PDA

View Full Version : KENO

Billy
04-09-2005, 04:30 PM
many years ago I was in a small town in Virginia and came across this game called Keno.the game (using a full rack of 15 balls) was played on a pool table but had this large wood board with many numbered holes evenly distributed across the board.one of the holes was a double keno and two other holes were single keno,the remaining holes(guessing at 40 or 50) were numbered 1 thru 16.it appeared to be a very lucky and unskilled game but let me tell you there was a ton of action with many obviously different levels of players participating.anyone ever see this game or know anything of Keno?it seemed to be used mainly for gambling purposes because of the large luck factor?any keno being played in your neck of the woods?just curious

jmo

RailbirdJAM
04-10-2005, 02:31 AM
I've seen the Keno board in older pool rooms, mainly down South.

A couple of years ago at the U.S. Open, many players left Q-Masters and went to the "other" room that used to be the MAIN pool room in Norfolk (can't remember its name) to play Keno. There was Tony Watson, J-Paul from Detroit, and several others standing in line to take a shot at rolling the ball.

There is one school of thought that there is a technique to rolling the ball, the way it hits the back rail with spin, et cetera. It always looked like a "luck" game to me.

There used to be a local named Mickey D. in my area who loved Keno, and he'd gamble it up pretty good, $100 and $200 a roll. One day he decided to roll the ball against another local, Hodji, who had the reputation of a "high-roller" [pun intended]. Another fellow decided to bet on the side against Mickey, and Mickey took all the side action. At the end of the session, Mickey D. lost $13,000 to Hodji and $4,000 on the side bets.

I'd guess that some older pool rooms may still have a Keno board, maybe tucked away in a back closet, though I do not believe this game is as prevalent as it was 20 years or so ago. It is a game which is played on a pool table, but you don't have to be a good pool shooter to participate, since you're only rolling a ball sans a pool cue.

RailbirdJAM

LJC_Cues
04-10-2005, 03:50 AM
I live in woodbrige Va and we have 2 keno boards at gators biliards. The ones there are made of a plastic and can be hard to stick a ball. Over at east coast billiards (not doing to hot anymore) they have a wooden one. Every friday night people would go there and bet it up on keno. Highest stakes I ever seen was $500/$1000. I dont know if you know the rules basically if you get over 61 or get a keno everyone gives you $500. If you get a double keno (only one on the board) or you get exactly 61 (doubling out) everyone gives you $1000. Or whatever your playing for. I only played a couple times didnt really like it much. Most I played for was $10/$20 I was down about $200 in 10 minutes!! Took me all night long but I actually ended up winning $100. Now no one goes to east coast everyone goes to gators. There use to be some big money keno there but for the most part its only played for $1/$2 anymore. I think everyone got tired of it. Now people just match up. But like jam said you dont have to be a good pool player to play it just hit a ball and hope it sticks on the board.

DickLeonard
04-10-2005, 06:07 PM
The Troy nineball breaker was banned from breaking Keno he would always get over 61 on the break. His best break was 12 balls up on the board.####

Billy
04-11-2005, 12:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> The Troy nineball breaker was banned from breaking Keno he would always get over 61 on the break. His best break was 12 balls up on the board.#### <hr /></blockquote>

sheesh! 12 balls on the board in one shot - that has to be on par with pocketing all balls on a 9 ball break.unbelievable but coming from you Leonard,believable

keno is action - thanks for all the replies

jmo