PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Las Vegas want a free pool lesson?

1Time
04-08-2005, 11:25 PM
I'm only available to give free lessons Friday or Saturday night in Las Vegas from 11:30pm for up to two hours. Any level of player is welcome. Must be at least 18 with valid ID (curfew law).

I've been playing pool for 25+ years. My favorite thing to do is run a 9-ball rack. I'm looking forward to giving free lessons pretty much just for the fun of it. No matter what your favorite game is, chances are you'll benefit from even just one short lesson.

Play for only a few minutes or as long as you like; just pay for your time on the table. I prefer playing at the Cue Club, but anywhere you like in town is fine. Post for questions and discussion, or PM me if interested.

1Time

randyg
04-09-2005, 04:46 AM
What is the date of the Sat. night you are available. There are two of us interested....SPF-randyg

Fred Agnir
04-09-2005, 09:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> I'm only available to give free lessons Friday or Saturday night in Las Vegas from 11:30pm for up to two hours. Any level of player is welcome. <hr /></blockquote> Maybe I'm missing something. What dates? What are you teaching?

Fred

Popcorn
04-09-2005, 09:51 AM
I got the impression he lives there and does it when ever someone wants to get together. I doubt you are seriously looking to take a lesson.

randyg
04-09-2005, 10:37 AM
POPCORN: You take all the fun out of it.....SPF-randyg

1Time
04-09-2005, 10:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> What is the date of the Sat. night you are available. There are two of us interested....SPF-randyg <hr /></blockquote>

Good question... currently I'm available tonight, April 9th, and any subsequent Friday or Saturday.

Popcorn
04-09-2005, 10:54 AM
I think the guy is being sincere. It would be nice if pool rooms have someone who can help people out without trying to exploit or rip them off for a change. You don't have to be a great teacher or even a great player to get someone off on the right foot and help them out. Most people aren't looking the be champions, they just want to get a little better and have some fun playing the game. He sounds like a guy who just wants to help out. I would give him the benefit of the doubt without making fun of him as was implied by your post. As someone who calls themselves a teacher, I found your post childish and unprofessional. Sorry if I am being blunt, it would be nice if there were more like him.

1Time
04-09-2005, 11:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> I'm only available to give free lessons Friday or Saturday night in Las Vegas from 11:30pm for up to two hours. Any level of player is welcome. <hr /></blockquote> Maybe I'm missing something. What dates? What are you teaching?

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for asking, Fred. I'm offering free pool lessons any Friday or Saturday night in Las Vegas from 11:30pm for up to 2 hours.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-09-2005, 11:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr>

...As someone who calls themselves a teacher, I found your post childish and unprofessional. ...<hr /></blockquote>

not to mention condescending /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

keep tellin' it like it is mr. popcorn /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Scott Lee
04-09-2005, 05:16 PM
Popcorn...You're out of line accusing Randyg of being condescending. Unlike you, the best teachers, continually seek out higher education. I know for a fact that Randy takes lessons from other "instructors" (as well as teaching them), if for no other reason than to see what they know, or how they teach, so as to add things to the way Cue Tech teaches. For example, several of the Cue Tech instructors took a two-hour lesson from me, having me demonstrate MY techniques. Then we discussed it. I changed a few things that I was doing, and they took some of what I was doing, and added to their curriculum. It's all about give and take. I'm not saying that Randy wasn't 'tongue-in-cheek', but I do know that he (like me) tries to learn from every possible source, picking and choosing what is beneficial, and what isn't. Since he IS in Las Vegas at the trade show, it is entirely possible that he might go visit with this gentleman.

Scott Lee

Popcorn
04-09-2005, 06:27 PM
I didn't use the word condescending, I said unprofessional.
I thought it was an obvious attempt to belittle a person who is trying to do something positive by pretending to be a student. This was made clear by his response to me. He may be everything you say and I don't doubt it, that has no bearing on the tone of his post.

randyg
04-09-2005, 07:16 PM
POPCORN: Carl (CUE-TECH Instructor) and myself have already made plans to meet with this person.

I consider myself a student of the game first. How can One teach and not learn. It's certainly not below me to learn from others nor is it unprofessional. Once again, your attitude and physic judgement takes all the fun away. Nevertheless we are still going to have our two hours of enjoyment with this teacher of the game.

Popcorn, lighten up, this is life, have fun......SPF-randyg

Popcorn
04-09-2005, 07:29 PM
The key board can't reflect what is in the voice. It is at best a poor way to communicate and if I misjudged your meaning I apologize, I know you are sincere in your profession.

Qtec
04-09-2005, 10:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> I'm only available to give free lessons Friday or Saturday night in Las Vegas from 11:30pm for up to two hours. Any level of player is welcome. <hr /></blockquote> Maybe I'm missing something. What dates? What are you teaching?

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Maybe I can help you out here Fred. After hours of research, I found this.

"Any level of player ."
This could mean a game or a sport.
"I've been playing pool for 25+ years."
Now we are getting somewhere. I think it could be something to do with pool!
"just pay for your time on the table. I prefer playing at the Cue Club, "

I,m pretty sure its got something to do with pool.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Q

randyg
04-10-2005, 04:53 AM
POPCORN: I have the rare ability to step back and sometimes just laugh at myself. Yes, being a Master Instructor is serious and yes, life is way to short not to have fun.

I bet we could become the best of friends, matter of fact, sounds like we have taken the first couple of steps.
Have a great day.....SPF-randyg

Barbara
04-10-2005, 07:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I didn't use the word condescending, I said unprofessional. <hr /></blockquote>

No, you initially wrote "condescending". I know, I read it. You edited your post afterwards and changed it to "unprofessional".

Barbara

Popcorn
04-10-2005, 07:45 AM
Read Wally_in_cincy's post and even you may be able to figure out you don't know what you are talking about.

Barbara
04-10-2005, 07:51 AM
You're right, my bad.

Barbara

littleCajun
04-10-2005, 10:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> POPCORN: Carl (CUE-TECH Instructor) and myself have already made plans to meet with this person.

I consider myself a student of the game first. How can One teach and not learn. It's certainly not below me to learn from others nor is it unprofessional. Once again, your attitude and physic judgement takes all the fun away. Nevertheless we are still going to have our two hours of enjoyment with this teacher of the game.

Popcorn, lighten up, this is life, have fun......SPF-randyg <hr /></blockquote>

Wally_in_Cincy
04-11-2005, 05:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Popcorn...You're out of line accusing Randyg of being condescending. <hr /></blockquote>

It was me. And I stand by it. I can't believe randyg was actually serious after reading this.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> POPCORN: You take all the fun out of it.....SPF-randyg <hr /></blockquote>

Now he changed his tune and is actually going to meet with the guy.

I'm done. I'm just a crappy league player from Ohio anyway.

caedos
04-11-2005, 07:23 AM
When available, I will visit pretty much any instructor at least one time. If I only get one method or piece of info, it was worth my time. RandyG is the same way. That is what we do, teach first and play second. As for being able to read 'tone' in a post of such brevity, it's tough to do sometimes even when you really know the person you are dealing with.

example: Change the emphasized word one at a time in the following sentence - "I didn't say he kicked his dog." Who really said, showed, video taped, wrote, kicked, shot, petted, his, her, the neighbor's, cat, ferret, or dog? There's not enough information the sentence to say.

That's why I try not to dive into very many of these threads. I'm very easy going as a person, but to read my writings or listen to some of my conversations you might not get that impression. I am often very straightforward in my communication which sometimes seems to translate to unfun, serious, and judgemental. I'm very analytical (engineering in the family), and Randy is creative and social in his dealings with the world. Of course he's often tongue-in-cheek and having fun, but it's not to be condescending. Especially in this case. To be given someone's time for free isn't a thing RandyG would belittle on his worst day. I'm sorry if you believe it to be otherwise.

c
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SpiderMan
04-11-2005, 12:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> I'm only available to give free lessons Friday or Saturday night in Las Vegas from 11:30pm for up to two hours. Any level of player is welcome. <hr /></blockquote> Maybe I'm missing something. What dates? What are you teaching?

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for asking, Fred. I'm offering free pool lessons any Friday or Saturday night in Las Vegas from 11:30pm for up to 2 hours. <hr /></blockquote>
OK, I'm curious (and perhaps cynical). Do you have some particular qualifications or abilities such that Fred should pay your table time rather than you pay his?

SpiderMan

1Time
04-11-2005, 07:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>OK, I'm curious (and perhaps cynical). Do you have some particular qualifications or abilities such that Fred should pay your table time rather than you pay his?<hr /></blockquote>

To the contrary, I only ask that you pay for your own time on the table. Other than that the lessons are free.

griffith_d
04-11-2005, 08:07 PM
We can all learn something from most people, even our children, even someone that is not as good of a player as we are. But, sometimes it is not what we teach, it is how we teach. Take 3 people all teaching the same thing, but you might only learn it from one person because you are on the same "page" as that person.

So if someone wants to give free lessons, I think that is a good thing. A lot of people can play, not a lot of us can teach or are even willing to teach. I have thought about giving a few lessons myself for free.

We might teach ourselves something by giving instruction.

Griff

Cane
04-11-2005, 10:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote griffith_d:</font><hr> We can all learn something from most people, &lt;snip&gt; We might teach ourselves something by giving instruction.
<hr /></blockquote>

Griff, More true words were never written. Every time I give a class, a lesson or a seminar, I learn something. It may be something about pool, or about teaching, or maybe a shot I've never seen before (learned one in Dallas last weekend assisting RandyG and JerryP teach an expert class), but I ALWAYS learn something. Teaching is the second best thing that ever happened to my game... best thing? LEARNING how to teach (thanks, Randy).

Later,
Bob

randyg
04-12-2005, 05:34 AM
No Doubt! Bob's right. According to the National Training Laboratories in Bethel, Maine; "The Average Learning Retention Rate is at about 90% when you teach others".

That's one of the reasons why Pool School is structured like it is......SPF-randyg

Vagabond
04-12-2005, 06:22 AM
Hi 1time,
I think I know who u are.I am surprised that u even have access to a computer.We met few days ago in cue club.Good Luck.GOD Bless you.
Vagabond
/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

1Time
04-12-2005, 07:28 AM
Hi Vagabond,
Thanks for the greeting. I'm pretty sure you're thinking of someone else. I read a few of your posts and you don't sound at all like the guy I met the other night; we played 9-ball for about an hour on table 2 at about 12:30am Sunday morning. Of course if you frequent the Cue Club, you may very well have seen me playing on a 4.5' x 9' table.

SpiderMan
04-12-2005, 08:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>OK, I'm curious (and perhaps cynical). Do you have some particular qualifications or abilities such that Fred should pay your table time rather than you pay his?<hr /></blockquote>

To the contrary, I only ask that you pay for your own time on the table. Other than that the lessons are free.
<hr /></blockquote>

Sounds like your motives are pure. I'm sure you'll get lots of takers. I'll drop you a line myself if I'm in the area. I'm always looking for someone to shoot with when I travel.

SpiderMan

Popcorn
04-12-2005, 08:25 AM
Are you a friend of Normans?

1Time
04-12-2005, 01:29 PM
Thanks SpiderMan. I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

1Time
04-12-2005, 01:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Are you a friend of Normans? <hr /></blockquote>

No, but I recall learning much from watching him shoot about 15 years ago at Crystal Palace Billiards.

Vagabond
04-12-2005, 08:03 PM
Hi 1Time,
Then I am totally failed in my guessing game.I never played on table 2 and do not care for that table.I prefer either 7 or 8 when they ar available.Cheers
vagabond

Fran Crimi
04-14-2005, 06:26 AM
Hi Griff,

I went to the Cue Club one night during the Trade Show with a friend and we decided to play a little. I grabbed a house cue and started hitting some balls, trying to adjust to the warp in the cue when some guy called out to me out of the blue that he could tell me what I'm doing wrong and would I like him to show me. I said sure. As he was explaining all the things wrong with my stance, I thought, geez, this guy could destroy my students' games in about 5 minutes. Yet, it's possible that somewhere along the line he very well could have had a gem to share, which is why I'm always open to that kind of thing.

I think that knowing what to keep and what to throw away is the hard part in these types of situations. I wouldn't recommend it for players who haven't taken a whole lot of time to study the game. No one really knows all the answers, but I think the more experienced players have a better inkling about what might be interesting to try vs. what might set you back a few years.

Fran

onepocketchump
04-14-2005, 12:58 PM
May I remind everyone that the great Efren Reyes, when asked how he knows all the fantastic shots he does, replied that he learned them by watching amateurs make unintentional shots.

You can learn from anyone. For example; if you play me you will learn what NOT to do. :-)

John

Rip
04-14-2005, 03:45 PM
I swear I'm not the guy Fran is describing! I swear...I'm not...really...tell em' Fran...
Regards,
Rip~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Hi Griff,

I went to the Cue Club one night during the Trade Show with a friend and we decided to play a little. I grabbed a house cue and started hitting some balls, trying to adjust to the warp in the cue when some guy called out to me out of the blue that he could tell me what I'm doing wrong and would I like him to show me.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Fran Crimi
04-15-2005, 07:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rip:</font><hr> I swear I'm not the guy Fran is describing! I swear...I'm not...really...tell em' Fran...
Regards,
Rip~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OK, I'll spill...yeah, Rip was the guy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nah...you're much more DASHING than this guy was, Rip. You could give him the 6 and out in DASHING. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Glad to see you're still around the CCB.

Fran

Barbara
04-15-2005, 07:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>Nah...you're much more DASHING than this guy was, Rip. You could give him the 6 and out in DASHING. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

And his hair was PERFECT... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara

chrisfvideo2
04-15-2005, 11:22 AM
I'll be in LV for Friday and Saturday nights April 22 and 23. I'd love some help with my game. I'm new at this chatty stuff. What is "PM me" and how do I do it?

Chris

PQQLK9
04-15-2005, 11:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote chrisfvideo2:</font><hr> I'll be in LV for Friday and Saturday nights April 22 and 23. I'd love some help with my game. I'm new at this chatty stuff. What is "PM me" and how do I do it?

Chris <hr /></blockquote>

PM = Private Message

Click on My Home and send a PM to the user you desire. Make sure your PM option is set to receive PM's so you can receive an answer.

HTH

Wally_in_Cincy
04-15-2005, 12:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> Click on My Home and send a PM to the user you desire. <hr /></blockquote>

you can also click on the users name and when their profile page comes up click on "send a private message"

1Time
04-15-2005, 12:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote chrisfvideo2:</font><hr> I'll be in LV for Friday and Saturday nights April 22 and 23. I'd love some help with my game. <hr /></blockquote>

You're welcome to it. I'm free either night. Please PM me to confirm a date, time, and location. Thanks

Vagabond
04-17-2005, 06:11 AM
Hi Fran,
I know the guy you are playing with on table 8 in cue club 10 days ago.I vaguely remember,years ago when I used to be a 9ball player, I gave that guy orange crush and crushed him.I do not think it was in my dream.cheers
vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran Crimi
04-17-2005, 07:15 AM
You're a mystery, Vagabond. You seem to be everywhere. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif