PDA

View Full Version : Mini-tourney in the Philippines.

Cueless Joey
06-05-2002, 12:13 PM
http://azbilliards.com/2000storya.cfm?storynum=209
They are holding the tournament at the Araneta Coliseum. Folks, the same COLISEUM where the held the Thrilla in Manila. Ali vs. Frazier back in '75. Expect the place to be full anytime Efren plays. Now, if only pool can draw the same way everywhere, it'd make pool a major sport.

06-05-2002, 02:06 PM
I hope Deuel wins! I think he is the best right now.

MikeM
06-05-2002, 03:27 PM
I like Corey's game too. But don't you think he choked against the awesome Tony Robles in Vegas???

;>)

MM

PoolChick02
06-05-2002, 05:51 PM
I hope he wins too. Good Luck Corey!

Scott Lee
06-05-2002, 06:01 PM
Joey...As you well know, Efren is a national hero in your country! Add to that, he has the humility and low key personality that make him the class act that he is. IF the American pros ever decide to follow his shining example (and obviously it has little to do with whether you gamble or not, as Efren plays the same for $$$ as he does in tournaments), you may see pool elevated to the status it enjoys in the Phillipines, as well as some other countries in the far east! JMO

Scott Lee

06-05-2002, 08:04 PM
From your mouth to God's ears Scott!

Cueless Joey
06-05-2002, 08:58 PM
Very true Scott. Only if we had 10 Efrens and Allisons.

bigalerickson
06-06-2002, 12:47 AM
enjoys lorri's posts the most.
she makes me laugh.

06-06-2002, 02:22 PM
EFREN ‘BATA’ Reyes saved the Philippine team from total annihilation last night when he scored a 7-4 victory over Finnish star Mika Immonen at the start of the Motoline World 9-Ball Challenge at the Araneta Coliseum.

Reyes, who took a 6-1 lead in the race to 7 encounter, saw his lead narrowed down as the Finn started to find his range. But the Filipino ace was not to be denied.

He finished off his rival in the 11th game to score the Philippines’ only victory in opener.

Three other Filipinos were wiped out in the early matches.

Dennis Orcullo, Antonio ‘Nickoy’ Lining and the fancied Francisco ‘Django’ Bustamante followed each other out of the competition area with bowed heads, humbled by their foreign opponents.

Orcullo got whacked by Japan’s No. 1 player Kunihiko Takahashi, 7-3; Lining was outclassed by 2002 U.S. Open champion Corey Deuel, 7-2; and Bustamante fell to Earl Strickland, the 5-time World and 3-time U.S. Open champion, 7-4.

Touted as the “rising star” from Surigao del Sur, Orcullo was dimmed swifly by Takahashi’s mastery around the table, with the young Japanese breaking away easily from a 2-all tie and never getting threatened.

The promise of a better game with the arrival of Lining, who had beaten Deuel twice before, quickly soured.

From 2-2, Deuel, who originated the “soft break” method, claimed the next five racks, getting a key break in the sixth rack when Lining missed the No. 4, eliciting a moan from the crowd.

Deuel wrapped up the frame with an 8-9 combination.

In the 7th, Deuel, who bears a resemblance to Hollywood actor Matt Damon, unleashed a great mace shot on the 3 ball and then watched Lining collapse on the next rack, scratching the No. 1 and allowing the 24-year-old American to clean up the table.

“We both made mistakes in the beginning,” said Deuel. “On this table one has to break harder.”

Lining, the 2001 SEA Games 9-Ball gold medalist, rued his tentative shotmaking.

“Ang sama ng laro ko,” he said. “Puro bitin ang bola ko.”
("I had a poor game,". "Evverything came up short")

Bustamante echoed Lining’s woes.

“Mahirap talaga pag opening game. Pag nalamangan ka, sira ka na,” he said.
("It is really difficult when it is the opening game. When you get behind, you're done".)

From a 2-2 deadlock, Stickland, scowling and crouching with every shot, moved ahead, 5-2. Bustamante battled back by taking the next two racks, the eighth after Strickland missed the No. 6 on the side and the ninth via a clean-up.

But Strickland was not to be denied.

He won the 10th rack with an 8-9 combination. And in the 11th, after Bustamante had gone for a safety, Strickland courageously slithered the cue ball into play for a banked shot that pocked the 2-ball at the corner, setting up the rest of the table.

“I’ve been getting into shape and I’m playing the best game in my life,” said Strickland. “I want to beat the best player in this tournament and it was hard beating Bustamante.”

Today’s matches pit Lining with Takahashi a 4, Orcullo with Deuel at 5, Bustamante with Immonen at 6 and Reyes with Strickland at 7 p.m.

The elimination round where breaking is done alternately is a race-to-7 affair with the Filipinos each getting a shot at the foreign players.

06-06-2002, 09:11 PM
/ccboard/images/icons/blush.gif Oh Al, you charmer you! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

06-06-2002, 09:12 PM
chill brother it's only the first day