PDA

View Full Version : NY YANKEES-baseball question?

CarolNYC
04-08-2005, 07:28 AM
I know its sad, I dont follow baseball,just wanted to know if anyone has ever heard of a player named Rich Monteleone of the Yankees?
My daughter works at a club and this guy,Rich,came in,gave her an "opening day ball" signed by him!
She wants to know if its a good thing-like,collectible? /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Thanks!
Carol

9 Ball Girl
04-08-2005, 07:36 AM
He was with the Yanks, I believe from what I can remember between the years of 90-93. I think he retired in 96 with the Angels. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I think he's the bullpen coach for the Yanks now?

I dunno if his ball will be a collectable. Maybe in several years?

CarolNYC
04-08-2005, 08:30 AM
Thanks Wendy.
I'll tell her-after he gave it to her, he told her she can sell it on ebay for a few hundred,something with being an "opening day ball" or something like that-She went to get a glass case for it-I told her keep it as a momento-Im not too hot on selling a gift,ya know? A gift is a gift /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Oh, by the way, whats the job of bullpen coach? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
04-08-2005, 08:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Oh, by the way, whats the job of bullpen coach? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>
That's simple. They keep all of the bulls in the pen. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
04-08-2005, 09:22 AM
wanna buy one of his hats? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://www.steinersports.com/richmonteleone.html

Wally_in_Cincy
04-08-2005, 09:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> ..., he told her she can sell it on ebay for a few hundred,something with being an "opening day ball" or something like that-<hr /></blockquote>

Nice momento but I don't think it's worth a few hundred. Maybe she can get Jeter to sign it /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

landshark77
04-08-2005, 10:34 AM
IMO, anything that has to do with the Yanks is worthless! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Eric.
04-08-2005, 10:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark77:</font><hr> IMO, anything that has to do with the Yanks is worthless! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Aaah, you're just jealous. Quit playa hating already! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Eric

9 Ball Girl
04-08-2005, 10:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Oh, by the way, whats the job of bullpen coach? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif<hr /></blockquote>The bullpen is where the pitchers warm up during a game. The coach oversees the pitchers i.e. teach them a new pitch, help them out if they're struggling, assesses new talent...etc.

CarolNYC
04-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Ahhhh, so he is the pitching coach-okay!
Thanks Wendy!
Carol~glad Wendy knows her sports!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
04-08-2005, 01:06 PM
Hi Wally,
[ QUOTE ]
it's worth a few hundred <hr /></blockquote>
Didnt think so either!
From what she was telling me, I could see he was more or less trying to impress her,being the owners guest and not what,blah,blah,blah!
"Damn Yankees" ha ha ha!
Carol~doesnt want a hat,either /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif-Now Jeter is a whole other story,hmmmmmmmmmm....................!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
04-08-2005, 01:09 PM
If the bullpen is where the bulls are kept,is that where all the bulls$$t happens? LMAO!

Too funny,Rich!
Carol

cueball1950
04-08-2005, 05:07 PM
Now Carol..what would you do with a Jeter?????/......mike

Vapros
04-08-2005, 05:29 PM
No, the bullpen coach is not the pitching coach. He keeps up with the relief pitchers during a game, and is called upon by the manager sometimes to report on the status of a pitcher who might be sent into the game, since the bullpen is not near the dugout. He might also help with a starting pitcher who is working out in the bullpen for a start in another game or rehabbing from an injury.
The pitching coach is another guy who lives in the dugout with the manager and tries to explain why the pitcher in the game is getting pushed around.

CarolNYC
04-09-2005, 03:11 AM
Gotcha! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
He's like the pitching MANAGER , keeping track of the pitchers status,like,whether they're pitching up to par! He doesnt teach them,cause they already know how to pitch,he more less,trains them to do better if their struggling,right?

CarolNYC
04-09-2005, 03:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what would you do with a Jeter <hr /></blockquote>

A "Derek" Jeter? Probably just say "how ya doing?" /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
As a matter of fact, this same daughter has pictures of him when he was at a Manhatten club, where her boyfriend is a bouncer-its on W.47th,I think, and its called the "Chinaclub"its kinda like a ritzy,Manhatten nightlife club!
Now,if theres ANYOTHER type of Jeter your interested in,please pm me-LMAO! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
love ya Mike!

Cueless Joey
04-09-2005, 01:04 PM
I remember Rich Monteleone.
He first came up with the Angels.
I even remember the first game he came in as a reliever for the Angels against the Orioles.
He walked the bases loaded. He then strikes out Ripken and then gets a double-play. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
He pitched for the Yanks after that and as Wendy said, he's their bullpen coach now.
Joey~ Does not think bullpen catcher is such a hot job~

CarolNYC
04-09-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does not think bullpen catcher is such a hot job~ <hr /></blockquote>
Sorry Joey, but I dont even know what the "bullpen catcher" is,but, if you think its not a hot job, I'll take your word for it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Vapros
04-09-2005, 09:49 PM
Well, you might say the bullpen coach is the manager of the relief pitchers, but probably not the starters. The pitching coach has a better job, and makes more money and gets to sit in the shade. Maybe the bullpen coach could be called his assistant.

Kato
04-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Sorry Carol. The Bullpen coach and the Pitching coach are entirely different. The pitching coach hangs out in the dugout with the manager. He's usually the first guy on the phone to the bullpen coach. He's usually also the first guy to walk out for mound conferences. Most managers take pitchers out of the game but I believe Tommy Lasorda used to let his pitching coach take out the pitcher. Name escapes me though, odd.

Kato~~~shoulda read Vapros post. Mine's pretty much the same as his.

Cueless Joey
04-11-2005, 11:04 PM
Amalfatano?

CarolNYC
04-12-2005, 02:38 AM
Hiya RJ,
Good to hear from you-I think I'll just have to watch baseball "at SOME time" ha ha ha-and I dont think you'd wanna watch it with me (who's he,whats that,what does he do,what does that mean) LMAO! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Like a kid in a car "Are we there YET?"
Hey,June? Whats up?????
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif