PDA

View Full Version : league fee

sparky18
04-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Hi everyone, first time on here for me, im lookin for some opinions. I shoot on a inhouse 8 ball league at a small pool hall. We pay a 5$ league fee and a 3$ greens fee (the tables are all open) a few weeks back the oposing team didnt show and we won by forfit i had things to do so i went to pay the operator, i handed him 5 and said see ya next week. He told me i needed to pay the full 8 and the other team would be required to do the same. Does that sound messed up to anyone eles?

CarolNYC
04-08-2005, 02:56 AM
Hi there,
Welcome to the board-
No, thats not messed up-from my own league experience, all fees are usually paid in the beginning,then you get on tables and shoot practice for awhile before league starts, so, it seems right to me and Im sure the "no show" will have to pay up!
Good luck!
Carol

Scott Lee
04-08-2005, 05:20 AM
Carol...Where I live, the league players put in their own quarters (which is the same as your league charging 'greens fees'), so if a team does not show, the winning team only pays their league fee, NO greens fees. IMO, that should not be charged unless the teams play the scheduled match.
Every bar in the world has "free pool" sometimes...might be 'happy hour', or a certain night of the week. Practice before league should ALWAYS be free (it's not where I live).
jmo

Scott

CarolNYC
04-08-2005, 05:41 AM
Hi Scott,
How are you?
Scott, I dont understand "league fee" in BAR league-what is it for-is that a weekly fee in addition to greenfee? In this scenario, it is an in-house league
[ QUOTE ]
inhouse 8 ball league at a small pool hall <hr /></blockquote>
I've only played straight-pool, 9-ball league at CornerBilliards-

For Advanced Players!
Intermediate and advanced players have the opportunity
to compete against each other and to score the highest run!

Handicapped Competition
$35 Registration Fee
$10 Weekly Green Fee

Play on Monday Nights at 6:30pm and 8:30pm

If player didnt show up, I just stayed on the table for the league time-like, 6:30- 8:30,(or longer)so for 2 hours, for ten bucks, not too bad for NY,huh? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

MrLucky
04-08-2005, 06:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sparky18:</font><hr> Hi everyone, first time on here for me, im lookin for some opinions. I shoot on a inhouse 8 ball league at a small pool hall. We pay a 5$ league fee and a 3$ greens fee (the tables are all open) a few weeks back the oposing team didnt show and we won by forfit i had things to do so i went to pay the operator, i handed him 5 and said see ya next week. He told me i needed to pay the full 8 and the other team would be required to do the same. Does that sound messed up to anyone eles? <hr /></blockquote> <font color="red">Actually that is not the way its been done in my 23 years of APA here in Atlanta ! I shoot out of a Mr. Cues II with regulation tables we pay $8 for a completed match if a forfeit is involved it drops to $6.00 even though we had a practice table for a couple of hours prior to the match for free! </font color> though I might add that since yours is run by the bar owner (i assume from your post) then he or she would have the final say on how they run it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

SpiderMan
04-08-2005, 07:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Hi Scott,
How are you?
Scott, I dont understand "league fee" in BAR league-what is it for-is that a weekly fee in addition to greenfee? In this scenario, it is an in-house league
&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
inhouse 8 ball league at a small pool hall
/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Carol,

In the case of a for-profit league, the "league fee" represents the gross income stream for the league operator, and may or may not include greens fees.

In the Dallas area, I am aware of weekly "league fees" ranging from $7 to $15 per player.

In-house leagues are often run by for-profit operators.

SpiderMan

CarolNYC
04-08-2005, 08:33 AM
Hey Marty,
Hmmmmm, I see, thank you for clearing that up!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Carol

SecaucusFats
04-08-2005, 09:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sparky18:</font><hr> Hi everyone, first time on here for me, im lookin for some opinions. I shoot on a inhouse 8 ball league at a small pool hall. We pay a 5$ league fee and a 3$ greens fee (the tables are all open) a few weeks back the oposing team didnt show and we won by forfit i had things to do so i went to pay the operator, i handed him 5 and said see ya next week. He told me i needed to pay the full 8 and the other team would be required to do the same. Does that sound messed up to anyone eles? <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">I play on an APA team in an in-house league division (Tuesday nights), play is conducted on 9 foot Brunswick Gold Crown III's.

We have always payed the greens fees in case of forfeits, and IMO that's fair since the pool hall has reserved those tables for league play, and they are not available to regular patrons during league hours.

The greens fees plus food and beverage sales from the league nights represent an important part of the pool hall's revenues. If the other team forfeits ( something which almost never happens) my team plays challenge matches amongst ourselves. I know the owner isn't getting rich off the profit the hall generates and I don't mind paying the fees to help out. The way I look at it I want the pool hall to stay in business so that I can continue to enjoy playing there.

I guess I look at it as a "good karma" type thing. In exchange for the league players' loyalty the owner gives all APA members three free hours every day from 12:00 noon to 6:PM as long as each player spends $7 on food and or beverages (that's a hell of a break for a metro area hall). </font color>

Perk
04-08-2005, 09:07 AM
If it is an inhouse league, then I think the green fees are appropriate. To have a league, a bar/location is deadicating those tables every week for a certain fee. They should get paid regardless if the team shows up or not.

Why should the bar be the only one losing money when a scheduled team doesnt show up? Sounds like this bar retains greens fees, and just takes the loss on the business lost.

I would have just paid the 3.00, but I would have played all night with my teamates on it.

Of course, our bowling league is different. If we miss a week, we pay the portion of our weekly for the league, but dont pay the portion to the bowling alley for lane time. Guess it really depends on which side your on.

MrLucky
04-08-2005, 09:15 AM
So reading other APA leaguers post here!, I am so happy to have Woody as our league operator since he doesn't charge the full fee for forfeits!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif though the points made about pool room profits are indeed valid! I know Richard does not make a fortune off of a $2 table fee when we control 10-12 tables from 4- 6 or more hours! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif LOL!

sparky18
04-08-2005, 09:54 AM
i see your point Secaucas, he does open the table up for a free hour before leagues start but theres 5 tables and 24 players with one of those tables available for rental at all times. you might be able to get get a game or 2 in before the start. with 3 player teams and each player only playing 3 league games hes making 2$ for every league game played theres not that much buisness on a tues night and he wouldnt be renting all those tables anyway.

sparky18
04-08-2005, 09:56 AM
the league fee re:5$ is for trophys and winnings for the top teams/shooters and the end of the leauge

MrLucky
04-08-2005, 09:56 AM
but the point remains that the bar is relying on the food and drinks that would have been sold to make it profitable! since there was no match many like yourself will leave early and buy little to nothing ! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

sparky18
04-08-2005, 10:00 AM
yeah, i guess you are right. The guy has jsut been tickin me off latley and im ventin i guess. thank you all for the replies