PDA

View Full Version : A CC update

Karatemom
04-11-2005, 07:02 PM
I have received so many emails and PM's that it is easier to post a response than to write everyone back, so I hope you all don't mind.

I do check the board daily, or at least try to, but almost never have the time to actually sit and reply to anything. My days and nights are long lately, don't get much rest or relaxation of my own, so I take advantage of any peace and quiet I can get.

We took Chris to the CTCA, Cancer Treatment Centers of America, north of Chicago, on April 1 to see if their drs could do anything for him as his local dr seems to have crapped out. This is why we were unable to attend the IA State event. He had numerous tests, consultations, etc. on that Friday, Monday, and Tuesday.

After all the tests were done, the dr stated that there does not appear to be any cancer in his lungs, however, it has spread in his liver and bones. So the current plan of action, which is tentative, is to start chemo this Thursday. A different kind of regimen than he ever had here, including conventional and non-conventional therapies. The treatment will last 3 days every month for 3 months before more tests are ran.

He is still very weak and frail to be able to handle any type of chemo regimen, however, they have a plan for that as well. Since last Thursday, I have been taught how to give him a TPN feeding. He gets all the nutrition he needs, without having to eat, from an IV sort of bag that is connected to his Hickman port. Although he does not have to eat, he still gets hungry, which is a good sign, and eats until he is full, another good sign. He has gained 3 pounds in 2 days, BTW!

He will receive the TPN until Thursday when he goes back up to the CTCA, where he will receive it along with the chemo and any other treatments necessary. He will be inpatient, so they can watch him for side effects, etc, for this first regimen.

So for now, he is trying to get healthy and gain weight, however, is also dealing with water weight, which he takes a diuretic for, and pain from the water weight.

Well, so much for my peace and quiet, he just woke up, lol. That's about it anyway. I thank all of you for your concerns and thoughts. He needs to know that we're still pulling for him.

Heide

Barbara
04-11-2005, 07:15 PM
Hey Heide!

Thanks for the update! It's good to know that he's getting hungry and eating, that's a good sign!

BTW, tell CC that I finally got my Jack Justis case and it's a beauty!! I'll try and post pics of it and the "matching cue"! LOL!!

Take care Woman and Spike and CC!!

Barbara

Kato
04-11-2005, 08:12 PM
It was good to talk to you guys tonight. I miss all 3 of you.

Love

R.J.

Troy
04-11-2005, 08:17 PM
".....we're still pulling for him."
Now there's an understatement if I ever heard one...

CC is on my mind every day. As are you and Spike.
Hang in Heide.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> I have received so many emails and PM's that it is easier to post a response than to write everyone back, so I hope you all don't mind.

I do check the board daily, or at least try to, but almost never have the time to actually sit and reply to anything. My days and nights are long lately, don't get much rest or relaxation of my own, so I take advantage of any peace and quiet I can get.

We took Chris to the CTCA, Cancer Treatment Centers of America, north of Chicago, on April 1 to see if their drs could do anything for him as his local dr seems to have crapped out. This is why we were unable to attend the IA State event. He had numerous tests, consultations, etc. on that Friday, Monday, and Tuesday.

After all the tests were done, the dr stated that there does not appear to be any cancer in his lungs, however, it has spread in his liver and bones. So the current plan of action, which is tentative, is to start chemo this Thursday. A different kind of regimen than he ever had here, including conventional and non-conventional therapies. The treatment will last 3 days every month for 3 months before more tests are ran.

He is still very weak and frail to be able to handle any type of chemo regimen, however, they have a plan for that as well. Since last Thursday, I have been taught how to give him a TPN feeding. He gets all the nutrition he needs, without having to eat, from an IV sort of bag that is connected to his Hickman port. Although he does not have to eat, he still gets hungry, which is a good sign, and eats until he is full, another good sign. He has gained 3 pounds in 2 days, BTW!

He will receive the TPN until Thursday when he goes back up to the CTCA, where he will receive it along with the chemo and any other treatments necessary. He will be inpatient, so they can watch him for side effects, etc, for this first regimen.

So for now, he is trying to get healthy and gain weight, however, is also dealing with water weight, which he takes a diuretic for, and pain from the water weight.

Well, so much for my peace and quiet, he just woke up, lol. That's about it anyway. I thank all of you for your concerns and thoughts. He needs to know that we're still pulling for him.

Heide <hr /></blockquote>

Gayle in MD
04-11-2005, 10:09 PM
Love to you all. Think of you everyday.

Gayle in Md.

Leviathan
04-11-2005, 10:14 PM
Thinking of you all, Heide. It's a beautiful spring here; the trees are greening up and there are flowers everywhere. The first hummingbirds showed up a couple of days ago. My girlfriend and I sat on the porch and watched them this evening--very pleasant.

My dad is back here now after spending the winter in Florida. He liked it down there--it was warm! The guys at the PH are glad to see him again. He and I have been playing straight pool lately. He's hitting the ball pretty well. He's got a good eye for combinations.

My best to you all,
Alan

Rich R.
04-12-2005, 03:19 AM
Thanks for the update Heide.
We're always thinking of the three of you.
Stay well. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
04-12-2005, 04:05 AM
You sound tired Heidi. Please take care of yourself and remember we are all in this with you, and yet you are the very front line of it all. I personally only know one reason I could ever hold up to your kind of test and endurance throughout all of this, deep love. Pass mine along to Chris and tell him I am still praying, for him, for you and for Christ. Hang in there Girl...sid

DickLeonard
04-12-2005, 04:44 AM
Heide there isn't a day that I sign on to the CCB that Chris isn't in my mind and prayers and I know responses can take up your day.
Dick

rukiddingme
04-12-2005, 05:03 AM
Thanks much for the update Heide. You know we are all pulling hard for you guys.
Steve sends his regards.
Take care,
ruk

PQQLK9
04-12-2005, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the update Heide, we are still hoping and praying.

Love and Peace

Steve Lipsky
04-12-2005, 09:31 AM
Heide,

Please let the big guy know I'm thinking of you all. As another poster mentioned, he's the first thing I think about when I sign on everyday.

Hope you and Spike are doing well too, and hope I can see you all soon...

- Steve

Kato
04-15-2005, 06:32 PM
I spoke to Chris a little on Wednesday evening and he sounded pretty darn good and upbeat. He's finally putting on some pounds which should help with his strength. Heide is an amazing lady. She needs a day spa.

Kato

Harold Acosta
04-15-2005, 09:24 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with all of you. Please say hi to Chris, and that his buddy from Puerto Rico will cherish forever those few extra games we had with each other at the CCB Tournament.

God bless you all!

Qtec
04-16-2005, 10:27 AM
Tell CC he is in my thoughts.

Q ....best I can do KM..........