PDA

View Full Version : banks with only 9 balls

06-05-2002, 07:08 PM
A few days ago I saw a couple people playing banks with only 9 balls. Is it the same as banks with 15 balls. I always played with 15 balls when I played in the 60s. Is there any type of ball in hand rule? Is there any type of safety rule in banks? Thanks.

Jay M
06-05-2002, 07:52 PM
It's called "short rack" bank pool and is exactly the same rule set as the full rack version with the exception of only needing 5 balls to win rather than 8. Safeties are allowed and a foul costs you a ball (I'm not sure when it is spotted, but one comes up to make the points work)

Jay M

Tom_In_Cincy
06-05-2002, 07:57 PM
Very popular game in the mid-west. Along with One-pocket.

Short rack 9 ball banks is one of the three games featured in the Jan. 2003 Derby City Classic in Louisville KY..

The other two games are One-Pocket and 9 ball.

Format is single elimination, with a one time buy back option. No brackets, after each round, matches are determined by a re-draw of all remaining opponents, including any that choose to buy back into the tournament.

Love the short rack 9 ball.

Chris Cass
06-05-2002, 07:57 PM
After the inning of the person that fouled. Normally, play it on a bar box but I've played a lot on the 9ft too.

Regards,

C.C.

06-05-2002, 08:04 PM
I haven't played any banks since 70. I don't remember losing a ball on a foul back then. And I don't remember any safetys. Is it like 9 ball. On each shot after contact is made does a ball have to be either pocketed or a ball, including the cue ball, have to hit a rail? Thanks again.

Tom_In_Cincy
06-05-2002, 08:15 PM
All general rules of pool apply.
Ball must hit a rail after contact.
On the break, a ball must hit a rail. (just like in one pocket)
Safeties may be played at anytime. (like freezing the cue ball behind another ball, making impossible to bank anything, and forcing your opponent to play a safety)

If you get a chance, come to Louisville in Jan 2003 and watch or even play.. it only cost $75 to enter the bank tournament and you get a players pass for the entire event. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.derbycityclassic.com/index.htm>http://www.derbycityclassic.com/index.htm</a>