PDA

View Full Version : Need an urgent reply - US Open question

thecardman
04-11-2005, 11:20 AM
Hi guys

Here in Scotland, we are starting to run qualifiers to send a player to this year's US Open - expenses paid. One question has, however, cropped up due to our large "junior" contingent who play on the Scottish 9-Ball Tour.

Is there an age restriction on players at the US Open?

None of us here know - although some of us (myself included) think that it is 21. Can anyone confirm this before we fully start the qualification process?

Many thanks in advance on behalf of everyone involved.

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brady_Behrman
04-11-2005, 11:27 AM
We have had several 12,13 yr old players (Charlie Williams played at 14 or 15). You do not have to be 21 to play. The U.S.Open is open to all men.

thecardman
04-11-2005, 11:31 AM
Brady

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Really appreciate the quick response - especially from one who REALLY knows!

Take care and (if I play out of my skin!) I may see you in September!

Best wishes

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SPetty
04-11-2005, 11:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brady_Behrman:</font><hr> The U.S.Open is open to all men. <hr /></blockquote>So when are you guys going to fix that?:

Brady_Behrman
04-11-2005, 11:34 AM
My father signed off the rights for the women to have THEIR own U.S.Open 9-Ball Championships. The women used to play here with the men but in seperate tournament.

Thanks,
Brady

SPetty
04-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Yeah, I know. We've been through this before.

I can't play with the women because their US "Open" isn't, yet any man or male child who pays the entry fee can play in the US "Open". Perhaps you could allow non-professional women to enter? Or rename it to the "Male Only Open"...

/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

It's stupid, that's all. And I somehow feel compelled to point it out every now and again.

Popcorn
04-11-2005, 11:53 AM
It is the Mens US open what is so hard to understand?

Billy
04-11-2005, 11:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brady_Behrman:</font><hr> My father signed off the rights for the women to have THEIR own U.S.Open 9-Ball Championships. The women used to play here with the men but in seperate tournament.

Thanks,
Brady <hr /></blockquote>

its just my opinion but think of the positive exposure it would generate if Karen Corr,Allison Fisher,etc were to do well against the men in the Open.after all it is an Open tournament right?!?

it also isn't a coincidence that the women usually host one of their tournaments at the same time as the US Open

maybe one of these days we'll have our act TOGETHER instead of all the in-fighting that constantly goes on within the industry and players (male and female).its holding us back bigtime

let's just play the best possible pool that we are able and conduct ourselves in professional manners,gender aside

jmo

SPetty
04-11-2005, 12:01 PM
It is hard to understand why they call it "Open" when it's not. It is hard to understand why they don't call it the "Men's US Open" if that's what it is. (Had they called it that, I never would have made a peep.)

It is hard to understand why they won't let women play. (I like to think it's 'cause they're scared they'll lose to a woman /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

It is hard to understand why so many people just don't care.

It is hard to understand why there is so much hatred and cruelty in this world.

Billy
04-11-2005, 12:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> It is the Mens US open what is so hard to understand? <hr /></blockquote>

I'm sure I've been around pool as long as you have popcorn but have never seen it referred to as the men's US Open

jmo

Popcorn
04-11-2005, 12:12 PM
I doubt they would play even if permitted, they would get drilled and it would not do them much good publicly. There may be only a few women in the world even marginally capable of playing and doing well and I don't think you want a bunch of women playing just because they can producing horrible one sided matches, people pay to watch this thing, they would be walking out. The quality of their play as a whole is well below the men, just a fact. I am not sure if any woman has ever even won any of the small regional tours such as the Joss tours that they are permitted to play in. I think the tournament should not reduce it's self to a novelty act just for some press, it's a quality tournament and should not be tampered with. My God, could you imagine amateur women playing as was suggested in another post. It would be like a bunch of bye's on the board, it would be a joke, you can't charge people to watch that.

Popcorn
04-11-2005, 12:16 PM
That tournament is a risky proposition at best and the ones putting up the money have to do what they think is right. They would have people walking out with a bunch of unqualified women playing just because they could. I wouldn't but a ticket to watch. Maybe they should add the word "Men's" to the title, I see nothing wrong with that.

Popcorn
04-11-2005, 12:20 PM
They should call it the mens US open, because that is what it is. Either way those trying to make it an issue are being ridicules.

SPetty
04-11-2005, 12:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> That tournament is a risky proposition at best and the ones putting up the money have to do what they think is right. They would have people walking out with a bunch of unqualified women playing just because they could. I wouldn't buy a ticket to watch. Maybe they should add the word "Men's" to the title, I see nothing wrong with that. <hr /></blockquote>I understand what you're saying, but I still can't seem to agree. They let a bunch of unqualified men and boys play just because they can.

I don't know where they make their money on this thing, but I believe that if they let women play, they would easily get much more in entry fees, and I believe there would be more spectator types - more women spectators, and many more men spectators (spouses, boyfriends, bodyguards, voyeurs, etc.) More people period, I think, coming and paying and buying. More entrants = more people. I doubt any men would not enter just because women were allowed to play. In fact, some may chauvinistically believe that it would be like getting a "bye" so maybe even more men would enter on the hopes of drawing a woman!

I agree, add the word "Men's" to the title.

9 Ball Girl
04-11-2005, 12:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I doubt they would play even if permitted, they would get drilled and it would not do them much good publicly. There may be only a few women in the world even marginally capable of playing and doing well and I don't think you want a bunch of women playing just because they can producing horrible one sided matches, people pay to watch this thing, they would be walking out. The quality of their play as a whole is well below the men, just a fact. I am not sure if any woman has ever even won any of the small regional tours such as the Joss tours that they are permitted to play in. I think the tournament should not reduce it's self to a novelty act just for some press, it's a quality tournament and should not be tampered with. My God, could you imagine amateur women playing as was suggested in another post. It would be like a bunch of bye's on the board, it would be a joke, you can't charge people to watch that. <hr /></blockquote>Tap, tap, tappity tap tap!

9 Ball Girl
04-11-2005, 12:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy:</font><hr>it also isn't a coincidence that the women usually host one of their tournaments at the same time as the US Open<hr /></blockquote>According to the WPBA schedule from their site, they have nothing scheduled for September. This year.

pooltchr
04-11-2005, 12:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> I understand what you're saying, but I still can't seem to agree. They let a bunch of unqualified men and boys play just because they can. <hr /></blockquote>
You beat me to the punch on that one. If you are a male, the only qualification is handing over the entry fee. But the most qualified female in the world can't get in. It's either an open or it isn't. I never quite understood that one.
Steve

Billy
04-11-2005, 12:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I doubt they would play even if permitted, they would get drilled and it would not do them much good publicly. There may be only a few women in the world even marginally capable of playing and doing well and I don't think you want a bunch of women playing just because they can producing horrible one sided matches, people pay to watch this thing, they would be walking out. The quality of their play as a whole is well below the men, just a fact. I am not sure if any woman has ever even won any of the small regional tours such as the Joss tours that they are permitted to play in. I think the tournament should not reduce it's self to a novelty act just for some press, it's a quality tournament and should not be tampered with. My God, could you imagine amateur women playing as was suggested in another post. It would be like a bunch of bye's on the board, it would be a joke, you can't charge people to watch that. <hr /></blockquote>

overall you are correct but I've played in the open a dozen times and have seen men play that couldn't draw their ball as well.the beginning of the tournament always has wannabes that are just fillers.

as far as the women,if I'm not mistaken,Karen Corr beat Jim Rempe not once in the finals but twice coming from the losers side of a Joss tour double elimination event.and I seem to remember the scores as identical 9 to 5 wins.Believe me,Rempe wanted to win and was out-played.

yes only a handful of women or less can play with the men but there are some that would be beneficial in the long run.

one more example - a couple of years ago at Hopkin's expo the pro men as well as the pro women played separate events at the same venue.You have the best men in the world playing their event - plenty of seats available.The women's event you couldn't get a seat,standing room only.For whatever reason the women are appealing whether they continue to constantly bruise the rails or not.

I just think it would be good for the game especially if one of the girls did well in an event considering the magnitude of the US Open

jmo

Billy
04-11-2005, 01:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy:</font><hr>it also isn't a coincidence that the women usually host one of their tournaments at the same time as the US Open<hr /></blockquote>According to the WPBA schedule from their site, they have nothing scheduled for September. This year. <hr /></blockquote>

specifically now because the women tell their players that they can not participate in men's events.this was not the case up until last year I think.

Fact but still jmo

9 Ball Girl
04-11-2005, 01:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy:</font><hr>specifically now because the women tell their players that they can not participate in men's events.this was not the case up until last year I think.

Fact but still jmo <hr /></blockquote>Hmmm. Do you think that the men should be allowed to play in the Women's U.S. Open 9 Ball? Or maybe not 'cause WPBA is in the title. I'm not trying to be smart here. Eventhough this subject has come up before, this is the first time that I'm thinking of the massacre that would occur if the men played in the Women's.

Popcorn
04-11-2005, 01:12 PM
"I understand what you're saying, but I still can't seem to agree. They let a bunch of unqualified men and boys play just because they can."

That does of shoot down that point of my argument and however true was a pretty dopey point since many of the men that play can't beat anyone either.. The idea behind an open tournament is, that all you need is the entry fee to play. It is the Rocky theme, a guy like Tommy Kennedy can have the opportunity to show up and win. It also means there needs to be seeding so these players play more in the beginning of the tournament and get thinned out before the serious tournament really gets started with the survivors continuing. They should add the term Men's to the name and put an end to this, as it comes up every year.

Popcorn
04-11-2005, 01:22 PM
It may be that it would be a good idea to have a tournament with the best men and women players. I was wrong with the play quality as a point, there are a lot of the men who are just average players and would not beat many of the women players. It was a dumb point.

Popcorn
04-11-2005, 01:26 PM
Wasen't there a time what it was a limited tournament? I remember a few years ago I had a friend who wanted to play and was not allowed because he was not a very good player.

Billy
04-11-2005, 01:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy:</font><hr>specifically now because the women tell their players that they can not participate in men's events.this was not the case up until last year I think.

Fact but still jmo <hr /></blockquote>Hmmm. Do you think that the men should be allowed to play in the Women's U.S. Open 9 Ball? Or maybe not 'cause WPBA is in the title. I'm not trying to be smart here. Eventhough this subject has come up before, this is the first time that I'm thinking of the massacre that would occur if the men played in the Women's. <hr /></blockquote>

absolutely not should the men be allowed to play with the women.they are in a league of their own and it certainly would be lopsided.

my point is that I want the game to grow beyond what has transpired in the past.The men,however bad their habits, would benefit as a whole if a woman was able to participate equally,pool is one such sport.The media would grasp this as a novelty and wouldn't let go.I've always said our success in the corporate world of marketing and sponsorship would be reliant upon women players.we have such a bad image but its changing constantly with more attractive and professional women playing our sport(by professional women I mean lawyers doctors etc).

we need a prominent woman player to step up and show the sports world what our beloved game is really about.yes it would be both a novelty and a spectacle but would be wonderful exposure for the game we all love and care so much for overall

jmo

Barbara
04-11-2005, 01:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> It may be that it would be a good idea to have a tournament with the best men and women players. <hr /></blockquote>

Now there's an idea!

Barbara

9 Ball Girl
04-11-2005, 01:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy:</font><hr> we need a prominent woman player to step up and show the sports world what our beloved game is really about.<hr /></blockquote>I think Jean Balukas tried that some time ago...

Billy
04-11-2005, 01:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy:</font><hr> we need a prominent woman player to step up and show the sports world what our beloved game is really about.<hr /></blockquote>I think Jean Balukas tried that some time ago... <hr /></blockquote>

yes she did.I saw her beat Buddy Hall and Mizerak in a small tournament down south somewhere.they didn't like it either.Steve started the complaints that a woman should play with the women and a man with the men but imo that was 20 years ago and so much has changed in that time span.we need to repeat that scene at such an event like the US Open.that's exactly my point young lady

btw Jean Balukas has always been a favorite player in my book.sure wish she'd un-retire.she's the best ever woman player,bar none.

jmo

Billy
04-11-2005, 02:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> It may be that it would be a good idea to have a tournament with the best men and women players. I was wrong with the play quality as a point, there are a lot of the men who are just average players and would not beat many of the women players. It was a dumb point. <hr /></blockquote>

a women against the men made-for-TV event would be right on time,maybe mixed scotch whatever.

just let someone showcase our game somehow somewhere someway

jmo

9 Ball Girl
04-11-2005, 02:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy:</font><hr>young lady<hr /></blockquote>Thanks!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy:</font><hr>she's the best ever woman player,bar none.<hr /></blockquote>Damn right.

pooltchr
04-11-2005, 02:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy:</font><hr> a women against the men made-for-TV event would be right on time,maybe mixed scotch whatever.
<hr /></blockquote>

How about Allison and Earl (Team Cuetec) vs Rodney and Kelly Fisher (Team Fury)?

Steve Lipsky
04-11-2005, 02:27 PM
I am not a big fan of the mixed tournament format for major events. My only experience with it has been the 2000 Amsterdam 14.1 tournament (maybe 1999?).

Jeanette played in that tournament, and I don't know how to describe it. Now, Jeanette's a good straight pool player, and in skill alone she definitely deserved to be playing in that tournament.

But all I can say is that her matches were not about pool. They were spectacles. She beat three of the old-timers, and that had become the whole story. Anyone that saw the end of her match with one of them knows how pathetic it was. This guy had like 10 innings to make 8 balls and could not do it, and he's one of the greats.

Was he dogging it because he might lose to a woman (and to his generation, this was a big taboo)? Probably. Is that Jeanette's problem? Of course not. But my view is that I'm not looking to watch circus shows when I watch a major tournament. I want to see good pool where there are no outside influences weighing on each player's performance.

As long as we are not disallowing people to play in tournaments based on race, sexual tendencies, religion, etc... I do not think it's a big deal to separate them based on gender.

I also don't think all additional media attention is a good thing. In this case, if they let women into the tournament, all the media would have the same story, "Can the women compete with the men? [Insert top female name here] thinks so... and if her 11-0 drubbing of Joe Blow in the 1st round is any indication, she's right. [Cut to ridiculous scene of top female player making hanger.]" The eventual winner of the tournament might not even be named. Is this good media attention? All it's done is turn a well-respected tournament into a sideshow. The story isn't about pool excellence. It's about women breaking barriers. Should this be the story of the US Open?

As a sidenote about women in male tournaments being good for the game, here's my evidence why that just ain't so. After Jeanette beat those 3 legends, resulting in quite a bit of media attention, do you know how many major straight pool events Amsterdam has been able to hold since then? Zero.

I agree with many of the other posters, though. Most of the women that would play in something like this would be better players than at least 30-40% of the field, with Allison/Karen being better than 85% of the field. I'm not sure if this is the point though...

Just my opinion,
Steve

Popcorn
04-11-2005, 03:19 PM
If I remember right, didn't she carry on almost on what could be the verge of bad sportsmanship? Laughing woofing carrying on with the audience even when the other player was at the table. I think Bobby Maidoff played he and won but it was awful for him to have to play. I suspect if he had said something to her during the match he would have been accused of being intimidated by a woman or himself being a bad sport so he put up with it.

Popcorn
04-11-2005, 03:44 PM
As long as it is presented with some class and not with usual woofing and silliness. Don't count on it though.

CarolNYC
04-12-2005, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[Cut to ridiculous scene of top female player making hanger <hr /></blockquote>

Steve,Steve,Steve,
LMAO-you forgot about the "applause" for the hanger!
DING! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Carol

Steve Lipsky
04-12-2005, 07:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> [Cut to ridiculous scene of top female player making hanger.] <hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Carol:</font><hr> Steve,Steve,Steve,
LMAO-you forgot about the "applause" for the hanger!

Carol <hr /></blockquote>

OMG Carol... yep, that would have made it perfect. Guess we should work as a team from now on /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

- Steve

Rich R.
04-12-2005, 08:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr>
How about Allison and Earl (Team Cuetec) vs Rodney and Kelly Fisher (Team Fury)? <hr /></blockquote>
I'm sure this fantasy event could easily become a reality. Cuetec and Fury just have to open their wallets and talk to ESPN.
They can even make it a series of challenge matches, using different formats, something like a mini Mosconi Cup.

SPetty
04-12-2005, 10:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> My only experience with it has been the 2000 Amsterdam 14.1 tournament.

Jeanette's a good straight pool player, and in skill alone she definitely deserved to be playing in that tournament.

She beat three of the old-timers ... This guy had like 10 innings to make 8 balls and could not do it

Was he dogging it because he might lose to a woman? Probably. Is that Jeanette's problem? Of course not.

As long as we are not disallowing people to play in tournaments based on race, sexual tendencies, religion, etc... I do not think it's a big deal to separate them based on gender.

Most of the women that would play in something like this would be better players than at least 30-40% of the field...<hr /></blockquote>I can see your points, but they don't seem to support the conclusion.

This is obviously too much of an emotional issue for macho guys that don't want to play with the girls.

I'm sorry I mentioned it, and I'm truly sorry things will never change.

Popcorn
04-12-2005, 10:50 AM
Why is it not OK for men or women to have their own thing without it becoming an issue? I don't see it as a rights issue or some kind of discrimination. I can't understand why you feel this is the case. You must feel that way or you would not have mentioned it in the first place. Even your choice of words, such as "macho guys ", I don't get what you are trying to stir up. It is a non issue as far as pretty much every player is concerned. I don't know, Barry would be the right person to answer, but have any of the women players been complaining or even asking to play?

Steve Lipsky
04-12-2005, 11:42 AM
Hey Susan... I wrote this just before running out the door, and had no time to edit it. I knew my last paragraph had nothing to do with the rest, but I wanted to include it anyway.

The gist of the post ended in the previous paragraph, but of course you or anyone else had no way to know that, lol.

- Steve &lt;--- knew it made no sense as he hit "continue" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

SPetty
04-12-2005, 01:58 PM
Maybe we should take this off line, big fella, since no one else seems to care... And I surely hope you're not reading some sort of non-intended attitude into my text. But to address your questions so that you don't think I'm ignoring you:

Why is it not OK for men or women to have their own thing without it becoming an issue?

As we've both agreed, they should call a spade a spade and call it the Men's US Open and then we'll all understand. As it is right now, the only Open I can't enter is the US Open. I can enter other Open events because they are Open (well, except for the WPBA Open /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif). The US Open is not Open in the sense of being Open, and they shouldn't pretend that it is.

I don't see it as a rights issue or some kind of discrimination. I can't understand why you feel this is the case. You must feel that way or you would not have mentioned it in the first place.

That's not true. You're making an assumption. I didn't use those words, nor would I use those words when discussing this. I am obviously inept at discussing this if my position is coming through as though I'm calling this a rights issue or discrimination.

I am mostly coming from the "improving the sport" position (with a little "truth in advertising" thrown in). I truly believe that only positive things can come from allowing men and women to compete in pool together, particularly in the US Open. There may be a little "getting used to it" period, but in the near-term long run it would make the men stronger players and it would make the women stronger players. There are a lot of pool players, men and women, who choose to not pursue playing pool as a profession, but who are or could be just as strong as those that do. They have limited resources and can't take off work all the time to "qualify" for events and such. These are the players that I would like to see in the Open events, regardless of gender.

I think the US Open would have a lot more entrants, a lot more spectators and make a lot more money as well if it were open to women pool players. As much as I try, I can't see the downside. So, I can only surmise that it must be an emotional response by macho guys to keep the last bastion of machismo intact.

And if, as you said before, most women wouldn't play even if permitted, then what's the big deal?

Even your choice of words, such as "macho guys", I don't get what you are trying to stir up.

I actually looked it up before I used it to make sure I was using it properly - macho: characterized by machismo: a strong sense of masculine pride. I don't think it's usage is out of line here.

I'm not trying to stir up anything. I just somehow feel compelled to remind Brady (and hopefully Barry by proxy) every now and then that what they call "Open" isn't, and that they might want to consider allowing women to play. I mean, c'mon, they let children play! Does it really make sense that they would let children play, but not women? How can that be the right thing? How can that be good for the sport?

But after my good-natured poke at Brady, you started picking on me and wouldn't let it drop, so I had to respond to your posts or you would think I was ignoring you.

It is a non issue as far as pretty much every player is concerned.

So? Most things we discuss here on a daily basis are pretty much non-issues to pretty much every player But, to tell you the truth, I really am mostly stunned and flabbergasted that everyone here but me (and maybe Billy) agrees with you and thinks everything is just fine and dandy like it is.

I don't know, Barry would be the right person to answer, but have any of the women players been complaining or even asking to play?

If you're referring to WPBA professional women players, probably not since they have their own "Open". If you're talking about non-WPBA professional women players, I hope so!

Again, I'm sorry I mentioned it, and I'm truly sorry things will never change.

But I won't agree that it's right.

Now can we stop with this?

CarolNYC
04-12-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Guess we should work as a team from now on <hr /></blockquote>

We've always been-just one thing,have to find a "no laugh" remedy-the" hanging ball" applause,cm'on now!-I can't! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Carol

Sid_Vicious
04-12-2005, 03:01 PM
"I really am mostly stunned and flabbergasted that everyone here but me (and maybe Billy) agrees with you and thinks everything is just fine and dandy like it is."

Gimme the short version SPetty, as I've not read this thread before this post. Does most of everyone here seem to agree that the seperation between the sexes, including the US Open, is correctomundo? I've always been an avid proponent of strengthening the field and opening all events to enable mixing of the sexes. Hope I didn't step in something here...sid

Scott Lee
04-12-2005, 03:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr>

As a sidenote about women in male tournaments being good for the game, here's my evidence why that just ain't so. After Jeanette beat those 3 legends, resulting in quite a bit of media attention, do you know how many major straight pool events Amsterdam has been able to hold since then? Zero.

Just my opinion,
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Steve...Surely you don't believe Jeanette beating some guys has prevented more 14.1 tournaments? Straight pool has been in a national (and international) decline for decades. The last U.S. Open in NYC was a disaster. That tournament was not repeated because it was a big money loser for the sponsors (Blatt Billiards et al). IMO, it is more related to a decline in interest in 14.1 (to my personal sorrw), as it has been supplanted by 9-Ball, which is all you see on tv now.

Scott

Steve Lipsky
04-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Hey Scott. No, my point wasn't that Jeanette playing prevented future tournaments. It was to suggest that a point made by others - that women can serve to help these tournaments - isn't necessarily true.

In other words, she played the tournament, she got a lot of attention for beating some legendary players... and where was this mythical help for future tournaments? Amsterdam never bothered to hold another one.

- Steve

Barbara
04-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Sid,

What the gist of the argument is, The US Open is not open to women and the WPBA's US Open is not open at all whereas any male player can enter Barry's US Open.

Barbara

Scott Lee
04-12-2005, 03:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> Amsterdam never bothered to hold another one.

- Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Steve...I respect your opinion a lot, but I'm still skeptical. Did Amsterdam hold regular 'professional style' 14.1 events BEFORE Jeanette played in the last one?
I don't know, but I would doubt it. For whatever reason, that particular game is in serious national decline. The Hunts probably don't see any interest in the game. BTW, out of curiosity, how many players entered the last straight pool event there(the one we're talking about here)? Expert 14.1 players like yourself have no qualms about playing somebody like J.L., and there are 10x more excellent young players than the old time guys. If the interest were there, don't you think the Hunt Bros. would step up? They really seem to love and support pool in a big way in NYC.

Scott

Steve Lipsky
04-12-2005, 03:49 PM
Hey Scott. I respect your opinion very much also. Aren't we kind of saying the same thing, though? We're both sort of coming to the conclusion that Jeanette's presence in the tournament, her strong showing, and any related stories in the media, did not help 14.1 tournaments.

Your point seems to be a little slanted towards the fact that 14.1 was dying anyway, so maybe nothing would save it. I will concede that.

- Steve

Scott Lee
04-12-2005, 03:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr>
Your point seems to be a little slanted towards the fact that 14.1 was dying anyway, so maybe nothing would save it. I will concede that.

- Steve <hr /></blockquote>

That's EXACTLY my point, my friend! It has less to do with J.L. playing, than disinterest! Sad, but true, to see a slow death for such a magnificent game, with such a storied history! Sure is great that we can debate things like adults, without having to resort to the petty name calling and other insults that I see on so many other boards! Really looking forward to meeting you when I make it to NYC!

Scott