PDA

View Full Version : Any opinion on those Chinese import cues?

RottingMindz
04-09-2005, 04:44 PM
I recently went to a cue shop and the owner showed them to me, on the outside they look well made, but I didn't get to try them, anyone shot with those? If yes, are there any particular brands that you recommend?

SecaucusFats
04-09-2005, 10:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RottingMindz:</font><hr> I recently went to a cue shop and the owner showed them to me, on the outside they look well made, but I didn't get to try them, anyone shot with those? If yes, are there any particular brands that you recommend? <hr /></blockquote>

I've knocked a few balls around with them and I would not recommend them to anyone except a beginner on a very limited budget. IMO, you're better off buying a lower priced model from an American cue manufacturer such as a Viking or McDermott. There are some fairly decent Chinese made cues (Lucasi comes to mind), but you can get better quality in a compably priced American made cue. The made in USA cue may not sport as many inlays and such, but it will darn sure hold up better in the long run. One other thing.. buying American preserves American jobs.

LJC_Cues
04-10-2005, 03:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SecaucusFats:</font><hr>
The made in USA cue may not sport as many inlays and such, but it will darn sure hold up better in the long run. One other thing.. buying American preserves American jobs. <hr /></blockquote>

Very well said SF!! Tap, Tap, Tap

RottingMindz
04-10-2005, 07:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've knocked a few balls around with them and I would not recommend them to anyone except a beginner on a very limited budget. IMO, you're better off buying a lower priced model from an American cue manufacturer such as a Viking or McDermott. There are some fairly decent Chinese made cues (Lucasi comes to mind), but you can get better quality in a compably priced American made cue. The made in USA cue may not sport as many inlays and such, but it will darn sure hold up better in the long run. One other thing.. buying American preserves American jobs.<hr /></blockquote>
What was particular about the cue that made you dislike it, if you can even describe it.
Anybody have any ideas on how they are different from American-made? Type of wood maybe? Manufacturing techniques won't be that much different right?

MrLucky
04-10-2005, 08:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RottingMindz:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
I've knocked a few balls around with them and I would not recommend them to anyone except a beginner on a very limited budget. IMO, you're better off buying a lower priced model from an American cue manufacturer such as a Viking or McDermott. There are some fairly decent Chinese made cues (Lucasi comes to mind), but you can get better quality in a compably priced American made cue. The made in USA cue may not sport as many inlays and such, but it will darn sure hold up better in the long run. One other thing.. buying American preserves American jobs.<hr /></blockquote>
What was particular about the cue that made you dislike it, if you can even describe it.
Anybody have any ideas on how they are different from American-made? Type of wood maybe? <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red">..."Manufacturing techniques won't be that much different right?"..... </font color>

<font color="green">Wrong this is precisely where the differences and cost cutting are found ! take a look at this video showing one of the premier production processes in America link to video! (http://www.mcdermottcue.com/PAGES/Misc/IMAGES/McDermott%20Factory%20Video%20Tour.mpg) and then answer that question on your own! without cheaper and less skilled labor, cheaper woods and less time and money spent on curing and processing that wood no one can sell a cue for that much less $60-75 dollars and less in some cases and provide a quality long lived life span and user satisfaction! This is why some cue companies (well at least 1 that I know of LOL!) provide a LIFETIME gaurantee against defects and WARPAGE! while these cues come with the lowest term possible if any at all! Just basic business 101! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif