
It's terrible when you offer a kindness as you and others have and get it thrown back in your faces. I admit I'm a sucker for a lot of sad stories but try to be selective about just handing out money, what little I might have. It's still great, however, to hear of stories like the ones here and know some still care about their fellow man, sometimes more than that person cares about themselves.

My wife used to give money to every starving child she saw in India, Pakastan and Malasia. It was an impossible task and just got us nearly killed by crowds of beggars a few times. I started making her just give to the many orphanages there and it pretty much solved OUR problem. Most of us have no idea how badly some have it elsewhere and how good even our poorest have it here. Still, the efforts shared here are what make it worth getting up each day. I'm proud to know you folks....

Deeman

Wally_in_Cincy
04-11-2005, 12:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> ..Most of us have no idea how badly some have it elsewhere and how good even our poorest have it here. .... <hr /></blockquote>

Dee,

don't you know Dubya and Newt want the poor to starve? The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. Hell, pretty soon the poor will have to change their a/c temperature from 72 to 75. And forget about trading that vcr in for a dvd player. A travesty I tell you.

SpiderMan
04-11-2005, 01:08 PM
OK, Saturday afternoon I found myself in a bad area south of downtown Dallas, with about 2 hours to kill and my car in a no-in/out parking lot. I was hungry, and remembered a great gas station/taco stand about a mile or two away near the freeway.

The weather was nice, and I didn't want to have to pay twice for parking, so I got my gun out of the car and started walking. When I got to the station, I bought a large coke and soft taco, and started back across the lot.

A bum came from around the building and told me he was hungry. He offered to sell me his jacket /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif for $2. I looked around at all the liquor stores lining the street, and told him that if he was hungry he could have my lunch, but I wouldn't give him any money. He took me up on it.

I went back inside and got another taco. When I came back out, he was eating the first taco. I would have really felt stupid if I found it on the ground. The guy started to follow me so I stopped again. He asked if I was a truck driver /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif I said, no, I'm on foot like you, and walked away.

This adventure with the homeless turned out better than the last one. Still, I wonder what the truck-driver comment was about!??!?!

SpiderMan

catscradle
04-11-2005, 01:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> ...

Voodoo~~~typed too much but hadda show not all homeless are scumbags <hr /></blockquote>

That was some very, very cool behaviour on your part, you are to be commended. Many of us talk the talk, but you walked the walk. Yeah, I realize you didn't post it to get praise, but ...
Tap-tap-tap.

Voodoo Daddy
04-11-2005, 06:14 PM
Brother...anyone that knows me a little bit &lt;laughing to himself&gt; knows I dont care what people think of me or what they think I am. I tell the truth which normally keeps me at arms distance with most of the world. Guess I'm not such a prick afterall &lt;yeah I am&gt;!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA