PDA

View Full Version : Saw some nice 1 hole this afternoon

Cane
04-08-2005, 10:21 PM
Well, I had to leave my little one horse town and go to Tulsa today. While there, it dawned on me that the Midwest 9-Ball Tour was having an event in Tulsa, so I stopped by Billiard Palace to see who was playing the One Pocket tournament (held yesterday and today). I wish I had been able to stay for the entire tournament, but I had a friend with me that was on a schedule. In any case, I did get to see one really great match between Gabe Owen and Andy Fried**** can't say it, can't spell it! Anyways, Gabe was in rare form. He controlled the table like a champion should. I talked to him for a brief moment after his match and he was his normal polite self.

I did confirm one rumor I'd heard. In two weeks, in Fayetteville, Arkansas, Gabe will be playing a R-11 9-Ball exibition against JJ. He told me today that he'll also be playing in the 9-Ball tournament on Sat and Sunday. Should be great if any of you are close enough to Fayetteville to attend. If you want details, just PM me and I'll send what I know.

Later,
Bob

randyg
04-09-2005, 04:52 AM
Bob: I think Tulsa has the largest concentration of great poolplayers per capita than any city I have ever visited. I know Jim McDermott has done a terrific job with the kids and the game in that area.

"Been busted in Tulsa", should make a good CW song....SPF-randyg

SPetty
04-09-2005, 06:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> I talked to (Gabe) for a brief moment after his match and he was his normal polite self.<hr /></blockquote>Hey Cane, I hope you didn't forget that it's your task to buddy up with Gabe and get him to the CCB Chili CookOff! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif (I love Gabe... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif )

ceebee
04-09-2005, 08:12 AM
I was plum tuckered out at midnite, so I had to leave. James Walden (loser's side winner) had beaten Gabe Owens the first set. Both had one game &amp; the match was Hill-Hill.
If someone doesn't post the win, I will later or tomorrow.

SPetty
04-09-2005, 12:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> James Walden (loser's side winner) had beaten Gabe Owens the first set. <hr /></blockquote>Hey ceebee, I hope you didn't forget that it's your task to buddy up with Gabe and get him to the CCB Chili CookOff! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif (I love Gabe... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif )
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
04-09-2005, 01:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> I love Gabe...
<hr /></blockquote>

You mean you http://www.columbia.edu/~sss31/Graphics/Heart.gif Gabe?

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cane
04-09-2005, 06:22 PM
ceebee. I looked for you at the Palace, but couldn't find you anywhere. We left maybe 15 minutes after Gabe beat Andy Freidhofer. Was hoping to run onto you so we could go see that guy you told me about at Petty Point, but had a friend with me that was only a week out of a month long stay in the hospital and he was pretty beat down, so we headed back. I may be there tomorrow sometime. If not, then well, its both a bad thing and a good thing... bad because I want to get together and visit with you and some others, good because that means I'll still be in the tourney I'm playing in this weekend. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Later,
Bob

SPetty
04-09-2005, 06:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> You mean you http://www.columbia.edu/~sss31/Graphics/Heart.gif Gabe?<hr /></blockquote>
http://www.pettypoint.com/poolpics/IHeartGabe.gif
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ceebee
04-10-2005, 08:05 AM
Gabe Owens won the One-Pocket Tournament. James Walden was second &amp; Andy Freedhoffen (sp?) was third. It was some great playing.

Can't understand the Pool Rooms not capturing these Matches on Video for resale...???

Cane
04-10-2005, 08:22 AM
ceebee, Thanks for the update. I'm glad Gabe won it, but I sure would have liked to have been there to see the final between him and James Walden. But... garage sale and tournament kept me close to home! Any chance you're going to the Midwest 9-Ball event in Fayetteville, AR on the 23rd and 24th, AND does Jim McDermott own the new "Billiard Palace" in Fayetteville? Can't find anyone who knows and couldn't find Jim on Friday to ask him.

Spetty, Gabe and I are not friends... he recognizes my limp and always politely talks to me. I'm not really even sure if he knows my name! LOL In any case, he's accepting challenges on the 22nd after his match with Jeremy, so I'll get in line and mention food at Petty Point... I'm sure that will get his attention!

Later,
Bob

Cane
04-10-2005, 08:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> Bob: I think Tulsa has the largest concentration of great poolplayers per capita than any city I have ever visited. I know Jim McDermott has done a terrific job with the kids and the game in that area.

"Been busted in Tulsa", should make a good CW song....SPF-randyg <hr /></blockquote>

Randy, You're absolutely right. There are MANY players that either live in Tulsa or play there on a regular basis that are world class, whether it's Tour Players or hard core gamblers. Wasn't it Willie Mosconi who said "When you think you're good, go to Tulsa...". Regulars at the Palace... Gabe Owens, David Matlock, Mike Betts, Tyler Staun &amp; little brother David... Nothing against Gabe, but Jim told me last year, right after the US Open, that he was happy for Gabe but that he had several young players at the Palace that could play heads up with Gabe any day of the week... kinda scary, ain't it! Hey, it's a good place for a gambler to go if he HATES HIS MONEY!!!

You're also right about Jim. He's a great guy and owns THE hot spot in Oklahoma for any game of pool, be it pocket billiards, Snooker, 3C, whatever.

Later,
Bob

SPetty
04-10-2005, 07:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> SPetty, ... I'll get in line and mention food at PettyPoint... I'm sure that will get his attention!<hr /></blockquote>Can't ask for more than that! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif