PDA

View Full Version : A sad day for pool and mankind in general

Kato
04-11-2005, 10:35 AM
Yesterday at the too young age of 60, Ernie Kornona, father, pool player, and friend, passed away from a heart attack.

I've known Ernie for many years and we've competed very hard on the table but have always been friends. When our pool room didn't have a tournament Ernie started one. When one of the young guys needed to learn something Ernie would take him aside and teach him. I've been working with Ernie for years on how to draw his ball and in the last few months he'd finally figured it out. He smiled big whenever he did it, like he'd unlocked the last key to his game to get him where he wanted to go. When Phil called me this morning I was away from my office and while listening to his message I sat stunned and in shock.

For the last year or so Ernie has been traveling for work to help support his family better. He walked into our league match after missing 4 or 5 weeks wearing a name tag and walked around introducing himself to everyone on our team. Got a great laugh out of all of us. Ernie could always make you smile.

He also was a CCB lurker and proudly walked around with a CCB keychain on his pool case.

Ernie, if you're reading this I'll miss you terribly as will many of us. The pool playing community, your pool team, your friends, and family will always have nothing but fond memories of you. Sleep well my friend.

R.J.

Rich R.
04-11-2005, 10:40 AM
I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend.

JackPot_George
04-11-2005, 11:29 AM
I second Kato's post.

I am also in the league where we played for the past 4 years.

They say that a gentleman is known not for what he wears or the title he holds or the way he speaks but by the way he handles himself in the table.

Ernie was a true gentleman. Always smiling no matter what the outcome. A knowledgable person and a friend.

My wife and I will miss him dearly.

To Ernie, may you play with the pool gods and watch over us to bring the best of the game just like you did.

I am not saying goodby but so long.

JackPot_George & his wife Patricia

John in NH
04-11-2005, 11:38 AM
Hi Kato,

Sorry to hear of your loss, my prayers go out to you, friends, and family.

Sincerely,

John

Steve Lipsky
04-11-2005, 11:55 AM
Hey Kato. I am very sorry for your loss. Anyone of whom you speak that highly must've been one of the good ones.

Remember the good times, and the times you shared together, and his memory will always live on.

Sorry old friend,
Steve

Gayle in MD
04-11-2005, 12:04 PM
So sorry friend, I'll be think of you...

Gayle in Md.,

CarolNYC
04-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Sorry for your loss,RJ /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Carol

Wally_in_Cincy
04-11-2005, 12:25 PM
sorry about your friend Kato. That sucks. I agree, 60 is way too young.

I'm sure he would appreciate your post.

Barbara
04-11-2005, 12:51 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss, Kato. Think of hom now as getting some lessons from some of the best up there.

Barbara

9 Ball Girl
04-11-2005, 12:54 PM
Sorry for your loss, R.J.

Scott Lee
04-11-2005, 01:40 PM
RJ...Sorry for the loss of your friend! Our prayers go with him!

Scott

Brian in VA
04-11-2005, 02:07 PM
I'm very sorry for the loss of someone so dear to you and everyone that met him. May he be in heaven for a half hour before the devil knows he's there.

Brian in VA

JMD in VA
04-11-2005, 06:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brian in VA:</font><hr> I'm very sorry for the loss of someone so dear to you and everyone that met him. May he be in heaven for a half hour before the devil knows he's there.

Brian in VA <hr /></blockquote>

Tap Tap BK. May it go that way for all of us!
RJ You are in my prayers. I am sorry for your loss!

Rod
04-11-2005, 10:20 PM
I'm so sorry to hear a good friend has passed RJ. You held him in high esteem, comming from your heart. Ernie still lives on in everyone heart he touched. Stay well my friend and remember the good times.

Rod

RUNaRAK
04-12-2005, 05:36 AM
This forum is so unlike the others. It seems that there are really caring folks on this board. It is quite refreshing to see people lift one another up in these types of situations. "A real Family at CCB"
My thoughts are with you at this time as well. May he be with the Lord!

Respectfully,

Joe Koontz

DickLeonard
04-13-2005, 07:34 AM
Kato I was going to post, it was nice seeing you posting again and then I read this post and the only thing I can say is life is precious,if we could only treat everyone with same dignity that a few of our fellowmen can, then the World would be much better off.
Sorry for pool loss,his family loss and his friends loss.####

SteveFromNY
04-13-2005, 12:04 PM
My condolences and sympathy go out to his family and friends. I too had experienced a recent death in the family and can only add that life truly is too precious and short. I'm glad the power of the internet has brought together good people like you to offer the support during times as these.

Steve

Kato
04-14-2005, 07:55 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind words. Today we laid Ernie to rest. He would have liked all of your replies.

Oh, and look to see a little more from me. I miss you all.

Kato

cueball1950
04-14-2005, 07:58 PM
Kato..RJ... you have my deepest sympathy for your recent loss. I will put both of you in my prayers..........mike

9 Ball Girl
04-15-2005, 08:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Oh, and look to see a little more from me. I miss you all.<hr /></blockquote>I'm glad that you'll be visiting more often. I missed you A LOT. And I am soooo horrible with phoning people that I'm surprised that I even have any friends.

Ernie is in Pool Heaven now.

Kato
04-15-2005, 06:27 PM
Ha, like I'm the greatest friend in the world when it comes to making phone calls /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kato