PDA

View Full Version : Varner at Fat Cats last night

jjinfla
06-05-2002, 06:19 AM
I went to Fat Cats last night to play in their tuesday night tournament and Varner came in. Looked terrible in his baggy clothes and long drawn face. Played the owner some money games. Danny (the owner) plays a good game but is not in Varner's league so to me it was just robbery without a gun. But that's their business. Only one person was interested in watching, the rest could care less. The tourney they hold there is brutal. The pockets are only 4.5". And their handicap system is tough. I'm a 6 and had to play a 3 which I figured I would have to give the 6 ball. Nope. I had to spot 3 balls, plus the 9. I had to give the last 4 balls. There ain't nobody I can beat giving the last 4 balls. But it was a challange, and a lot more fun than wasting my time watching Varner. Will have to try it again in a few weeks. Jake

phil in sofla
06-05-2002, 04:05 PM
Is that the Fat Cats on old SR 7, a little north of Orlando, in Apopka, or whatever that little town is?

I played in a tournament up there a couple of months back with some buds (Kato was there), and I didn't notice that the pockets were that tight. Of course, I mainly play on tight pocket tables, so that could be a relative term.

Are the 8 footers on the other side also that tight, or just the 9 footers?

TomBrooklyn
06-05-2002, 11:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: jjinfla:</font><hr> ...their handicap system is tough. a 6 playing a 3 had to spot 3 balls, plus the 9, the last 4 balls. <hr></blockquote>That sounds very tough Jake. Would a 'nine' have to give the same to a 'six'? What would a 'nine' have to give to the 'three'? Do they go into the plus numbers for those better than a 'nine'? If so, what would they have to give the 'three'?

jjinfla
06-06-2002, 07:07 AM
It's in Mt Dora not far from Apopka. The 8 footers look regular size. Have only played on the 9 footers once and usually go there to watch their 1st saturday tournaments. I get to see a lot of the great players. Jake

jjinfla
06-06-2002, 07:12 AM
Hi Tom,

One guy said, "don't complain, I have to give her 7 balls".

Like I said, it's brutal. There's a couple 9's that I know play there. I'll have to go back and hope I get to play the 9's. They play a lot of safety's. I guess it helps their game by putting a lot of pressure on them. And they don't seem to mind. Jake